I'm too stubborn to make a clear choice here

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

'95 Dodge Ram or '03 VW Passat?

Ram
67%
Passat
33%

Total votes: 9

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

I'm too stubborn to make a clear choice here

#1 Post by Bellhead »

So here's the deal: I have, currently and for the next couple of months (maybe), two registered, insured and inspected vehicles.

1995 Dodge Ram 1500, and
2003 VW Passat wagon.

They both have just under 200K miles on them.

The Dodge has a 5.2L V8, 4WD, short box, standard cab. Buttloads of rust everywhere, but solid as a rock, always runs smooth, and always starts easily. It has better headlights and better tires. It started leaking power steering fluid last night. It sat for five years, and needs an alignment.

The wagon has the VW 1.8T in-line 4, and a 5-speed stick. It often coughs and sputters upon starting, but has not failed yet. It gets around 28 mpg or so. It leaks power steering fluid, and oil from the pan and from the turbo into the air intake. Drive-by-wire throttle, which lags nearly half a second, if not more. It has left me stranded twice now, has been in one crash so far that I know of, and hit a deer a few months ago. This was my daily driver until it dropped a half shaft last weekend, at which point I said "screw it" and drove the truck instead.

My father has spent some time this weekend putting the half shaft back on, but it still leaks oil and power steering fluid.

My question is this: Should I drive the Ram, and deal with the rust and fuel costs, or should I drive the Passat, take what I can get with the fuel mileage and risk being stranded again?
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

musicgeek
Apprentice

Re: I'm too stubborn to make a clear choice here

#2 Post by musicgeek »

I hate to be "that guy", but shouldn't this go in the ranting board?
oh god what do i put here

DariusL
Panthera tigris altaica
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#3 Post by DariusL »

The Passat sounds like a rolling fire hazard, get that truck aligned, the power steering leak looked at, and use that one. Those trucks are usually super solid even when rusty, you'll be safer that way.

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#4 Post by jacobc62 »

Good god man your car issues are giving me a huge headache just listening to them! :shock:

Seriously though, drive the Dodge. I would take both to the mechanic to get then fixed up (passat first while you're driving the Dodge, Dodge afterwards to get the alignment and power steering fixed)
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#5 Post by Bellhead »

jacobc62 wrote:I would take both to the mechanic to get them fixed up (passat first while you're driving the Dodge, Dodge afterwards to get the alignment and power steering fixed)
You seem to not know that I have right about zero dollars to spend on car repair. The parts and service I can requisition for both vehicles sums up to "This is what I have in my garage at the moment", "This is what I can manage to swipe from the junkyard", and "My uncle can do a partial allignment with a custom tool he built".

That car has had the oil pan off more times than it's had an oil change, and I'd know, because I've taken it apart that many times.

I replaced most of the truck's brake lines, the power steering hoses and the fuel line, and a wheel cylinder with what was left on an Advance Auto Parts gift card, and a set of Craftsmans and some plastic wire sheilding.

What I've got now is what the both of them get to share, as far as parts go. And I am definately not paying a shop to work on my stuff. I'd spend more on labor than I'd pay in parts, and I cannot afford to do that. Not when both of them should have been junked years ago.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Bellhead »

Alright. It has been one week, and I'm guessing nobody else is going to contribute in the near future.

So, in agreement with four out of five people who voted, I'll be sticking with the truck for the forseeable future.

The car will probably be sold, likely for a cheap price to get rid of it quickly.

The truck has been running quite well. it had an issue with downshifting from 4th under load, but that seems to be fixing itself. The brakes have been bled, and performance has improved dramatically. It probably still needs a steering box, but that can wait, as with a new power steering hose and that system working again, it's still stable at high speeds, I'll probably have my uncle stop by to check the alignment sometime during Spring Break if he has time, and from there, it's set to go.

Thank you to Jacob62 and Ticoun for your responses, they helped solidify my decision.