May I use excerpt from TwoKinds to help my real life civic bylaw situation?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

multilis
Citizen

May I use excerpt from TwoKinds to help my real life civic bylaw situation?

#1 Post by multilis »

I am looking for Yes/No answer by copyright holder on showing excerpt of your work in non profit manner including in <5 minute video clip with citation as to source. I would also be show your info on topwebcomics.com. Thank you and of course a "No" answer is also ok, it helps if given reason why but not required.

Excerpt I am interested in:

http://twokinds.keenspot.com/archive.php?p=583, potentially sampling a few pages before as well to show context.

Background info (Long, do not need to read):

I live in coldest really big city in canada called Edmonton, is in west.

I have situation that even gets a bit of coverage in largest/most important city in Canada called Toronto by biggest local newspaper, TV news channel, etc...

Toronto Star
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2015/08 ... sheep.html
CTV News Toronto
https://www.facebook.com/CTVNewsChannel ... =2&theater

And that was when we were still in normal territory of situation that seems to commonly happens in other parts of canada and US... Google "right to farm"... I keep getting told of other examples by my supporters. At this stage I was given a "Cecil the Lion" story when by surprise my weakest old sheep gave birth to a perfect personality but needs help lamb at just the right time, key part of the toronto video news was they wanted *Bambi* more than me on camera, looking good, etc.

People lose empathy for other people when in big city, but a lamb is like a unicorn, something magic they never see. (Cecil the lion is similar story, part of world where nearby million+ people may suffer or die in recent news, the economy is complete mess where in recent past hyperinflation a billion dollars to buy a loaf of bread, the country used to produce food for much of africa but now needs food aid to stop starvation, north american people do not know or care much about that. But they do care about a single lion)

Tomorrow afternoon for first time I am actually having a face to face meeting for very first time on issue. (I was given 1.5 months to get rid of my sheep or pay $500 fine per sheep that is on my property. Nearly 1 month has already passed, we have few days ago got past the "what was your phone number again?" stage when since day 1 I have done full disclosure, sent copy to other side as best I could of everything I say about them to news media, etc and include my contact info, have email proof of city on day 1 saying "we got your email, made sure the guy got it as requested")

The latest idea popped into my head at 3am as I am sleeping outside in cold air with lamb to keep her healthy... is completely insane, apparently legal, and is exploiting loopholes. If I am forced to go to this extreme it may end up as a joke on late night talk shows in US.

To Quote my email on the idea:
You are allowed to have keep "farm animals" in an area as part of a parade, stampede, etc... eg northlands rodeo

I think this is kind of like visitors to Canada which once every 6 months have to cross border to US then return to legally stay [We had american (NYC area) living upstairs 20+ years ago do that while he struggled to get permission to work and live here]

I can build a wagon, legally it would be considered a "bicycle trailer". I can build what would fit the legal definition of "electric assist bike". The look and mechanics would be similar to single horse pulling a wagon full of sheep from hundreds of years ago complete with 4 foot high tires made of wood, with duct tape as tire treads.

I can then visit their permanent home as often as legally required, maybe nearby horse ranch where I used to get paid $25 to shovel manure every saturday morning at 6am, I suspect Fred would happily have me visit for free to shovel manure, his dog loves to herd my sheep in his arena. Legally that would be their "permanent home".

I can then every time I graze my neighbors with my sheep, carry a big pole with a flag "sheep parade", play a nice little sheep parade marching song as I go, and may get some of my neighborhood sheep fans to join in when they want.

I think this is "legal" according to current rules, it is 3am and I am a bit sleep deprived because Bambi needs cold fresh air every night to stay healthy so my sense of judgment is a little flawed. I think this will also be considered insane enough to be covered by every late night talk show in US and canada, and it may be city of edmonton bylaws rather than me who may be the laughingstock.

I am happy to learn what is wrong with my idea, thank you. I am not recommending this as solution.
My final product using your twokinds excerpt may be a <5 minute video... is matter of explaining while I don't like loopholes, I do what I have to for greater good against a bylaw that seems to hurt 90%+ of my neighbors. (In my would everything including news stories, TV talk shows, etc has to be <5 minute clips, they literally once paid $100 to hire a cab to take me to their studio and fuss for 1 hour involving lots of their employees for a few minute final product on TV, the Toronto one I gave link to above)

(I graze their acreages, they love to see my animals, even people from high density housing nearby love the sheep to point where for example when I am going to store by bike path at 10:30am to buy something, a good looking 20+ year old girl will race up behind me on her bike and ask if I am sheep guy and want to talk to me. She lived in high density housing nearby, knows more about local coyotes than me, etc, wants to help... we ended up talking till midnight, never made it to store. She is not the first, for example had another similar girl walk into my driveway before, similar situation... get lots of similar surprise visits from various others, including guys, group of 4 older women bicyclers, etc from high density nearby homes)

multilis
Citizen

Re: May I use excerpt from TwoKinds to help my real life civic bylaw situation?

#2 Post by multilis »

If someone is interested, there is lots more news clips including a few canada national news ones (CBC national news, National Post, etc), local front page newspaper news (entire front page of edmonton sun and part of front page of edmonton journal), every major local news station, all of course your <5 minutes of fame for 1 day or 2 days. And all the biggest drama is yet to come including my best plans.

Above crazy idea popped in my head few hours ago, yesterday was similar story where though I am not a musician or singer at all, can't even do sheet music, I somehow magically got idea for entire song including enough to create sheet music, <5 minute music video, etc.

Problem if I go on too much is my friend Gary explained starts to sound like "rantings of a lunatic", people are busy, can only absorb short things. So on request can include bunch of other info of all sorts including interesting stories given to me by the sheep fans.

multilis
Citizen

#3 Post by multilis »

Other stories I can tell are series of seem like getting fluke help repeatedly at just the right time, was whole string of them in a row yesterday, including my neighbors dog (looks like skinnier pitbull) who normally shreds leather, making sure my leather wallet that I lost was returned to me unharmed (he gave it to owner who called me)

Kaz
Master

#4 Post by Kaz »

What.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#5 Post by Vintage »

Kaz wrote:What.
Which is the perfect reaction.

I gather that you want permission from Tom to use his content in some sort of proposal? It would have been much easier and more fitting to PM Tom instead of triple posting in a (public) thread. This kinda doesn't concern us forum-goers....

I know that sounds a little harsh or brash of me to say, but it's the unfortunate truth.

(waits for inevitable lock)
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Chris
Templar

#6 Post by Chris »

You may modify, translate, or redistribute any of my non-commercial work. You may use my characters and settings, or draw inspiration for your own work.
http://twokinds.keenspot.com/?p=faq

Unfortunately the link to the actual licensing page is broken, but that statement is in the FAQ.

multilis
Citizen

#7 Post by multilis »

Yes I was asking for permission from Tom, I am basically creating a series of "commercials" for my cause, each <5 minutes that news media can use to create stories to help me, and people can watch on my webpage.

I gave background info so Tom could judge whether he wanted to give permission. Thank you for the info you posted.

multilis
Citizen

#8 Post by multilis »

And sorry for asking info when answer was already there, I have been extremely busy so I forget to do homework.