Annual Forum Awards

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

Butterscotch
Master

Re: Annual Forum Awards

#1 Post by Butterscotch »

Id be interested in this! Sounds fun!

(Sorry for like, the lack of feedback, don't have much to say.)
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#2 Post by Bellhead »

This could be fun. At camp, I recieved "anything in jeans", "underappreciated" and "balls of steel", and in HS I recieved "most memorable". Each time, there were applications for a new award to fit a specific person, and at camp, that was all they used. We might try something like that.

This sounds like a fun idea, even if it might take a while to catch on.

's got my vote.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Ketzal »

Oh jeez, I remember my high school doing something like this, and I ended up with "most likely to be the only one laughing at his own joke". That one felt mean-spirited :/

Still, I like the sound of this. I'd be willing to get into it!

Razmoudah
Merchant

#4 Post by Razmoudah »

"Most likely to be President", isn't that a lot like saying "The best [censored]-kisser that I'd like to put in charge of a country"? I have problems seeing that one in a positive light, although others probably disagree with me on that. A lot of the "mean" ones that pop-up in the high school equivalent are not intended to be mean (there are exceptions obviously), but just because it wasn't intended to be mean doesn't mean it can't be perceived as mean once you get nailed by it.

I think I'd rather see a mixture of forum member and moderator approval required for the questions, one so that people aren't put on the spot to answer, and two so that we can have a general concensus as to what we'd be comfortable getting labeled with. Now, we will have to accept some things that we might not necessarily like if we get labeled with it (the 'Politically Correct' stuff is getting way out of hand, I've talked with a woman whose son got detention for farting in class because "it came from an inappropriate part of the body"), so that means learn to be at least somewhat thick-skinned people, but this doesn't mean we have to let something in that is hardly good-natured ribbing.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#5 Post by TinyVoices »

My only concern with this is that the one doing 90% of the paperwork sounds like Spero. My issue is that he keeps considering just up and leaving the forum. Other times he's just super busy with youtube and etc, so he isn't able to actually dedicate time to things.

It'll be hard enough to get enough participants in the survey, but then if the Host, Judge, and Announcer (one person) leaves randomly before it's completed.... That'll kill this for good.

So, my only concern is whether or not Spero can devote 1 to 2 hours a day towards just managing this show. And if someone else steps up to help, or else takes his place, then the question will go to them, instead.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#6 Post by Schrodinger »

Hm, interesting concept.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

FrogSteaks
Grand Templar

#7 Post by FrogSteaks »

I feel like I'd enjoy doing something like this. You can put me down for this as well.
You miss 100% of the shots you don't take. -Wayne Gretzky

midnightblink
Council Member

#8 Post by midnightblink »

I'd love that.

My high school doesn't do those kinds of things
Primum Non Nocere

amenon
Grand Templar

#9 Post by amenon »

You can only vote for people who have chosen to participate, yesno?
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#10 Post by Bellhead »

SperoWolf wrote:
amenon wrote:You can only vote for people who have chosen to participate, yesno?
No. Anyone on or ever on the forum is fair game
Normally I wwould agree, but as stated above, some people might not take it in the good humor it would be intended to be.

If it were up to me, I'd have a list somewhere (possibly in Announcements) where a mod or somebody would post a list of everybody that wanted to be a part, and maybe PM'ing said somebody would be how you'd get on or off of it.

It's not that I want people to be left out, but I don't want people to feel upset if they get an award they don't appreciate the humor of, if that makes sense.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#11 Post by TinyVoices »

"Most likely to mention yiff"
"Most likely to use a lewd avatar"
Or similar

At least those two I thought of wouldn't necessarily be desired by non-participating individuals.

amenon
Grand Templar

#12 Post by amenon »

SperoWolf wrote:
amenon wrote:You can only vote for people who have chosen to participate, yesno?
No. Anyone on or ever on the forum is fair game
Then I object. I think it should be participants only, and it should be opt-in, not opt-out. Make the categories, then ask who wants in, then vote with that list.

Even if there aren't going to be any negative ones -- though, as stated, there will probably be ones that can be seen as negative by some people -- you're going to run into the situation where people have awards they'd like to win, but don't.

So let the people who want to play, play, and the ones who don't, be free to ignore the entire thing.

For myself, I probably won't be participating, but might change my mind if the categories are really inspired :P

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#13 Post by TinyVoices »

SperoWolf wrote:And on top of narrowing down the voting and making it somewhat insincere, you'd then have the potential problem of someone who registered not taking the time to vote. So then you have to invalidate any votes they received, but by doing so you again make the ballot unfair, as the ones who voted for said person might have chosen someone different from who the minority otherwise agreed upon.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8XOZJkozfI[/video]

amenon
Grand Templar

#14 Post by amenon »

SperoWolf wrote:The thing is, most of these have categories like "most missed member" or things that may not directly pertain to people, and some might miss the voting. There could be a problem by making it too inclusive, and there could be problems from acting otherwise.
"Most missed member" is absolutely something that should be open voting, if it's on the ballot. But it's an exception, not the rule. And I can't think of another one like it, offhand.
SperoWolf wrote:Take this example, let's say one of the categories is "wrote the best fanfic (nsfw)", and everyone thinks of you. If you're not eligible for voting, that leaves voters to run around trying to grasp for a "second place", and that's no fun. It eliminates fairness from the game as the game encompasses the forum itself, not just the people choosing to take the time to vote. Also, someone might miss the week of voting and be sad they don't get a shot.
That's a funny example, because I don't think I would win that one in open voting, not in a forum where Desire for Orders exists :P

If you're concerned about turnout, you can run it longer. If it's just a week of voting, a lot of people are going to miss it anyway. There's plenty of people who aren't around very often.
SperoWolf wrote:On top of that, it would add even extra preparation. You'd have to take a week receiving the official list of voters, give the voters the list of voters, and then hope everyone casts their votes. And on top of narrowing down the voting and making it somewhat insincere, you'd then have the potential problem of someone who registered not taking the time to vote. So then you have to invalidate any votes they received, but by doing so you again make the ballot unfair, as the ones who voted for said person might have chosen someone different from who the minority otherwise agreed upon.
You don't have to invalidate someone's votes if they don't vote themselves -- just signing up in the first place would be fine for eligibility.

And really, it would be fine to allow everyone who wants to to vote. Self-nomination is the more important part.
SperoWolf wrote:I could list more, but it honestly doesn't seem worth it. If someone happens to get a pat on the back that they don't like or aren't particularly fond of, on an internet forum, that's really not a lot to mourn. And again, it's not even likely to happen. But doing otherwise turns it from "forum awards" to "the few people who signed up, awards" and makes it more of a circle-jerk than anything else. It seems like we'd be trading one small, potential problem for a few small guaranteed ones, and even more small potential issues than we first had.
Again, the bigger problem isn't getting something you don't want -- it's not getting something you do want, or not getting anything at all. You say you love doing things that make people smile -- well, more like than not, what you propose would make some people sad. You don't want to give someone the gift of social alienation, in a place they like.

It's a silly popularity contest. Don't force it on people.

You could put this to a vote -- float a poll between opt-in and opt-out. I'm confident opt-in would win, but even if it didn't, I think even if just like 10% voted for it, then that's how it should be done.

And yes, it's more work for you. But that's where the burden should be; if you want to do this, do it so that it's as positive as it can be.

Razmoudah
Merchant

#15 Post by Razmoudah »

I can see there being multiple broad categories of awards. The "Open Awards", which would be opt-out, so you could do something like "Most Missed Member"; the "Shared Awards", which would use a nomination system, requiring a certain minimum number of other members to nominate you, but self-nomination wouldn't be allowed, and would still allow the opt-out choice if you didn't want to be a part; and the "Closed Awards", which would be opt-in. This system would require a lot of work to initially set up, and a poll where people choose which awards go in which categories before you start taking nominations, and maybe doing a thread to ask for awards ideas before that poll.

Also, with how sporadicly some people access the forum I'd say that any portion that requires general input from the others on the forum should be open for a minimum of two weeks.

Finally, you say it was a "while ago" that you talked about just leaving the forum. I have only recently come back from a hiatus where I was gone for two or three times as long as you've even been a member, that's not a "while ago" to me, and I still consider myself a 'young' member on this forum, just because of how long Two Kinds has been going and how long many people have been a part of the forum. That is definitely concerning to me.

Typically something like this ends up with a committee running it, instead of a single person, so if it does happen we should probably ask Tom to create a locked forum for said committee's discussions that only mods, Tom, and the committee members have access to. This way, aside from the actual votes themselves, we wouldn't have to worry about someone just disappearing and leaving us hanging. If there is a way to do a blind ballot vote that the committee itself could see the results of that would probably be a good idea. I realize that there aren't very many active members right now, but look at the total registered members count some time, it could take a while to process all of those votes if everyone came back for it, and you should always plan for worst case scenarios.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage