Comic Upload Notification?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

ZaneKata

Comic Upload Notification?

#1 Post by ZaneKata »

Hello, I was thinking, it would be a great addition to have some way for everyone to be notified when there is a new page?

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Comic Upload Notification?

#2 Post by Turaiel »

We actually have an RSS feed on the website! It's indicated by the orange icon next to the social media links. Just add this feed to an RSS reader and you'll know as soon as a page is released: http://twokinds.keenspot.com/feed.xml
Website Administrator

ZaneKata

#3 Post by ZaneKata »

How do I use it to get notifications? It is just a bunch of HTML text to me.

Turaiel
Administrator

#4 Post by Turaiel »

You need to put it into some RSS reader software, or into a browser extension that supports RSS.
Website Administrator

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#5 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Being perfectly honest RSS is by no means dead or anything but the market is slowly but surely moving in other directions.
Usually Tom also publishes the updates on twitter and facebook so i imagine you could use that as notifications is RSS is a bit too esotheric for you.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

ZaneKata

#6 Post by ZaneKata »

And what if we know nothing about RSS or how to use it?
Anyhow, I am following on Facebook and now Twitter. The Facebook updates usually are posted at least half a day later. Before recently, I had no access to Twitter due to forgetting my password and having no access to an email account. Twitter did seem to have the updates on time. Though, is RSS really even simple and/or convenient?

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Technic[Bot] »

ZaneKata wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 am And what if we know nothing about RSS or how to use it?
Anyhow, I am following on Facebook and now Twitter. The Facebook updates usually are posted at least half a day later. Before recently, I had no access to Twitter due to forgetting my password and having no access to an email account. Twitter did seem to have the updates on time. Though, is RSS really even simple and/or convenient?
It was pretty damn popular last decade. And if you look at hard data it still is. Although the market is slowly crepping away from such formats and into more web 2.0 stuff like facebook and twitter.
However the comic started like 15 years ago, back then there was no fb twitter or the like, and RSS was one of the most efficient ways to aggregate information into one place. That is no longer true but as the whole forum layout can tell you the whole twokinds fandom and comic have a thing for "backwards compatibility"
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide

Turaiel
Administrator

#8 Post by Turaiel »

ZaneKata wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:28 am And what if we know nothing about RSS or how to use it?
Unfortunately I'm usually asleep or working when the comics release, so I can't always post them to Facebook on time. RSS is plenty simple and convenient, and is pretty much the only current method of getting notified of new content on a website.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am However the comic started like 15 years ago, back then there was no fb twitter or the like, and RSS was one of the most efficient ways to aggregate information into one place. That is no longer true but as the whole forum layout can tell you the whole twokinds fandom and comic have a thing for "backwards compatibility"
How the comic operated when it was new has nothing to do with how it is operated today. Aside from social media, there isn't really any better way than RSS feeds to send notifications of new content. The forum is fully up to date, I should add. It's using a classic theme because that's the way Tom wants it.
Website Administrator

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar

#9 Post by Technic[Bot] »

Turaiel wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:25 am.
Technic[Bot] wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:32 am However the comic started like 15 years ago, back then there was no fb twitter or the like, and RSS was one of the most efficient ways to aggregate information into one place. That is no longer true but as the whole forum layout can tell you the whole twokinds fandom and comic have a thing for "backwards compatibility"
How the comic operated when it was new has nothing to do with how it is operated today. Aside from social media, there isn't really any better way than RSS feeds to send notifications of new content. The forum is fully up to date, I should add. It's using a classic theme because that's the way Tom wants it.
I am sorry I did not meant to suggest any of the infrastructure is wrong or anything like that. I know the forum is updated and carefully maintained.
What I was trying to say. And failed miserably, was that though a few years ago every website had a rss button that is no longer the case also phpBB based forums are not as popular as a couple years ago. Giving way to stuff like Facebook Twitter Tumblr amino and all those things kids use these days. As such it is reasonable to thing some of the newer fans might find this type of technology a bit unwieldy or simply not their cup of tea.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
BBCode guide