Forum Outage, Part Deux

Announcements about forum and website maintenance

Moderator: Moderators

Cyon
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Forum Outage, Part Deux

#16 Post by Cyon »

Sidenote: on Tuesday, I changed my password as was recommended, yet when I tried signing on today it had reverted to my previous one. No idea what happened, but though I should point it out as it was working fine two days ago.
Who even looks at signatures anyways?

Multitasking is just a way to be less efficient at two different things simultaneously

Furcode: FCWp5ad A- C->+ D H+ M- P? R++ T++ W? Z- Sm# RL- a- cl++ d+ e- f h* i++ j? p- sm-

puredeathly
Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: Flora

#17 Post by puredeathly »

Thx for fixing the forum (again)!
Can confirm the part about phpBB being a sieve of exploits and I know how tiring this can be...

jacobc62
Grand Templar

#18 Post by jacobc62 »

As a heads up, the profanity filter isn't working properly (for me at least). I have it turned off, but profane language is still hidden behind "[censored]".

I know, probably not gonna be the highest thing on your "to fix" list, just figured I'd bring it to your attention.
"That poor, sexy [censored]...." -Evals Vaughan, October 2016

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#19 Post by TinyVoices »

jacobc62 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 am As a heads up, the profanity filter isn't working properly (for me at least). I have it turned off, but profane language is still hidden behind "[censored]".

I know, probably not gonna be the highest thing on your "to fix" list, just figured I'd bring it to your attention.
Are you [censored] seeing this [censored]? : P
I don't think I've noticed that bug, but I may as well check.

(edit- It's broke, boss. Unless it's supposed to do that by default in this particular board now.)

I have my own thinger to mention. I've found if I scroll before the page is fully loaded, scrolling with my mouse wheel will stop working. Anywhere where scrolling should work, won't work, until I fix the issue. I fix the issue by opening a new tab. I can either just open a forum location into a new tab (such as middle clicking the forum logo to go back to the index page) or just open a new Incognito tab and navigating back to the forum.

Pretty sure it's only if I scroll before the page is done loading, but only til now have I even found the bug so I gotta look into it more. Though it is very easy to replicate and fix (and technically avoid, too).

OH. And the forum search seems to be really derpy right now. It doesn't want to search for certain words. For example, it 500 errors after a while of trying to look for veteran, templar, or friend. But it can do things like season, journey, and board just fine. After messing with it some, it seems as though if the word has too common of a result number, it borks. But if you limit your search by board it does a better job in some cases. So it probably can handle the number of results or something. That's my guess anyway...

Turaiel
Administrator
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#20 Post by Turaiel »

jacobc62 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:29 am As a heads up, the profanity filter isn't working properly (for me at least). I have it turned off, but profane language is still hidden behind "[censored]".
Some quick research tells me this is a bug in the current version of phpBB. Hopefully the next version will resolve it.
Website Administrator

Turaiel
Administrator

#21 Post by Turaiel »

TinyVoices wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:17 am OH. And the forum search seems to be really derpy right now. It doesn't want to search for certain words. For example, it 500 errors after a while of trying to look for veteran, templar, or friend. But it can do things like season, journey, and board just fine. After messing with it some, it seems as though if the word has too common of a result number, it borks. But if you limit your search by board it does a better job in some cases. So it probably can handle the number of results or something. That's my guess anyway...
I switched the search system the forum was using and rebuild the search index. It should work decently now.
Website Administrator

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#22 Post by TinyVoices »

Fawkes wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:57 am I just want to mention that I have noticed that both the same word censoring bug that is happening to jacobc62 and the scroll wheel bug TinyVoices described are happening to me as well.
Regarding the scroll wheel bug, I think I may have figured what the issue is but we'll need to confirm it. :P

Fawkes, do you use Chrome on the forum?

My point being I found a Chrome bug thread that sounds like what is plaguing me. Current version of Chrome (go to chrome://version and look for Google Chrome: 57.0.etc) has a good chance to lock scroll wheels up if you are scrolling while a page is loading. They were able to isolate the issue and according to that thread will have it fixed in the next update (version 58) coming up here soon.

This doesn't outright affect this site, only people who use Chrome version 57 to view this site. (And technically if you use Chrome on a lot of other sites, too.)

I did what the following suggested to do, and it works so far to fix the issue. But otherwise it seems holding out for another week for the next update might fix it anyway. :P
Hi there. The fix missed version 57 on most (all?) platforms. But the good news is that it should ship in version 58, which according to https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar should *about* next week. You can check what version you're in in chrome://version.

In the mean time, you can fix the issue by disabling chrome://flags/#smooth-scrolling
Obviously since in a week this will all be irrelevant, I just wanted to state it in case someone was trying to figure out what was wrong with the Forums regarding the bug.

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#23 Post by Lief »

If you're still poking around with the themes at all, Turaiel, I have a request.

Would it be possible to get a darker theme in the same style as the current default? (Twokinds Subsilver) It's something that's been bothering me since before the outage but I hadn't gotten around to mentioning anything. I like the colors (Or is it shades?) of the current theme fine, but it kills my eyes at night, which is when I'm most active on here.

Turaiel
Administrator

#24 Post by Turaiel »

Lief wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2017 1:36 pm If you're still poking around with the themes at all, Turaiel, I have a request.

Would it be possible to get a darker theme in the same style as the current default? (Twokinds Subsilver) It's something that's been bothering me since before the outage but I hadn't gotten around to mentioning anything. I like the colors (Or is it shades?) of the current theme fine, but it kills my eyes at night, which is when I'm most active on here.
No, sorry. It'll be difficult enough to maintain one extra theme as the forum gets upgraded. There are browser extensions that can automatically switch websites to dark themes (such as Dark Reader for Chrome). You can also use a blue light filter at night (such as F.lux or macOS' and iOS' Night Shift feature) to make things easier on your eyes.
Website Administrator