What programs and drawing tablet does tom use?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

TheKid

What programs and drawing tablet does tom use?

#1 Post by TheKid »

Tom is such an amazing artist and i've loved the program he uses while in stream but i dont know what it is, i would also want to know what drawing tablet he uses and if any chance what type of brushes he uses to draw, or mostly shade and color cause he does such an amazing job on it. Please do answer my question if you can.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

Re: What programs and drawing tablet does tom use?

#2 Post by Dadrobit »

Tablet is a Wacom, not sure of the model.

Program is Photoshop.

And many of the brushes are custom.

Hot tip! Get an inexpensive tablet and a cheap or even free digital painting program before you really invest in this field. Spending money on tools for precision your own dexterity can't take advantage of and buying a program for it's extra features you almost certainly won't use won't help you any more than just learning with a basic tablet and toolset that gets the job done anyways at a fraction of the cost.

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#3 Post by puredeathly »

Dadrobit wrote:Hot tip! Get an inexpensive tablet and a cheap or even free digital painting program before you really invest in this field. Spending money on tools for precision your own dexterity can't take advantage of and buying a program for it's extra features you almost certainly won't use won't help you any more than just learning with a basic tablet and toolset that gets the job done anyways at a fraction of the cost.
I approve of a free program. I really love Krita.
With tablets... ...well...
I tried quite a few brands and so far I'd stick with a used Wacom. You can get those pretty cheap (I paid 20€ for an Intuos 3 A4) and nothing I tried came close to it.

Technic[Bot]
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine!

#4 Post by Technic[Bot] »

I am really not qualify to give any advice on this subject (I can't draw for the life of me)
But there is open/free source software for basically anything you need in this case GIMP is a very good choice.
So yeah support open Source!
There are three things that motivate people: Money, fear and love.
Links to my ramblings:
Twokinds [of] data
PhpBB in the age of facebook
If you are new to this phpBB thing:
BBCode guide

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#5 Post by Turaiel »

Tom currently uses the latest version of Adobe Photoshop for everything, but used to use Autodesk Sketchbook Pro for lines and Photoshop CS5.5 for color. I think he's currently using a 2017 model Wacom Cintiq tablet, but I don't recommend this for beginners. The best thing you can do is start with traditional media (paper) and move to less expensive tablets once you get more experience and want to venture into digital art. That's the advice I usually hear, at least.

I would not recommend GIMP for drawing, as its functionality is pretty limited and its drawing tools have not advanced as far as other drawing tools. Some popular software would be Photoshop, Paint Tool SAI, Clip Studio Paint, and Paint .NET (though I haven't heard much about that last one in a few years).
Website Administrator

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

#6 Post by Foxx Trotter »

Tom is currently using a Wacom Cintiq 27QHD tablet, but he says he doesn't like it. I believe he's looking to get the new Wacom Cintiq Pro 24HD when it is released later this year (They are also releasing a 32-inch version of the Pro as well). That is the size tablet he used before purchasing the 27QHD.
Videre videnda.