Car Rental age in Canada is..?

Got a question? Ya just gotta ask! Go on, ask about anything.

Moderator: Moderators

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Car Rental age in Canada is..?

#1 Post by FurryForlife »

I know we have some Canadians sulking around here, so I must ask: What is the age requirement to rent a car up there? I'm planning on visiting there within the year and am going to need to rent a car to get around. I've heard that it was 19, but I'm asking my fairly reliable forum to be sure. =)
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Luca Fox
Grand Templar

Re: Car Rental age in Canada is..?

#2 Post by Luca Fox »

Why don't you just call a car rental service in your area and ask?

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#3 Post by aj »

Generally, 25 to rent. Some companies will let you rent at 21, but expect to pay dearly for that privilege.

I thought about renting a car too on my current visit. Yeah... nope.
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#4 Post by FurryForlife »

Luca Fox wrote:Why don't you just call a car rental service in your area and ask?
Oh, I don't know... Perhaps it's because I'm not Canadian? It's vastly easier, and probably more reliable to ask here, rather than get some local agent that likely wouldn't know.
aj wrote:Generally, 25 to rent. Some companies will let you rent at 21, but expect to pay dearly for that privilege.

Gah, that's just ridiculous. Silly Canadian laws. (Mean that in the least offensive way possible, just in case someone decides to this I'm racist against Canadians... o.0)
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#5 Post by Sable Dove »

FurryForlife wrote:
aj wrote:Generally, 25 to rent. Some companies will let you rent at 21, but expect to pay dearly for that privilege.

Gah, that's just ridiculous. Silly Canadian laws. (Mean that in the least offensive way possible, just in case someone decides to this I'm racist against Canadians... o.0)
Is it not 25 in the US? It was when I was in Florida.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#6 Post by FurryForlife »

Sable Dove wrote:
FurryForlife wrote:

It's 18 where I live, which is near St.Louis.

Edit, scratch that: 21, or they charge you out the [censored] in extra.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#7 Post by avwolf »

Sable Dove wrote:
FurryForlife wrote:

I think it's 18 in the US, strictly speaking, but if you're under 24 or 25, you have to pay a significant amount of money for additional insurance.

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by RedDwarfIV »

avwolf wrote:
Sable Dove wrote:
FurryForlife wrote:

I think it's 18 in the US, strictly speaking, but if you're under 24 or 25, you have to pay a significant amount of money for additional insurance.
Didn't Top Gear prove that its mostly easier to buy an old car than rent one? I mean, no one got murdered [I quote "If you go beyond 29th Street, you will be shot."], they all agreed they got a better car than a rental would have given them, and they got to put a cow on the roof, and they got to give their cars to Hurricane Katrina victims in New Orleans at the end of the trip [except May, since no one wanted his Mercadies that kept breaking down and needing jump starts at inopportune moments.]

I realise that was a bit of a ramble, but could it not be applied to Canada too?
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

aj
Consistently Inconsistent

#9 Post by aj »

In theory, yep, it'll work. I can drive a friend's car in Canada even though I can't rent one. (Insurance is still an issue though. Might be limited to family, so that might nix the idea.)

In practice though, stuff like transfer of ownership, etc etc takes time. So it doesn't make sense unless you're there for a while. (The Top Gear staff probably had an expert help with the transfer, got it accelerated, etc, stuff which you won't be able to do.)
avwolf wrote:"No dating dog-girls, young man, your father is terribly allergic!"
y̸̶o͏͏ų̕ sh̡o̸̵u̶̕l̴d̵̡n̵͠'̵́͠t͜͢ ̀͜͝h̶̡àv̸e͡ ̛d̷̨͡o͏̀ne ̶͠͡t҉́h̕a̧͞t̨҉́.̵̧͞.͠͞.͟

RedDwarfIV
Templar Inner Circle

#10 Post by RedDwarfIV »

I'll agree with that. Though insurance would be more of an issue than you seem to realise. Not even fully comp' drivers can drive someone elses car on their own insurance. They need to be named on the policy for that car.
If every cloud had a silver lining, there would be a lot more plane crashes.
ImageImageImage

angelicalee8

#11 Post by angelicalee8 »

FurryForlife wrote:I know we have some Canadians sulking around here, so I must ask: What is the age requirement to rent a car up there? I'm planning on visiting there within the year and am going to need to rent a car to get around. I've heard that it was 19, but I'm asking my fairly reliable forum to be sure. =)
Generally everywhere the minimum age to rent a car is 25, but I know U-Haul will rent to you if you are 18... You could always rent a U-Haul pickup truck for your visit. I ran into this issue when I went to Las Vegas last year and I needed a rental car because I was going to Las Vegas Weddings and Wedding Chapels and Vegas Shows that were far away from my hotel. I was not old enough to rent a car, so I rented a u-haul pickup truck and rolled in style all weekend. :)