Creation and Gods

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

goldgardian

Creation and Gods

#1 Post by goldgardian »

So something I've wondered about for a while is how the inhabitants of the world of twokinds came to be? we've seen a divine like entity in the form of Ephemural, and heard references to "The Masks" So is it a straight up creation deal? several divine entities creating their species and whatnot? or are these Masks more like meddlers, who found this world and manipulate the inhabitants? what does each culture believe? because I doubt they believe that the great and powerful Tom created everything with the power of Art.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: Creation and Gods

#2 Post by Dadrobit »

It would appear that you are looking for THIS THREAD. And maybe a smidgen of THIS ONE TOO. :mrgrin:

Note: Tom says that most things prior to I believe 2007-08 are no longer 100% canon, however I think that this topic in particular has maintained much of its lore.

TLRD:

Masks are Demi-Gods.

Masks created their races a few thousand years prior to the comic start.

Evolution after initial creation is canon.

Masks are basically three dudes playing a board game (Tom alludes to Monopoly, but it's more or less a Risk & DnD crossover imo) against each other.

Their names, (Neutral, Evil/Chaos, Good/Order) were given by the mortals. They have their own names for each other such as Ephemural.

None of them are inherently good or evil. Order likes things to be predictable. Chaos likes things to be happening all the time. And Neutral wants a balance.

Masks cannot directly attack each other unless Rules™ are being broken.

Masks cannot kill one another, the worst is banishment like what happened to Neutral.

Yes they have massive destructive powers, but they do not make use of them. It would be akin to being ~that guy~ who flips the table after they start losing.

They generally do not exert their will directly upon the world of Mekkan, they keep mostly to just influencing their particular race against the others.

The power of a Mask that has possessed someone, (possession must by accepted freely btw, cannot be forced) is limited to the power of the person possessed.

And that's pretty much the extent of what we actually know. :mrgrin:

TorqueEffect
Apprentice

#3 Post by TorqueEffect »

Am I the only one who thinks this who Gods/Creation/Masks thing really takes away from the greater story?

It just trivializes everything to the point where it is just a game between these masks/gods.

I am glad Tom hasn't picked this whole mask, and gods thing back up in over 10 years since Ephemeral flipped a biological switch in Flora to allow her to conceive with a human. Which that alone frustrates me, not some miracle child conceived in a world where it was basically taboo, Nope, just a damn "god" character saying. "Ok i'll allow this so I can win my petty little game."

I really hope if the masks come back into the story, the races unite and actually wipe these gods from existence. Killed by their own "playthings".
THAT would be a epic story, and ultimately hope that's where Tom is bringing the story.

All I know is, if that information about these demi-gods is true, I no longer love this comic. I still love the characters and their interactions, and internal struggles, but I can't get behind a comic that trivializes it's world and those characters into just a game for some demi-gods. Not to mention that the races weren't created through natural evolution is just..... Ughhh......

goldgardian

#4 Post by goldgardian »

I agree with you, I'd love to see the races unite against the masks, and make their own destiny, failing that, It'd be awesome if Trace sacrifices himself, giving up his entire body to the Black mana corruption in order to get the power he needs to destroy the masks, and make a better world for his wife and Son/Daughter

TorqueEffect
Apprentice

#5 Post by TorqueEffect »

Not to mention we've seen these gods can be made mortal.

Hell Ephemeral basically needed to retreat back into his realm, you don't retreat unless your life is in danger.
And all Trace did was strike the mask with an average sword, so that shows these demi-gods are not all that they are cracked up to be, they are just really good at playing mind games.

Heck, maybe this new race, that Ephemeral is "allowing" to exist again, was so dangerous against the masks, they had to snuff it out before it could threaten them. But now seems that if Ephemeral was to win this "game" to keep neutrality, even if it mean It's own life, realizes the only way to truly have a Neutral world, is to have no divine intervention at all.