Question about changes to profiles

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Question about changes to profiles

#1 Post by Ketzal »

I know this is currently a sensitive topic, but I'm having issues with some actions being taken and I just want to be clear on who is doing what.

I know that most people at this point are aware that schradieck had a bit of a meltdown and ended up replacing a lot of his posts with "go [censored] yourself", among other things. I definitely think he went too far and appreciate the mods editing the posts to not give them the attention he probably intended, but now his profile has been changed following his ban:

https://twokinds.net/forum/memberlist.p ... le&u=24943

It might have changed by now, but at the time of me writing this it says the following:

Interests:
Being a massive, whiny baby
crying about my comfortable and easy life

I just have to ask, did a mod make those changes? And if that's the case, is it really okay to be changing a person's profile like this?

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Question about changes to profiles

#2 Post by Him »

I believe a moderator did indeed change Schradieck's profile information. Though I cannot know for sure.

Now, is it okay to do this to a person's profile? Certainly not in a serious way. But ask yourself this, is it still really his profile? He has only been toxic since the incident and after proclaiming he would never return did so a few days later to threaten self harm.

If a mod did this to an active member, a well meaning person, I would disagree with the action. But in this case I see no real issue. Though I only speak for myself when I say this.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Ketzal »

Him wrote:-snip-
While I respect your opinion, I don't agree with it. From what I understand, mods aren't supposed to get emotionally invested in forum issues and are supposed to be unbiased in their decisions. Please understand, I'm not telling you or any other mod how to do your job, but editing the profile to deface him like that just comes off as childish and unnecessary. I don't think it casts the mods in a very positive light...

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#4 Post by Him »

Ketzal wrote:From what I understand, mods aren't supposed to get emotionally invested in forum issues and are supposed to be unbiased in their decisions
I understand what you mean. But what you are asking is literally impossible. As the mod who tried to do the initial damage control when Schradieck exploded I was more than a little offended when he attacked me for doing my job and being soft on him.
Ketzal wrote:I don't think it casts the mods in a very positive light...
I agree with you there. What else do you think should be done?

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Ketzal »

Him wrote:
Ketzal wrote:I don't think it casts the mods in a very positive light...
I agree with you there. What else do you think should be done?
I mean, again, I don't want to act like I know how to do your job, but I would just remove the offensive messages and leave it at that.

and I understand the emotional side of things, it is hard not to be human. I just hope this doesn't lead to biased decisions when other issues arise on the forum.

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#6 Post by Him »

Ketzal wrote:I would just remove the offensive messages and leave it at that.
Implying I can do that- which I can't. My power and influence is limited to the Ranting Board.
Ketzal wrote:I just hope this doesn't lead to biased decisions when other issues arise on the forum
Believe me when handling a verdict we remain as objective as possible. Schradieck only received a one month ban for the mess he made. Which I actually think is less than what was needed.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

If a moderator was responsible, it's not in the logs. Additionally, I do not know how a mod could alter somebody else's profile, it's not an option I have available via the Moderator Control Panel. I don't have all the privileges in the Administrator Control Panel either, but nothing I saw in it suggests that admins have much control over those fields either. I would expect it to be possible somehow without directly manipulating database values, but I haven't seen any logged information that would suggest it happening and I don't know how it would be done.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by Ketzal »

avwolf wrote:-snip-
Oh. Well, looks like I was mistaken then. Sorry

Him
The Secret Forum Mod

#9 Post by Him »

Ketzal wrote:
avwolf wrote:-snip-
Oh.
I too do not know if it's possible to do this but I do believe it was done by somebody who wasn't Schradieck.

And no worries, as long as everyone is being respectful I see no problem with pointing things out or even taking issue with decisions that we make.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#10 Post by Hayate »

Hello, I too noticed these changes and I know that they happened after his ban started. I've never been banned, but I always figured you would be unable to log on during a ban and therefore unable to edit your profile. I also know why those fields were changed, he had left them with some insulting messages and other things suggesting self harm before he got banned. So yes, they needed to be changed, but perhaps just emptied rather than changed to something else. I know you guys are saying that it wasn't you and you can't edit those fields but I also know there is another mod who likely can. Normally I'd just PM Yash about this and ask directly, but seeing as how this thread is already here I figured I may as well post it and he will see it when he is on. I see where Ketz is coming from, and I understand the strain Schrad put on you guys and all of us, myself included, but I would like to see those fields in his profile just left blank...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--