Archie Comics discontinuing Sonic the Hedgehog comic books after 24 years

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Foxx Trotter
Council Member

Archie Comics discontinuing Sonic the Hedgehog comic books after 24 years

#1 Post by Foxx Trotter »

I first noticed this on Twitter last night and later on another forum earlier today that Sega of America is discontinuing its partnership with Archie Comics in regards to making the Sonic the Hedgehog comic books which first began in 1993. Archie Comics actually stopped it earlier this year after producing nearly 300 issues. It is, apparently, the longest-running monthly American-made comic book series in the country to date without having a reboot. Other miniseries such as Princess Sally, Sonic & Knuckles and Knuckles the Echidna were made during the period, but were only for a short venture.

I collected a number of these a while back, but really haven't bought many comic books in almost ten years. The last Sonic the Hedgehog issue I got was back in 2005. There will be plenty of catching up for me down the road if I choose to finish my collection. I was lucky enough to obtain many of the early back issues directly though Archie Publications over 15 years ago after I first started collecting them, including the premier issue back in 1993. I've had mixed reviews on some of the artworks in the comics, although I'm aware many people have worked on certain issues in the series. Some drawings were quite good, while others were a bit on the corny side. I also didn't like the creations that were done on Bunnie, as it was noticeably different from the TV version of her produced by DiC. They also made her into somewhat of a cowgirl in later issues of the comic when she was actually a 'Southerner'.

Anyway, we'll have to see if the comic continues in the future via another publisher.

Videre videnda.