No votes
Haven't seen it
42%

Total votes: 12

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Steven Universe

#1 Post by Ketzal »

Decided to make this topic after getting curious about people's opinions about this show. Now I'll admit, I'm a definite fan of the show (if my avatar was any indication, anyway XP), but given that I want to withhold any of my opinions about it. Instead I'm more curious about what everyone else thinks about it. Hate it? Love it? Meh?

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Steven Universe

#2 Post by Vintage »

I love it.
I'm an adult...shut up

I like the art style, the characters, the story and the underlying messages. Is it flawless? Absolutely not. The show takes a while to get into, the episode runtime is very short and it "keeps its mysteries as mysteries by having Steven not ask any important questions". But technically it is a kids show, so unfortunately these reason are more justified. Also, some of the fans are ship crazy. Some of the fans harassed one of the storyboard writers because she apparently didn't support a popular ship/mislead a ship which lead her to actually delete her twitter account. Though most of the fans supported her, the fact that a small, crazy subset of fans is stupid enough to do that to one of the artists goes to show that the fans aren't perfect either.

But despite those facts I've watched every episode. I actually tried to get into a panel with the Crewniverse at Comic Con, but there must have been almost a thousand people in line ahead of me and that's not an exaggeration. Trying not to sound like a flower child here - but it's probably the most progressive show marketed towards children that I've seen. There are a couple episodes that might take the show's "pushing the standards of a children's animated TV show" nature a little too far, but luckily those instances don't completely dominate entire episodes.

Another thing I enjoy about the show is the gradual expansion on its lore, even though the speed at which the writers reveal things can be frustrating at times. As I mentioned before, getting into the show takes a while. This is probably because episodes that pertain to the lore don't really appear until around twenty episodes in. But when those episodes come around, you realize that there's actually a significant amount of backstory that's pretty interesting. Occasionally the show's writers like to foreshadow either upcoming episodes that reveal more about the storyline or just the show's history by adding discreet symbols/diagrams in the background or by continuing plot devices that were thought to be finished. That being said, a lot of people have their own theories about how the show will progress. Even notable people like Doug Walker (The Nostalgia Critic) and his brother Rob do semi-frequent Vlogs on their thoughts about each episode.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#3 Post by Ketzal »

Nice summary, but I don't know if I'd show that video to people who are on the fence about it. It gives away the biggest spoilers of the first season away in the dumbest way possible. It's funny, but I think it was meant for people who had already seen the first season.

Vintage
Certified Fool

#4 Post by Vintage »

Ketzal wrote:Nice summary, but I don't know if I'd show that video to people who are on the fence about it. It gives away the biggest spoilers of the first season away in the dumbest way possible. It's funny, but I think it was meant for people who had already seen the first season.
I was debating whether or not I should include that, but I thought it would be funny enough to compensate for that fact. I suppose I'll remove it then.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by Ketzal »

TheWMM wrote:
Ketzal wrote:Nice summary, but I don't know if I'd show that video to people who are on the fence about it. It gives away the biggest spoilers of the first season away in the dumbest way possible. It's funny, but I think it was meant for people who had already seen the first season.
I was debating whether or not I should include that, but I thought it would be funny enough to compensate for that fact. I suppose I'll remove it then.
Thanks. It's just that I've had friends who weren't sure about that show and then got turned off from it after watching that XP

One other thing I will say about it is that the music is pretty awesome. It's got an awesome blend of genres with what sounds like video game-y tunes mixed in

Vintage
Certified Fool

#6 Post by Vintage »

Ketzal wrote:
TheWMM wrote:
Thanks. It's just that I've had friends who weren't sure about that show and then got turned off from it after watching that XP
(;_;)
Ketzal wrote:One other thing I will say about it is that the music is pretty awesome. It's got an awesome blend of genres with what sounds like video game-y tunes mixed in
Well, I know something that I can post - the final, full version of the credits theme has been spliced together:

[video]https://youtu.be/2F8HvKqnp5s[/video]
Image Image