Logan

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

midnightblink
Council Member

Logan

#1 Post by midnightblink »

Holy crap, this movie came out of nowhere for me. I wasn't even planning on seeing it the other day, My bf and a friend of his wanted to see Ghost in the Shell, and then realized it doesn't come out until Friday, so Logan was our second choice, but boy should it have been the first. The movie was absolutely amazing, and I dare to say the best comic book movie of all time, and I'm not just throwing that out like some would for the Avengers or Deadpool because they enjoyed it, this was a beautiful, well structured narrative with relatable characters and a great sense of tone and subtlety. It fully uses the "show don't tell" concept in many story elements, and I feel like that is lost in a lot of modern comic book movies. They also REALLY used that R rating, because I would say that it was also one of the most brutal and visceral movies I've ever seen, there were some moments that had me cringing in my seat, but they never felt gratuitous or out of place, it IS a movie about a guy that rips people to shreds with claws that come out of his knuckles. The overall tone of the movie could be described as HEAVY, you could feel the characters' regret and sadness through the amazing performances by Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewert, Steven Merchant and the child actor in particular, Dafne Keen, knocked it out of the park. Of course, the movie wasn't PERFECT, but I think it will show Hollywood that comic book movies can be more than just family-fun popcorn flicks, and that they can be taken seriously. I do want to talk about some small little nitpicks I had, but I can't do that without spoiling, so if you haven't seen it, do it as soon as you can, and you can see if you agree with me
Spoiler!
One of the things that kind of bugged me the most was how some of the children had really different accents. I mean, when Laura finally starts talking, half the time it's in Spanish, and she has a VERY heavy hispanic accent when speaking english, but Rictor (the earthbender/leader of the kids) sounded like he was born and raised in Chicago, with not even a hint of a non-american accent. Like, all these kids were raised in the same lab in Mexico City, shouldn't they all have the same accent?

There were also a few scenes where I facepalmed at the enemy soldiers, like the scene where the soldiers first find Laura and they have Logan held at gunpoint and they just LEAVE LOGAN BY HIMSELF TO LOOK FOR LAURA. I understand that his healing factor is going away, but do you really think it's smart to leave the mutant with knife-hands by himself? You thought he would just wait in that spot for you to come back? I understand they're scared of Laura, but these are suppose to be trained mercenaries. There was another scene towards the end of the movie when Logan was talking to the main antagonist, I think his name was Rice, and Laura was sneaking around waiting for a signal and she literally hid behind a vehicle IN PLAIN VIEW OF A COUPLE GUYS IN ANOTHER VEHICLE BEHIND HER. Like, do they have no peripheral vision or something? She's not exactly wearing camo.

Anyway, those were just a couple small things that didn't effect the experience TOO much for me, I'm not a complete cynic. One thing I haven't seen many people talk about is that kind of subtle side story about how Transigen has basically been drugging the food market so that no one gave birth to mutants anymore. I like how it was subtly foreshadowed in stuff like the commercial for some kind of GMO corn, and how the one farmer guy talked about how all the farms they were buying up were being used to make corn syrup. Also, how amazing was that last scene where Laura took the cross and turned it into an X on his grave? So perfect
Primum Non Nocere

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Logan

#2 Post by kiabugboy »

And then you have the kids in my class who thinks 'logan is boring because it was just driving and not much action'....