Comic for February 29th, 2012

The comic stuff here.

Moderator: Moderators

TheDragonfiend
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Comic for February 29th, 2012

#31 Post by TheDragonfiend »

Being an ex eric hater turned supporter for some time now i will jump into this!!!

Notice mike still as no collar assuming he is using the collar for exactly what he is implying then mike will never have a collar and evals will get his freedom... If not trace is already buying them anyway to free them so meh
ImageImageImage

bsteven93
Master
Location: Under attack at the great giant!... help the... zo..om..bies...ar..e....com..om..ei...ei..eing!!!!!

#32 Post by bsteven93 »

avwolf wrote:
bsteven93 wrote:
Moviedude18.0 wrote:Umm, I don't think the spell prevents one from using the word "no" so much as it prevents being able to say "no" in response to an order. I think you're reading Roderick's words a bit too literally...
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/archive.php?p=292

yea i think it does prevent them from using no and probably anything to the same context as no
I have to side with Moviedude. The context is refusing an order, not expressing herself in the negative. Obviously slaves should be able to say "no" when it would be appropriate: "Has my morning appointment gotten here yet," "Do we need more food for the feast," and "Was that enough gold to pay the shopkeeper" are all questions for which a slave answering "no" could be appropriate and would be important. Kat shouldn't be able to say "No, I don't want to do that." She should be able to answer, "No, I don't know," if Eric asks her "Kat, can you speak Basitin?" Not permitting slaves to answer truthfully just because the answer in the negative is ridiculous. You're definitely taking Roderick too literally.
i was looking at the difference between what happened there in Rodrick's scene and now with Evals and i can see i did make a mistake there 2 different contexts one is a command while the other is more of a question then a command so all i can say is My bad... should have looked at the text more closely but if that said ether he says he did or didn't and we all know Evals didn't or did he O.O we must wait i hate waiting -.-
Are you looking for a story about seven lucky people who gain the powers of the gods to fight evil as pawns of greater game? then Read my story Crystalian 1st Tier: War Beckons here!

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#33 Post by AzeNaku »

BadFoMo wrote:
Leafstripe wrote:As to the glazed eyes before the collar's removal, we can see that sometimes they do, while under the illusion, Mike had normal (blue) eyes, but Evals had his normal glazed eyes. But closer detail shows that they are detailed sometimes too.

So... Yes and no?
I was wondering about something like this myself. When he had the collar on, he seemed to have more free will then he does right now. Perhaps there are different levels of control spells.

For example:
A Keidran that has been born into slavery (like Mike) might just simply accept it and not need as powerful a restraint on his mind. For argument purposes, it’s called his a Level I Restraint.
Where is a Keidran that has been captured and knows what freedom tastes like (like Evals) would probably have enough willpower to be able to ignore and reject a Level I Restraint and instead need a Level IV or V Restraint which would lobotomize or kill a weaker minded Keidran (like Mike).

My guess is that the one on Evals right now is probably one level higher than he needs. If I’m right, I’m really hoping Eric at least turns it down when he’s done here.
:trace: : Hey, Eric, what's the power level of that control spell?
:eric: : OVER NINE THOUSAND!!! *crushes his glasses*

Also, as interesting as it would be for Evals to answer "yes", I'd rather see Eric proven wrong for once. Alternatively, I'd find it amusing if someone swiped Mike's new control collar and clamped it around Eric's neck.
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage

philip284
Apprentice

#34 Post by philip284 »

If Trace can buy their freedom, I would put money on Eric demanding that they have the collars on while on his ship.
If a tree falls in the woods, but no one is around to hear it, does it still kill the squirrel it landed on?
ImageImage

Leafstripe
New Citizen

#35 Post by Leafstripe »

AzeNaku wrote: -snip-

Also, as interesting as it would be for Evals to answer "yes", I'd rather see Eric proven wrong for once. Alternatively, I'd find it amusing if someone swiped Mike's new control collar and clamped it around Eric's neck.
I was thinking about that, too. It's all up to you, Mike! :P

Moviedude18.0
Templar GrandMaster

#36 Post by Moviedude18.0 »

bsteven93 wrote:
Moviedude18.0 wrote:Umm, I don't think the spell prevents one from using the word "no" so much as it prevents being able to say "no" in response to an order. I think you're reading Roderick's words a bit too literally...
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/archive.php?p=292

yea i think it does prevent them from using no and probably anything to the same context as no
Aaaand, as I said you took Roderick's words too literally. :/
Image Image

templar99
Traveler

#37 Post by templar99 »

Moviedude18.0 wrote:
templar99 wrote:lol this weeks comic is dramatic!
i cant wait for evals Eric to get what he deserves.

Fixed it for ya'. :P

Unless you actually meant Evals...in which case I ask why you say that.
lol. i think evals should die or at least get punished for trying to burn the ship down.
it was reasonable for him to want to escape but he didnt have to burn the ship with everyone on it including flora, who tried to help him, and mike, whos his friend.

Cody MacArthur Fett
Master

#38 Post by Cody MacArthur Fett »

RedDwarfIV wrote:
Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:I really have to smirk at people believing that Eric would ever even conceive the idea of letting Evals free. He's a slaver, his entire world view revolves around power and control, and as such he is not going to willingly do anything that might result in him losing control. Make no mistake, slavery is a fundamentally evil institution, and I will be unconscionably satisfied to see its most prominent practitioner in this comic finally disposed of. Image
Remember, he's not actually doing it to be evil, he's doing it for the money and, of course, the female slaves. When it comes to Trace getting the money he said he had, its entirely possible that he could buy their freedom from Eric. Probably for more than the average slave, but Trace is probably minted anyway.
I don't care if he's doing what he does to bring about the second coming of Christ, I still want to see him dead.

Besides, I really don't think Eric would sell Trace them, and even if he did I'd still like to see him take a bolter round to the head.

Leafstripe
New Citizen

#39 Post by Leafstripe »

templar99 wrote:
Moviedude18.0 wrote:

lol. i think evals should die or at least get punished for trying to burn the ship down.
it was reasonable for him to want to escape but he didnt have to burn the ship with everyone on it including flora, who tried to help him, and mike, whos his friend.
By all accounts there is actually zero proof that Evals is the one who started the fire.

Talaisan
Templar Inner Circle

#40 Post by Talaisan »

Schrodinger wrote:
aitaituo wrote:I'm glad Evals is going to get exonerated here. It's not like the control spell wasn't going to be reapplied unless Eric granted them their freedom, but I still feel like this is supposed to be a moment of horror.

Edit: Alt text: I have no mouth and I must scream.
"He left my mind intact. I can dream, I can wonder, I can lament. Simply… he has taken his revenge. I have no mouth. And I must scream. "
Yeah. This particular brand of horror moment is so popular it has its own trope. And it's effective, but only if we already empathize with the character. I empathize with Evals. This page made me a little upset.

Oh, not enough to hate Eric (go ahead, pile on me again about how there's no such thing as cultural relativism in ethics) but enough to feel really bad for Evals.

And by including that quote, Tom has solidified something. The control spell doesn't make you want to obey. It makes you obey. It can make you do things you hate, while inside you can only watch your body do as its told. It's an awful thing.
templar99 wrote:
Moviedude18.0 wrote:

Have you been reading the same comic as the rest of us?
Marian's Tale 1-4 and 5-? - Rated R. Sex, kink, spies, nobility, scandal, plots, ploys, and one poor, confused college girl stuck in the middle.
My FurAffinity : Stories and fantasy garb.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#41 Post by RedDwarfIV »

Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:
RedDwarfIV wrote:
Cody MacArthur Fett wrote:I really have to smirk at people believing that Eric would ever even conceive the idea of letting Evals free. He's a slaver, his entire world view revolves around power and control, and as such he is not going to willingly do anything that might result in him losing control. Make no mistake, slavery is a fundamentally evil institution, and I will be unconscionably satisfied to see its most prominent practitioner in this comic finally disposed of. Image
Remember, he's not actually doing it to be evil, he's doing it for the money and, of course, the female slaves. When it comes to Trace getting the money he said he had, its entirely possible that he could buy their freedom from Eric. Probably for more than the average slave, but Trace is probably minted anyway.
I don't care if he's doing what he does to bring about the second coming of Christ, I still want to see him dead.

Besides, I really don't think Eric would sell Trace them, and even if he did I'd still like to see him take a bolter round to the head.
That's... strong.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#42 Post by Schrodinger »

We're seeing a more fleshed out character from Eric. Now I've already gone at length that I originally didn't like Eric much. To me he was a boring Hugh Hefner wannabe, but now we're seeing actual faults! I'm loving this dark turn especially the hypocrisy and how the community is having intelligent conversations about it.

As far as Trace buying the slaves, Eric isn't willing to sell them and he knows Trace doesn't have enough to buy them if he did.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

templar99
Traveler

#43 Post by templar99 »

Leafstripe wrote:
templar99 wrote:
Moviedude18.0 wrote:

By all accounts there is actually zero proof that Evals is the one who started the fire.
hes the only suspect.
kat likes eric so she wouldnt do it.
keith, natani, trace and flora need the ship to get to orchard valley so they wouldnt.
mike said he wouldnt rebel so it cant be him.
and also evals was found sleeping in a life boat.

BadFoMo
Grand Templar

#44 Post by BadFoMo »

AzeNaku wrote:[BadFoMo and Leafstripe's quotes omitted]
Great, now how is he going to find his way around the ship?

AzeNaku wrote:Also, as interesting as it would be for Evals to answer "yes", I'd rather see Eric proven wrong for once.
Actually, we might be able to have both.

Eric: Now, I order you to tell me truthfully. Did you set fire to my ship?
Evals: Yes.
Flora: Gasp!
Eric: …Well, I guess that settles that.
[Eric begins to walk away leaving Evals still chained up. Flora then walks up to Evals.]
Flora: Why? Why did you do it?!
Evals: You asked me to do it.
Eric and Flora: What?!
Trace: Flora?!
Flora: What you mean by that?! I never asked you to do anything like that!
Evals: In exchange for our freedom, Michael and I helped you to try and stall for time while you and Kathrin attempted to save Master Eric, your mate, the Wolf and the Basitin.
Eric: Where and how did you start this fire?
Evals: In the galley. I tried to make it look like a simple kitchen fire that got out of hand.
Eric: What stopped you?
Evals: Kathrin came down to tell me you had been released and would be joining us shortly. We were both able to put out the fire before it got too serious.
Trace: So the fire in the store hold wasn’t you?
Evals: I have no knowledge of this fire.
Eric: If it wasn’t you then who did it?!
Evals: I don’t know.
Mike: Actually, has anyone seen the Basitin lately?

I’m not exactly sure where it would go after that, but we get both Evals saving that he did it and Eric being proven wrong.
Why yes, in addition to the usual ships, I support Zen X Kathrin and Alaric X Laura.

TwoKinds Printable Game Toys!
Now crowd sourcing ideas!

Captain Falcon
FALCON. PUUUUNNNCH!!

#45 Post by Captain Falcon »

templar99 wrote: hes the only suspect.
kat likes eric so she wouldnt do it.
keith, natani, trace and flora need the ship to get to orchard valley so they wouldnt.
mike said he wouldnt rebel so it cant be him.
and also evals was found sleeping in a life boat.
Umm, no. Just because he was sleeping in a lifeboat doesn't mean that he was the one who started the fire. You're starting to sound a little bit like Eric by making these accusations with nearly zero proof.

- deds to Tahko-The-Virus

-Custom title because I'm THAT cool.