Does the CC license apply to artwork on the Twokinds Deviantart page?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

Does the CC license apply to artwork on the Twokinds Deviantart page?

#1 Post by MirceaKitsune »

Although this is most likely the case as is officially stated, I figured I'd explicitly ask just to be 100% sure: Does the CC-BY-NC-SA license also apply to the artwork posted on the Twokinds Deviantart page, or only to the official comic? Are we allowed to also edit and redistribute the additional creations made available by Tom in other art galleries?

https://twokinds.deviantart.com

I've seen several people post edits of them and so far no one's pointed out any wrong in it. Also the official licensing page says "this license applies to all my publicly available work" so I'm further not concerned.

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/license

I also had an additional question if anyone can please clarify: I too have a Patreon page, on which I post my own artwork and animations and games. As long as an edit of an image is not hidden behind a tier and I explicitly state that it should not be considered a Patreon project, does publicly posting it on Patreon violate the non-commercial aspect? With Patreon this is often a tricky question, as it's both a place where you make money off your own work but also a place you can use like any art gallery or blog (Furaffinity, Tumblr, etc)... as such the distinction between the two can get a little blurry and depend on how other people see it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

Re: Does the CC license apply to artwork on the Twokinds Deviantart page?

#2 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am by no means a legal expert.
But Tom lives in America and as long as your work is derivative enough, it is protected under the fair use.
Meaning that fan art of two kinds should be ok, but be sure to cite Tom as source of the original idea as common courtesy.
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#3 Post by MirceaKitsune »

Technic[Bot] wrote: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:16 am I am by no means a legal expert.
But Tom lives in America and as long as your work is derivative enough, it is protected under the fair use.
Meaning that fan art of two kinds should be ok, but be sure to cite Tom as source of the original idea as common courtesy.
I was't referring to fan art, but edits of the images he posts freely and publicly on his Deviantart and Patreon page. Obviously I'd credit them, which is both the right thing to do and required by the Creative Commons license explicitly. I was just looking for extra confirmation that the CC-BY-NC-SA license applies to those works as well.

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#4 Post by Turaiel »

The CC license was actually originally posted to Tom's DeviantArt profile years ago, and I adapted it to a webpage later. All of his freely, publicly available art is covered by the license (unless he states otherwise). As long as you stick to the license's requirements, you're good!

If you're putting edits of his work on Patreon, you're right that they would need to not be a paid reward. You must also attribute the work to Tom. You also have to indicate that it is covered by the same license as the original work (BY-NC-SA 3.0).
Website Administrator

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#5 Post by MirceaKitsune »

Turaiel wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:53 am The CC license was actually originally posted to Tom's DeviantArt profile years ago, and I adapted it to a webpage later. All of his freely, publicly available art is covered by the license (unless he states otherwise). As long as you stick to the license's requirements, you're good!

If you're putting edits of his work on Patreon, you're right that they would need to not be a paid reward. You must also attribute the work to Tom. You also have to indicate that it is covered by the same license as the original work (BY-NC-SA 3.0).
Thanks for clarifying and confirming. I always both credit as well as mention the license whenever possible, so that wouldn't be a problem.