What age is Madelyn?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

BeyondBlitz

What age is Madelyn?

#1 Post by BeyondBlitz »

Is Madelyn confirmed to be 13? It said in the comic that she was 13 turning 14, but she doesn't really seem that age.
Plus, who would conscribe a 13/yo into the army!?

minime
Templar GrandMaster

Re: What age is Madelyn?

#2 Post by minime »

I'm not sure about her age, but in the comic i believe it said they are put in the army for training at 8 years of age.

BeyondBlitz

#3 Post by BeyondBlitz »

minime wrote:I'm not sure about her age, but in the comic i believe it said they are put in the army for training at 8 years of age.
That seems strange, considering the Basitins age at the same rate we do.

minime
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by minime »

Not really, there are a militarized nation, they live for war which is why when either the east or west side are winning they fall back to allow the other side to rebuild and rearm themselves.

BeyondBlitz

#5 Post by BeyondBlitz »

Fawkes wrote:
BeyondBlitz wrote:
minime wrote:I'm not sure about her age, but in the comic i believe it said they are put in the army for training at 8 years of age.
That seems strange, considering the Basitins age at the same rate we do.
Considering the time period of the story and how it relates to our actual history, putting an 8 year old into military training isn't all that strange.
I see your point, but it still seems strange to me.

amenon
Grand Templar

#6 Post by amenon »

BeyondBlitz wrote:Is Madelyn confirmed to be 13? It said in the comic that she was 13 turning 14, but she doesn't really seem that age.
The simple answer is 'No, it isn't confirmed.' We only have Maddie's word for it, and obviously she could be lying. I tend to believe her, but also kinda expect her to be lying. You could say she has me confused :P

Even if she's telling the truth, being in the military isn't remarkable; but her rank -- and the fact that she participated in Keith's trial -- probably is. On the other hand, this [2014-08-21] would rather support her being young.

And even if she is her claimed age, she's older than Keith was when he was exiled.
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

As amenon says, what we have is Madelyn's word on the matter, and moreover, her word given when she was in the middle of a con. Not the most trustworthy of statements. (And I find it hard to believe even a thirteen year old would use "mommy" without it been the sort of joke or touchstone that would still be valid for an older woman too.)

Considering the age of her mother, I would not be surprised if Madelyn is actually older than Keith. She takes advantage of her small stature to provide the appearance of extreme youth, as a way to keep her opponents off guard.

So needless to say, Madelyn's age is undetermined and a point of contention.

Rafe
Council Member

#8 Post by Rafe »

BeyondBlitz wrote:Is Madelyn confirmed to be 13? It said in the comic that she was 13 turning 14, but she doesn't really seem that age.
Plus, who would conscribe a 13/yo into the army!?
This came up a little bit ago, and I pointed out (and I'll repeat some here) that far from being unusual, starting a career in the military when you were 13 or 14 was done in Western European nations up until at least 120 years ago. And being from an aristocratic or royal family didn't keep you out of it, in fact you were MORE likely to end up in the military if you came from a prominent family. It was expected of you. And it could get you into some very dangerous places.

You could become a Midshipman in the Navy or a Subaltern in the Army at the age of 13 or 14, and be expected to command men two or three times your age. A literary character that you could compare Maddie to is the 14 year old Midshipman Blakeney from Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World . Early in the story, set on a British frigate during the Napoleonic Wars, he seems like a typical kid, but during his first battle at sea he turns out to be a very capable and brave officer.

Another literary figure - one with a great deal in common with Maddie talent-wise, is Rudyard Kipling's Kim. One of the greatest novels in the English language (number 34 on the Guardian's top 100 lists) it tells the story of one of these young people recruited into British Intelligence. It follows the title character, an orphan whose father was Irish, who lives on the streets of Lahore, in what is now Pakistan, from age thirteen until seventeen. He becomes the disciple of a Tibetan lama, who sees he gets an education, and through an old friend, a Pashtun horse trader Named Mahbub Ali he is connected up with the British Secret Service, and told about their decades long conflict with the Russian Empire which was called "The Great Game". He speaks several languages, can disguise himself expertly, and has a great ability to get people to trust him. We follow his adventures across the Afghanistan and India of the late 19th Century.

I have no idea whether Tom patterned Maddie after Kim, but characters like that can make for great stories.

Hulk10
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Twokinds world where Keidran live long lives and do not have crystal limitations on their magic.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora, Nora, Kat.

#9 Post by Hulk10 »

avwolf wrote: Mon May 23, 2016 3:56 pm As amenon says, what we have is Madelyn's word on the matter, and moreover, her word given when she was in the middle of a con. Not the most trustworthy of statements. (And I find it hard to believe even a thirteen year old would use "mommy" without it been the sort of joke or touchstone that would still be valid for an older woman too.)

Considering the age of her mother, I would not be surprised if Madelyn is actually older than Keith. She takes advantage of her small stature to provide the appearance of extreme youth, as a way to keep her opponents off guard.

So needless to say, Madelyn's age is undetermined and a point of contention.
My sister is 23 and she sometimes calls our mother mommy. But I do agree that Madelyn could be lying.
Hulk is strongest one there is -Incredible Hulk

In the name of the Mighty Legions of Predacons who preceded me I shall never again bow to your charge! But, I will heed your previous advice and face my true enemy AS A BEAST! -Predaking.

AmigaDragon
Grand Templar

#10 Post by AmigaDragon »

The latest word is she's 17 but she could still be lying.
"Cogito, ergo es. I think, therefore you is." Ray D. Tutto (King of the Moon) to Baron Munschaussen

Spazoid
New Citizen
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#11 Post by Spazoid »

AmigaDragon wrote: Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:57 am The latest word is she's 17 but she could still be lying.
I don't think she is lying....not with that backstory. The emotion at the end -- right before Karen hugged her -- seems very honest.
"Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse!"

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#12 Post by Turaiel »

Please do not bump very old threads. Take a look at our forum rules before you continue posting: viewtopic.php?t=9841

Thread locked.
Website Administrator