Re: Announcment For All Users, User Names And Pruning

And now, a word from our moderators

Moderator: Moderators

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#1 Post by FastChapter »

Spring cleaning in January, eh? ;) Thanks for updating everything, Nanaki.

C_Death
Master

#2 Post by C_Death »

Ah yeah almost 3 years without a post? Give em the axe!
But what about legitimate names that just happen to have parts of the above words? Hancock comes to mind, but I can't think of any others, so it probably won't matter that much.

Thanks for keeping the forums in good order.

SlowFag
Master

#3 Post by SlowFag »

Can't help but think that my presence here might've had something to do with this new naming filter.

SlowFag
Master

#4 Post by SlowFag »

As I'm not privy to the inner machinations of the forum administration, I don't know if you've already considered this. However, I did suggest to Sage that you guys adopt a more comprehensive naming policy to your forum rules. Something similar to this might be in order:

1. You may not use any names that are vulgar, sexually explicit, racist, or otherwise offensive in nature.
2. You may not use any names that relate to drugs.
3. You may not use any names that are alternate spellings of any name that would violate clause 1 or 2 of the naming policy. (This would cover names like "huegkok," which would not be a violation otherwise)

This works well in combination with a name blacklist. The blacklist stops the blatantly in violation names. The clearly-stated policies back you up if you run into someone whose name is unacceptable, and you can add their old name to the blacklist after you force a name change on them.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#5 Post by FastChapter »

I don't see anything wrong with that idea, myself, though I don't know if it's possible for Nanaki or Tom to add a warning like that to the registration page. It'd be nice if they could, just so there's that extra buffer before someone even considers naming themselves "BigTits69" or something.

RenaDyne
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by RenaDyne »

holy cr**, talk about luck that i started browsing with this account again a day or two before the purging

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#7 Post by FastChapter »

:o I didn't even realize you were a 2006 user! *facepalm* That is a stroke of luck!

RenaDyne
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by RenaDyne »

Yeah I know, isnt it? Kinda ironic too

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by AzeNaku »

I don't see the irony.

SlowFag
Master

#10 Post by SlowFag »

[quote="FastChapter"]I don't see anything wrong with that idea, myself, though I don't know if it's possible for Nanaki or Tom to add a warning like that to the registration page. It'd be nice if they could, just so there's that extra buffer before someone even considers naming themselves "BigTits69" or something.[/quote]

If someone felt like it, they could edit the board code to do something like add a link to the forum's naming policies (or list them on the page itself) where the user actually chooses their name when registering. Could also add it to the rules you agree to when you make your account.

ETA: Unrelated question. Why is BBCode off for this forum?

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#11 Post by FastChapter »

It's just off for this thread, the rest of the forum is fine.

SlowFag
Master

#12 Post by SlowFag »

[quote="Nanaki"]Ill be looking into what slowfag suggested this upcoming weekend. theirs no blatant option for it but ill see if there's anything i can do.[/quote]

It's something you'll have to change in the board code. I think like bluefoxx or one of the other guys on IRC knows some PHP. Worst come to worst, I could do it. But I'm really slow.

Ashpool
Templar Master

#13 Post by Ashpool »

Actually, I believe that the rules displayed to users are editabled from the Admin CP. Not entirely sure though.

SlowFag
Master

#14 Post by SlowFag »

[quote="Delusional Kangaroo"]Actually, I believe that the rules displayed to users are editabled from the Admin CP. Not entirely sure though.[/quote]

To my recollection, it is not editable in that manner under phpBB 2.x. It may be possible under phpBB 3.x, which I believe is what is used here. My experience with administrating phpBB 3.x is severely limited, as the forums I administrate are on 2.x.

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#15 Post by FastChapter »

I'm pretty sure DK is right. We just upgraded to PHPBB 3.0 not too long ago, so hooray for more tools and such, :P