Obama Administration and ICANN

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Obama Administration and ICANN

#1 Post by TinyVoices »

So, this began back in March by the looks of it, but there is only a little more than a month until it may happen.

Obama seeks to completely give up United States ownership in the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) system, something that we have held on to since its invention. Obama seems to want to cave in to decades of requests by foreign nations to do this, as he hopes to make the U.S. appear 'clean' of any kind of wrongdoing in terms of internet control. This would, however, give over U.S. resources such as the .gov url, which some see as a national resource that cannot be given away by the executive branch (the president).

This video explains it all on one side of the coin, but this is the video that got me interested in it. It's a bit of an alarmist take, I'll admit, but I feel this is indeed something that cannot be undone. Obama should not be allowed to give this up without the consent of congress, and they should make sure that the nation's best interest is involved here.

The U.S. maintaining control over the IP domains is significantly better than giving any significant chunk of that power over to countries like China or many of those in the middle east, who are well known to be heavy handed with censorship. The internet should be available to everyone globally, but any government censorship should be exclusively exorcised in a country's borders. Potentially giving that ability to dictator governments is just not worth it.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: Obama Administration and ICANN

#2 Post by Bellhead »

As much as I hate the idea of giving away the power of internet censorship to countries without the freedom of speech we have, it might be a good idea.

But I still cannot truely accept the consequences of such an action, if the effects are as bad as that would be.

I like being able to say whatever I want online. If the US giving up internet power to another country doesn't affect that, I'd be impartial, but for now I'll just stay a little to the sidelines and watch.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

foxlord
Elder foxy

Re: Obama Administration and ICANN

#3 Post by foxlord »

If giving control up would in any way censor or control what we can say online, I'd say we shouldn't do it. The internet is a free resource for all to use, and to hinder that is well, completely against what it's for and what it stands for nowadays.
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian