Why are we afraid of authority figures?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Why are we afraid of authority figures?

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Right, so something that seems to have popped up a fair amount in the last few days seems to be a shared fear of authority and authority figures.

Now while I know a portion of folk are going to immediately assume this about Yash, that's not entirely the case. It's more what Yash represents as a person of importance. He's someone who has the capacity to punish you, should you give him a reason. Similarly, I know a lot of people feel uneasy in the presence of police and other law enforcement for the exact same reason (similar job, but the punishments are much more severe). You would assume since you've done nothing wrong, you shouldn't be afraid; but that doesn't seem to be entirely true.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone would be able to explain the feeling of unease we get from seeing/speaking with authority figures in general.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

SirJahar
Grand Templar

Re: Why are we afraid of authority figures?

#2 Post by SirJahar »

In general, I've found that we as people know that we are less aware of the rules and laws that we live under than we should be (the complexity built into many systems seems designed to make sure this is the case). We also assume that authorities know these better than we do. So we automatically start going over our actions, that we think little of at the time, that might be against the code in question. We start to question our selves.

ReBob
Council Member

#3 Post by ReBob »

Because they have authority. They have an air to them due to title that gives them power, and also a sense of credibility. What if this person lies about you when you have no evidence to back your own claims up? What if you violate an obscure but reasonable law? What if with one decision they can cost you, financially or socially or both?

They hold the power of a system in their hands and they can affect our society greater than the sum of their parts. With the numerous stories of corruption in systems of government or other segments of society where authority resides, it's no wonder a healthy respect can distort into fear.

Example, I was caught speeding for the first time ever. 70mph on the highway. Cop noticed I was visibly shaking, and I told him why. Got off with a warning. Don't know how much my reaction and his own views may have had in that, but he held in his power, with one slip of paper, to throw my families paycheck-to-paycheck existance into disarray.

My view of it, at least.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#4 Post by Bellhead »

This is interesting. I'd say I have a healthy distrust of authority because of the rampant abuse of power by such individuals who posess it.

I live in a town where the police are, county-wide and in the adjacent counties, known for being untrustworthy crooks. I tell people I don't trust police, they ask why, I say where I'm from, and they understand immediately. Been this way all my life.

And then there's every instance of police militarization, the clear imbalance of power, racial and sexual inequality... Basically, unless you're a rich white property-owning average-Joe American in this country, the police can pick you off the side of the road without a second thought, and often times, without reason.

I have a distrust of authority because authority has an overwhelming amount of power over me in a system rigged against nearly everyone, and they haven't earned my trust. This is not a monarchy here. If you want my trust, you have to EARN it. And opressing people does not count as earning my trust, no matter the circumstances.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#5 Post by Envy661 »

The issue, at least on this forum, is this, in a nutshell...

[video]https://youtu.be/L53gjP-TtGE?t=24s[/video]

The issue isn't really Yash. I have my personal gripes against him, but I don't necessarily hate him, and what he does isn't all bad (Even if I'm afraid of even expressing an opinion a lot on here).

We need a more democratically decided list of mods. Especially these days with so many inactive. Aze, for example, stopped visiting the forum entirely when he hit 6969 posts (He told me this himself), yet he's moderator of a couple boards. From what I understand and have been told by him himself is, he's not even supposed to be a mod to begin with.

We need to sit down between the active members of the community, appoint some new mods, and elect someone at least semi-active to have the exact same level of authority as Yash. For this, I would nominate AvWolf. He's not here too often anymore, but he does poke his head in, and he's someone the community trusts to be a solid mediator. He would be perfect for the job.

It's not a matter of removing Yash from where he is. Just making sure he's not the only one there. Because that, I feel, is the overall issue here. Not Yash as a person. Not what he does. But because he's the only one where he's at.

I can message AvWolf, JediGuy, and Aze. I don't talk to Wynni, sadly, but if we can get a group together of moderators/admins to represent the community and elect a few new people and/or replacements for the old, who can also turn to us and say "Okay no, this person isn't right for this role, and electing them would be foolish", then that would be a solid and monumental step forward in solving the woes of the community. This would be done without this entire process being on the hands of Yash, because if he were to handle it, or worse yet be the one to flat out refuse something like this, then it would just drive an even bigger wedge between him and the community, and no one wants that.

We all want to accept Yash at his role and trust his judgement. There just needs to be some additional incentive there to make sure the best interests of the forum are represented, if that makes sense.

HOPEFULLY, I have put this in a positive enough way for it to be heard. I know this isn't a "General authority" thing I'm posting, but I see where this topic is stemming from. I want to say it will be considered and heeded, but sadly, I know it will not, and that's the issue entirely.

I've managed my own forums before. I know how it goes, and I think this is the best way to handle it.

That being said, I stand by the notion that I don't think anyone wants me in this kind of position ;)

This is in regards to the stuff on the forum, btw. I've actually never had a problem with authority IRL, unless they're doing something very clearly nefarious. I know, it sounds so counter to how I act on here, right?

See you guys around, btw. I probably won't be allowed to stay here much longer.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#6 Post by TinyVoices »

As per this thread's topic...

I feel that I have always feared authority. I sweat and shake when around police, or really anyone of authority. I can't talk to professors or teachers comfortably unless I know them well enough. I absolutely hate talking to people who I am fully aware are more higher up than me socially, even.

This has been the way since I was a kid, but I'm not sure why that is. I used to be an utter troublemaker as a kid (and I mean that in the sense that I'd throw food at people, push people to the ground, kick people, and other forms of bullying), and yet despite all this I was afraid of getting in to trouble. It actually made me better at lying, telling the truth, and quickly realizing when to do some degree of either of those two. But it's so damn contradicting to be so violent, yet so afraid of getting into trouble, at the same time.

Nowadays I try to stay the speed limit, stop at stop signs, and try my damnedest not to smell like drugs or alcohol when going anywhere. I even act a bit extra shy when I feel like I'm getting a little out of hand in social situations. I try to keep my nose clean, when it just isn't necessary to get into trouble.

I do, however, gain a little courage to at least talk out against things I don't agree with. Which is why I'm so bluntly honest on here, even when I'm scared of getting into trouble...
Envy661 wrote:Stuff
That is all stuff that could be discussed elsewhere, but I feel like having some kind of discussion might not be too bad.

To sum up my interest in the topic... There are some concerns I have to your proposition, to be sure, but I think that you bring up a valid point.
In order of appearance on these forums: Yash, Avwolf, Robbie, Jediguy, Wynni. Those are really the only publicly displayed, active mods. Tom's in there, but I feel like his influence isn't as immediately visible. Yash shows up roughly 5-7 times per week, Av roughly 1-3 times, Robbie about once, I haven't seen Wynni online in months, and Jediguy really only shows up to do the NWC nowadays.

That's the start of what I want to say, but it belongs in it's own thread/whatever, and I'm only going against that "Privately voice concerns" rule because- even if we do this with the 6 mods and maybe 10 or so active members in private council- this should probably be discussed. I know there's dynamics and hierarchy and all this other stuff, but we need more active mods. More people who we can approach about things, or else at least quicker response times to random [censored].

And just for the record, you should not give me moderator privileges...
I'm actually serious here. I am not a good fit for that role.

Razmoudah
Merchant

#7 Post by Razmoudah »

I guess I'm one of the oddities on here then, as I have never had any fear of authority figures. It doesn't mean I go out of my way to mess with them, I do show them respect when there isn't any reason to start something, just that I'm not afraid to confront them when necessary.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage