Alien Covenant

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Alien Covenant

#1 Post by The Rookie »

Hey Aliens fans.

So Ridley Scott is back at the helm of the Aliens series with his new instalment continuing on from Prometheus, Alien Covenant.

If you're only just hearing about this right now, the plot seems very simple so far. Human colonist are planning on creating a settlement on a habitable world, only once they get there they find the ruins of what was the planet's original inhabitants, along with a couple of strange rooms filled with odd leathery egg shaped things...

There's 3 trailers out that I've seen so far, but there may be others with minor variations.

There's #1: Focusing on the horror aspect, giving it the very classic Alien vibe.

#2: An introduction to the crew and their 'family unit'. Briefly who they are, who they're with (The entire population are male/female couples), and what they're doing.

#3: Very action heavy, Aliens ish type trailer. Honestly, this is the weaker out of the three and only hurt my expectations for the film.While the others had promoted a return to roots horror experience, this latest one breaks that wide open with very heavy CGI aliens running around fully exposed to the lighting effects, instead of skulking in shadows.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

Re: Alien Covenant

#2 Post by kiabugboy »

Just gonna repeat what i said in skype, needs less alien moving fast and jumping around, more hide and seek / cat and mouse game between the xenomorph and the survivors, cranks up the tension especially seeing that there doesn't seem to be many aliens here or a queen hive which probably fits the more frantic fast moving aliens since the threat is in the numbers, also that last bit with the alien breaking the window looks disturbingly fake....

Though apparently my brother doesn't agree and calls me a CGI 'hater'

Him
The Secret Forum Mod
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#3 Post by Him »

I agree with you, Rookie. In comparison to how they usually sneak around better than Schrodinger's cat- a Xenomorph running around in broad daylight seems infinitely less scary. They have been trying to get to this point for a while now. Like Aliens wasn't a scary movie after the gunfight started. Honestly, if they have little-to-no weapons it essentially makes this movie feel like a mashup of Alien 3 and Prometheus. Which I think would be bad.

Now, I am hopeful for this movie because I am biased and I loved the Alien and Predator movies. I hope I'm wrong about it being awful.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#4 Post by Schrodinger »

For me, a resounding 'Meh.' I'll pass on this like I did Prometheus.
What was it the spider said to the fly...