Hello (Adel, go away)

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Logan Furry
Citizen

Hello (Adel, go away)

#1 Post by Logan Furry »

Part 1 of my double rant
So it has come to my attention that there's no real...spelling for the Keidran :flora: and Bastin :keith: greetings. I mean it as in a linguistic way, I tried to get a friend interested into Twokinds and when I was explaining the languages and how they functioned they flat out asked "How do they say Hello" and I kinda well...went blank for trying to give a clear non-bracet/Prothesis way of spelling the English word "Hello" and they kinda got angry with me and I pretty much feel I drew him away from it (don't worry, I'm going to get him to like it soon enough :P). Anyway Twokinds nerds, mods, admins, or maybe even our Lord himself. What is the proper spelling and pronunciation of "Hello" and a few other common words in the language of both of our furried friends and Comrades.
Slow down, you must look at Flora :flora: you may now go
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Hello (Adel, go away)

#2 Post by avwolf »

You're going to be disappointed, Logan Furry: there aren't any words from any Twokinds languages, everything is filtered and translated into English. Most of the time, we're fortunate if Tom indicates which language is even being spoken. :P

At one point in time, Tom had a comic panel with Flora mentioning a few Keidran words, but that comic panel has been deprecated, and I don't think it's considered archive canon anymore. I think that's partly because Tom isn't much interested in linguistics (most fantasy authors are not like Tolkien, who invented languages to amuse himself and then wrote stories as an excuse to use his languages) and partly because as Tom considered it, the rules he was inventing for these languages would make for extremely difficult transliteration (Keidran is described as having a high dialect of chattering noises and a low dialect of growling noises). Conlangs are really difficult to do right (especially when you are on record for giving them grammatical quirks that are very different from your own native language), and I don't blame Tom for being more interested in telling his story than inventing new languages.

amenon
Grand Templar

#3 Post by amenon »

avwolf wrote:At one point in time, Tom had a comic panel with Flora mentioning a few Keidran words, but that comic panel has been deprecated, and I don't think it's considered archive canon anymore.
Still in there; still counts :P [2004-01-23]

But yeah, this quest seems rather hopeless!
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#4 Post by avwolf »

amenon wrote:
avwolf wrote:At one point in time, Tom had a comic panel with Flora mentioning a few Keidran words, but that comic panel has been deprecated, and I don't think it's considered archive canon anymore.
Okay, it's still in online-continuity, I do think it got removed from book-continuity. I can't double-check because I don't have my spare Twokinds book here at work anymore. But yeah, that's all we've got. I can say a few things about the Keidran language, but that's it; I can't even discuss the Basitin language meaningfully because Tom's never said anything (that I recall) about it. I don't think Tom ever decided to really make the languages up in any meaningful way (he might have played with it in Keidran before it became too much work for too little reward; hence the appearance of those few words in the comic). The drama of the Twokinds story doesn't really involve the languages (save that they are different languages and that some characters can't speak or read all of them), so Tom's never felt any need to shoehorn in any kind of a language primer, or even just scattered foreign words.

Hayate
The Hidden User

#5 Post by Hayate »

avwolf wrote:
amenon wrote:
Okay, it's still in online-continuity, I do think it got removed from book-continuity. I can't double-check because I don't have my spare Twokinds book here at work anymore.
Hey guys, I do have a recent release of book one in my hands and I can say that the last three panels from the page you linked are not in the book. The rest of the page is intact but the parts where Flora tries to teach Trace her language is gone.
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Vintage »

Hayate wrote:
avwolf wrote:
amenon wrote:
Okay, it's still in online-continuity, I do think it got removed from book-continuity. I can't double-check because I don't have my spare Twokinds book here at work anymore.
Hey guys, I do have a recent release of book one in my hands and I can say that the last three panels from the page you linked are not in the book. The rest of the page is intact but the parts where Flora tries to teach Trace her language is gone.
Yeah - I can confirm that too. However, page 49 is sill present in the book, but Flora's dialogue changes from Cahrmehrs Ab'liun! Ryuin Ar'luin! to Cahrmehrs ab'liun nah! Still can't decipher anything since we still don't know anything about the language (like Avwolf said). We can only guess that it's an expression of pain. Other than that, I don't think the original language is ever used again.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Hayate
The Hidden User

#7 Post by Hayate »

TheWMM wrote:Flora's dialogue changes from Cahrmehrs Ab'liun! Ryuin Ar'luin! to Cahrmehrs ab'liun nah! Still can't decipher anything since we still don't know anything about the language (like Avwolf said). We can only guess that it's an expression of pain. Other than that, I don't think the original language is ever used again.
Hmm, I didn't notice that change, but you are right. I wonder why it was shortened? I guess we will probably never know. Its funny how many little things I'm noticing in the book that are different from online!
~Hayate~
--Moderator/Global Moderator
--

--Forum Rules--
--Moderators --
--Administrators
--

Logan Furry
Citizen

#8 Post by Logan Furry »

Welp. Thank you all for giving some clarity to this problem but I always love a good response. And hey, I got to go back to look at a few pages and I even showed my friend those. He is at least happy there's SOME form a language and at least he's a little interested into it. I'm trying to get him to go from Homestuck to Twokinds since they just pretty much ended their series.
Slow down, you must look at Flora :flora: you may now go
Always Look on the Bright Side of Life