Does ethnicity still carry penalty in war time?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Does ethnicity still carry penalty in war time?

#1 Post by The Rookie »

This may seem a strange question to ask here, but I wasn't able to word the question in any other way to get a clear result from Google.

What I was wondering is if your ethnicity (regardless of generations) still means anything to the government during times of war. For example, would we ever see civilian prison camps, like the Japanese interment camps in WW2 America, if one nation declared war a full scale war on another in a modern setting?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Hayate
The Hidden User

Re: Does ethnicity still carry penalty in war time?

#2 Post by Hayate »

To be honest, yeah we probably would. But I expect it would be done quietly and on a smaller scale. For example, I doubt that if we say, went to war with China, that all Chinese descended citizens would be detained. But I'm sure the government keeps tabs on those it finds suspicious. We probably don't hear about half of what they do in that regard. I for one am more scared of what a modern full scale war would look like...
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

ReBob
Council Member

#3 Post by ReBob »

I'd hazard that ethnicity no longer matters in this regard for the most part and surveillance of media feeds to get a larger picture of overall social beliefs would be the standard in terms of small scale action and targeting. Like attempts to classify conservatives as radical terrorists.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

Uhh, yeah, I'd say yes. Especially in other countries with other cultures. There are still countries out there that have a rather low view of foreigners.

I'd add one more way to say it: When peoples' fears are magnified by the horrors of the media's portrayal of war, does racism play a part in who civilians are afraid of?
Agent K wrote:A person is smart, but people are gullible, stupid, and open to suggestion.
(Not sure if that's the exact quote, but the idea is the same.)

When it comes down to it, mass hysteria will make people do just about anything. Even in the US today, black Americans have to worry about being arrested for doing nothing wrong, and that's not even during wartime. That's just life. Now if we went to war with, say ohhhh... Russia's a good example... The average American would be scared to death of anyone with a Russian accent, and by the same coin, (probably, and with good reason) any Russian-American would be scared just as much of police watching their every move, just LOOKING for something to arrest them for. It happens now in daily life, it will happen much more in wartime with mass paranoia.

Here in the US, we had a thing called the House Un-American Activities Committee, or HUAC. They ruined innocent peoples' lives, just my nature of their heritage, under the cover of "hunting terrorists", or something similar. That happened before, and it would DEFINATELY happen again.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Samantaz
Master

#5 Post by Samantaz »

Fawkes wrote:However I would be very naive to think something like that on a small scale couldn't happen. It would be something more precise action rather than in mass. Suspected indiviuals or targets would be round up or disappear because of evidence found or "found". Being labeled a spy or terrorist so the government could detain a small number of people on a much smaller scale and out of the eyes of people. All in the name of national security.
I'm completly following you.

I even think that we ARE now at war ... with what ? "Terrorism". Here in France, the government has deployed the "emergency plan" to fight against terrorism. But this thing gives politicians all the power they need to arrest people. E.g : just after each terrorist attacks (like the following or two days), more than 50 people where arrested. They all had (as said by media) arabic names.
It's odd ! They don't even know the murderer that they already arrest "people close around him".

So, when France (mainly, but not only) attacks some middle-east countries (like syria and a bunch of other ones) to fight terrorism, I can only say that we're at war.

PS : Sorry i that's not really understandable, I'm trying to write just waked up ^^
I'm not saying that i'm Batman, But nobody saw Batman and me together.

Furcode : FCF3a A C- D+++ H++ P- R- T++ W-- Sf- RLTI a- cl++ e++ f- h** iw+++ j- p-- sm-
Awesome avatar by Kiabugboy

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#6 Post by The Rookie »

Cheers for helping guys. I wasn't making any head way other than speculation on my own part, but you've all given me some more to think about.

However, it's kind of worrying to see the question remains as muddied as before. Guess we'll only ever know if it ever comes to it... :|
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Butterscotch
Master

#7 Post by Butterscotch »

Yeah, it will. Even if its not the governments fault, there are certain people who will be offensive and degrade people of a certain ethnicity, especially during wartime.

Even if the government doesnt get involved, it is likely that the ethnic groups would move to communities filled only with that ethnic group, isolating themselves!
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.