Ready Player One

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

midnightblink
Council Member

Ready Player One

#1 Post by midnightblink »

A TRAILER HAS FINALLY COME OUT, I CANNOT CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT. This is my favorite book of all time, and I've been waiting for this for YEARS. I know Hollywood is very hit-or-miss when it comes to book adaptations (well, more like miss-or-horrendously-miss), which is why I decided a long time ago that I would not go into this expecting an exact adaptation, more an evocation, but even still, this has got me SOOOOOOOO HYPED. I can not tell you how excited I was just to see the Delorean in there, because Spielberg said a while ago that he wasn't going to include any references to stuff he was a part of

phpBB [video]

It seems my stance on the whole "evocation over adaptation" was well thought out, though, as there are already quite a few things I know will be changed or added. For instance:
-The "Sixers" (those robots with IOI on their forheads) were not robots, but instead basically all the default character in game, wearing IOI suits
-I assume Ultraman, who played a VERY pivotal part of the story, will be replaced by the Iron Giant
-There was no large racing scene in the book, but as long as it fits in THEIR story, I'm okay with it
-I-r0k, who is being played by TJ Miller, will have a VERY different role. In the book, he's basically just a dick that pretends to be a really good gunter (egg-hunter, something you'll learn about in the movie) who is constantly being shown up by the main characters, but now, he's been described as a "Boba Fett" type bounty hunter in the service of IOI

But still, as long as this is just a good movie that hits the same beats as the book, I'll be happy with it

EDIT: Also, apparently Wade's best friend, Aech (like the letter, H) is the orc we see a couple times in the trailer. It doesn't REALLY matter that much, but the way Aech is depicted in the book conveys a pretty strong message when you get to the end
Primum Non Nocere

Keith/Natani

Re: Ready Player One

#2 Post by Keith/Natani »

I've never heard of that book but after seeing the trailer I AM HYPED FOR THE MOVIE!

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Insomniac »

Hooooooooooly crap, my hype gauge just broke. This kind of full dive VR tech is my holy grail, man. ...That being said. I hope it doesn't turn out to be more style than substance and/or a horribly written mess with wholly unlikable characters like what happened to Valerian.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

Oh, I'm disappointed to hear that about Valerian. I was excited to go see it. But on topic:

I'm excited for this film, sort of, but I don't think it'll do amazingly well. I don't dislike the book - I actually quite enjoyed it - but I've been discounting a film adaptation ever since I read it for a few reasons.

First and foremost, this is a book which gets by on a good story and likeable characters, but its atmosphere and much of the substance of the plot is entirely references to a decade 5-10 years or so before its target audience was even born. Films which rely upon references to get by (often comedies) tend to feel rather thin when it comes to substance. Especially in this case, where many of the references are old and obscure. Will the same impact be had when he takes the Voight-Kampf test, mirroring Blade Runner? What about Wargames, a cult classic but one many teenagers haven't seen?

So for that reason I think they couldn't stick with the original plot too heavily. Supaidaman + Leopardon will definitely get cut, Ultraman might, and I'm not sure about Dungeons of Daggorath.

The second reason is that although they have a compelling story, it's a story that sort of works as a book. The necessary changes for adapting it into a film will I think make the plot less compelling, especially now that we know Aich plays less of a part and I-R0K is more of a big deal. I haven't seen anything about Art3mis yet either, really. The moving around of the characters to make for what seems like an action film, I'm just not sure about.

I sort of lost track here, but I dunno, I don't have high hopes. I liked the book but I think this is one film that might not make it off the ground. But hey, if it does and it's worthy of the book then I'm all for it!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!