Souls of the Wild

Post all your stories, poems, and haiku's here!

Moderator: Moderators

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

Souls of the Wild

#1 Post by LuckyMudman »

It's a story I'm writing, not finished and doesn't seem like it will be anytime soon. It's a fantasy story, with the setting heavily inspired by the TwoKinds universe, with some slight changes so that it actually fits what I'm trying to say. The most notable difference is the lack of a Basitin race, with the story focused purely on two races and a change in how magic works in the story.

Note: The beast"?" race is called Kelrivan not because it's based on Keidran (It is based on them, yay), but because I changed it from Valkerian (it just didn't sound right, only later I remembered that it now sounds almost exactly like Keidran, maybe I'll change it later, word makes it easy to change something in the entire text.)

Note 2: I still don't know for sure how Keidran is pronounced, but Kelrivan goes as 'Kel-rih-vaan', if it means anything to you.

I'm having trouble with box today so I'm reuploading to a different file hosting site.

Chapter one: The Exile - http://www.4shared.com/office/66lvdTnP/ ... Exile.html
Chapter two: Companion - http://www.4shared.com/office/qwXLi6r6/ ... anion.html
Chapter three: As luck has it - http://www.4shared.com/office/v4_jF5kW/ ... as_it.html

I'll be leaving the short, out of context part below until I get to that point with the uploads.
Spoiler!
Nathan is a Human who found Yarlac's soul trapped in a crystal, by sheer luck they were succesful in transfering Yarlac's soul into Nathan, later finding out that Yarlac can control the body as well if Nathan let him. It makes for some uncomfortable moments since Yarlac is from the white tiger tribe, and with the time spent in the crystal, over a hundred years old now.

After the fight with the Arborus hound

He turned his head towards the cliff, realizing that there was a small cave leading inside, Yarlac limped over to the entrance and sat down, leaning on the cave wall. He breathed heavily and spat blood at the ground.

„And that... was a small beast. You're welcome... to take over now and try to heal... some of these wounds.“

After muttering those words Yarlac closed his eyes. Nathan felt all the pain and exhaustion, along with the pain of forcing his body over the limit he wasn't ready for. As he squinted one eye open he saw a small trail of blood coming from one of his legs, his clothes suffered a lot of scraping damage in the fall down the cliff and his back pained from the force of hitting the rock, but suprisingly, there seemed to be no major damage. He reached for his pouch and realized he lost it in the fall, along with all of his herbs, the knife was somewhere in the bottom of the river, along with his bow and the arrows either fell out or broke during the fall. He was injured and weaponless sitting in a cave next to a raging river.

„Isn't this nice, now how in the blazes did we survive that and what are we supposed to do now, all of my equipment ended up in the bottom of this canyon and my legs feel like they'll fall off.“

„At least we're alive. Barely, but alive.“

Nathan lifted his right arm, the leather glove was wet with warm blood and covered in gray, stone dust. „My arm feels strange, as if it's bigger than before.“

„It must have gotten bruised when I tried to slow down the fall.“

Nathan looked down at his body, his legs seemed to suffere most from the fall, and the feeling in his arm wasn't the one he would feel after being bruised. „It doesn't feel like it. I hope I didn't fracture a bone.“ He pulled off his glove and was stunnen by what he saw. His hand was covered in white fur with a black stripe going over the upper side of his palm.

„What in the blazes?“

Nathan quckly rolled up his sleeve, revealing the same white and black striped fur coming up his entire arm. „By the gods what is this!?“
He closed his eyes and let the arm drop to the ground. „I must be hallucinating, I must've hit my head somewhere. That isn't my hand.“
There was a moment of silence, but the panic in him didn't subside. Without opening his eyes he took of his other glove and grabbed a hold of his right hand. On the right hand he felt the usual touch and cold of skin, but his left hand told him he grabbed onto warm, soft fur. He shook his head, not believing his senses.

„This isn't happening.“

„Nathan, calm down, please.“

„How can I calm down?! Didn't you see what I saw?!“

„I saw it. Believe me, I have a hard time understanding it as well, but please get a hold of yourself.“

Nathan breathed deep and opened his eyes, his hand still looked the same. He extended it in front of him and turned it over. It looked as if there was an animal paw in front of him.

„No. It can't be.“

Yarlac's tone was a different form of denial than Nathan's. „I guess this is the part where you have some bad news for me?“ He let the arm drop in his lap.

„That arm... I don't know how to say this.“

Nathan tapped the back wall with his head. „Oh just spit it out.“

„That's my arm.“

Nathan stared at the ceeling. „Isn't that nice. And how do you figure a thing like that.“

„That's a white tiger's arm and I'll be damned if I can't recognize my own blazing fur pattern.“

Nathan remembered Yarlac telling him that he was a white tiger tribe Kelrivan.

„I think I know what caused this.“

Nathan stayed silent. „Remember when I taught you how to use mana. I felt the same strange feeling of unison with you back then as I did in the battle with the beast. Back then, all of your hair turned white, but it wasn't due to loss of pigmentation. The color changed to that of my hair, that was the same change as this.“

Nathan started laughing. „I guess we found out the bad side of our little 'Two souls in one body' experiment.“

„I guess we did, but it's no laughing matter.“

„Even if we get rescued from here, what do you think others will do once they see this. What do you think anyone will do, Human or Kelrivan?“

„You have a point but we'll figure this out.“

„That sounds impossible. How do you 'figure out' something like this?“

„Ha, impossible. It was impossible to trap someone's soul in a crystal. The one who did it thought impossible that I would retain my sanity until someone found me. We thought it impossible to place two souls in one vessel. We're surrounded by impossibilites being made possible.“

Nathan looked at his new hand. „I guess you're right.“ He took his gloves and put them back on, rolled his sleeves back up and looked at the result. You couldn't say what was underneath the clothes this way. „Seems it's a hiding game now.“
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Souls of the Wild

#2 Post by LuckyMudman »

I have finally managed to flesh out chapter one of my story. It's 27 pages long so I won't be copying it all into the forum post, rather I'm uploading it as a PDF file, which I'll do with the rest as I finish them. I'll also be updating the first post with links as I finish certain chapters.

Opinions do matter, don't hold out on me. I like to hear those critics, word of advice though, it starts out slowly so bear with me.

Box allows preview reading, but I recommend downloading the PDF file as the box's interface is wonky.
https://www.box.com/s/o4xs2w5eguav3yskdobp
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by LuckyMudman »

Updating the thread to let anyone who's interested know I've finished reworking chapter two. It's only a page longer than chapter one, I'm saying that just to warn people that there's quite a bit to read. I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter two: Companion - https://www.box.com/s/ss4bnx7v09o6byo8its9

As always, I'll be updating the first post as well. Also, if anyone has a problem with the files being PDF, I can upload them in a different format if you wish. The main reason I'm refraining from just c/p-ing into the forums is that I use a lot of Italic text, for reasons obvious in the story and the small paragraph I put in the first post and it's a pain seeping trough all of it adding the BBCode for italic.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by LuckyMudman »

Chapter three done. Also, new hosting site since box decided not to work, yay :|

Chatper three: As luck has it - http://www.4shared.com/office/v4_jF5kW/ ... as_it.html

I wonder if anyone is actually reading these, oh well, as long as I have inspiration I'll be writing.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by LuckyMudman »

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you like it. The lack of interest might be cause I'm uploading PDF files instead of just typing it out in forum posts (if I did that, I'd probably have a few pages on this thread by now)

Chapter four is going very slow due to college and what not, but I might just be done with it sometime next week. Of course, then I'll have to re-read a few times so I can correct grammar and style errors.

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by LuckyMudman »

Sooo, I deleted half of what I've written in chapter 4, now I have to rewrite a large part and then edit the later parts because CHANGES!!! I might just split it up into two chapters, since it's getting kinda long.
Yay work Image

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by LuckyMudman »

Thanks, about the names, I usually pick a name that would seem to fit the personality of the character I'm creating, but those are prone to changes while I'm writing. I don't usually delve deep into the meaning behind a certain name. Usually...

As far as the first three chapters go, I've written them some time before, not really sure how long, a month or two ago I think. These days the college is taking up large chunks of my free time.

Melissakmiller

#8 Post by Melissakmiller »

This is amazing. Read all three chapters within hours. I am anticipating chapter 4 even though it's fixing to be a year since you've last commented