Moderator: Moderators

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

civil war

#1 Post by kiabugboy »

2nd trailer for civil war came out

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKrVegVI0Us[/video]

what do you guys think?
so far the previous trailers personally didn't really intrigue me that much. since it seems to be focusing between cap' and bucky and it didn't feel like this huge event where all superheroes would be conflicted with the government.

but this trailer kinda got me more interested. They addressed about the city destruction that has happened in the MCU
and there are many interesting clips like scarlett witch trying to control(?) vision, whatever that building was that got destroyed possibly with civillians inside, rhodes taken out and falling from the sky (could he possibly die here?).

lastly of course, the web-slinger himself. i think the overall costume is pretty cool and they're not trying to make it look gritty or high-tech. dunno about that mechanical eye though, but someone in the comments mentioned that tony built spidey a more high-tech suit in the comics so that might be it.

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

Re: civil war

#2 Post by Bellhead »

Welp. I've got another movie to look forward to.

It will be interesting to see how they present the whole "You destroyed cities and crashed helicarriers. Somebody's gotta take the blame for that" thing. This'll be a great action flick, that's for sure.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

midnightblink
Council Member

#3 Post by midnightblink »

One thing I don't like is you KNOW that everyone is going to be on Cap's side in the end, because it's Captain America: Civil War, not Iron Man: Civil war. I feel it would have been better if it was just "Marvel's Civil War", as to keep the ambiguity of who you should be rooting for.

Also, I don't really like the new Spidey suit, it looks too CGI. I get it's more accurate to the comics, but people like Cap, Black Widow and Scarlet Whitch get more realistic outfits, so it really stands out in a bad way for me.
Primum Non Nocere

minime
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by minime »

midnightblink wrote:One thing I don't like is you KNOW that everyone is going to be on Cap's side in the end, because it's Captain America: Civil War, not Iron Man: Civil war. I feel it would have been better if it was just "Marvel's Civil War", as to keep the ambiguity of who you should be rooting for.

Also, I don't really like the new Spidey suit, it looks too CGI. I get it's more accurate to the comics, but people like Cap, Black Widow and Scarlet Whitch get more realistic outfits, so it really stands out in a bad way for me.
Did you ever read how it ends in the comics?

midnightblink
Council Member

#5 Post by midnightblink »

minime wrote:
midnightblink wrote:One thing I don't like is you KNOW that everyone is going to be on Cap's side in the end, because it's Captain America: Civil War, not Iron Man: Civil war. I feel it would have been better if it was just "Marvel's Civil War", as to keep the ambiguity of who you should be rooting for.

No, but since the MCU and the comics universe are separate, I trust their naming and marketing more than the comic when it comes to spoilers.
Primum Non Nocere

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

midnightblink wrote:
minime wrote:

No, but since the MCU and the comics universe are separate, I trust their naming and marketing more than the comic when it comes to spoilers.
They're more similar than you might expect, despite their differences. If they diverge from the comics too much, that has some troubling implications for the future of Marvel superheroes. I think the choice of name is more so that they can balance the number of movies in the franchises of the Avengers' leading men, or to indicate that the story will focus more on Steve Rogers.

That said, I find it hard to be excited for this movie. MCU is seeming less and less fascinating and more mundane somehow recently - So far the comics related to these movies have been more engaging for me, and I love superhero movies. While this might be the turning point between the recent "everything has gone to [censored]" Marvel films and whatever comes next, it might also just be another one of those films with the same theme as before. Can't say I really love the idea. Plus, I'm really not a fan of the new Spider-man. Andrew Garfield would've been perfect, especially if this links into New Avengers (which is likely, seeing as there's a Luke Cage series). I do hope it's good though.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Ketzal »

I just find the idea that these heroes that we've been following for so many movies are now at odds with each other. It's gonna be awesome to see them duke it out, but it's also kind heart-breaking to be this adamant against each other. I dunno man, I'm just excited, period.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#8 Post by ButterBall »

Ever since I realized that superheroes are Hollywood's new zombie craze, I've been picking and choosing which movies I see to try and avoid burning out on them (still a loooong way to go until Avengers 3). This one is on my list of "must see." Mainly because I loved the first Captain America movie and also because it seems like there are going to be some considerable consequences that will effect movies to come.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#9 Post by Schrodinger »

Spoiler!
I'm more invested in this version than I was of the comic storyline.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#10 Post by TheMouse »

I swear, if they don't let Cap have his speech... hands down the best conversation in comic books is Cap explaining his reasoning to Spidey.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#11 Post by Insomniac »

TheMouse wrote:I swear, if they don't let Cap have his speech... hands down the best conversation in comic books is Cap explaining his reasoning to Spidey.
If the next Spiderman movie is One More Day...I might just quit the MCU.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Zylver »

I have a few reactions towards this movie.

After the first trailer, realising that they want to put more emphasis on the Steve-Bucky shipping:

After the second trailer:

And my overall reaction:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#13 Post by Ketzal »

I mean, they still have a respectable cast size at this point. Give me quality over quantity any day.

Also, if what I've heard through the gossip about this movie is any indication, there's a lot of mixed feelings about the comic arc, even from a lot of the writers of the heroes involved. Maybe the movie is better off for focusing on less heroes

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by TheMouse »

Don't forget, this arc was HUGE. If they stayed dead true to the comics, we'd need a dozen movies, and a hundred heroes. They have to get the high points, the important bits, into 2 hours. Also, Thor: Ragnarok should be part of this. Ragnarok was a Thor clone, after all. Tony, messing with [censored] he doesn't understand. Go figure.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

The Rookie
Grand Templar

#15 Post by The Rookie »

So, Civil war is out here in Aus and I managed to catch the midnight release last night.

Got to say, it was pretty awesome. Certainly better than Age of Ultron, but not 100% if it was as good as Winter Solider. Like it'd be close, but there were things in there I thought they glossed over at times.

The main one for me would have just been how much they glossed over Ant-Man. He sort of shows up minutes before the big fight, does some stuff (Arguably cool stuff), then he's benched as a back ground prop for the remainder of the film. I mean yeah it's expected that you'd sideline some people, but I was hoping to see him a bit more.

Overall, it's alright. It's definitely not the same kind of story as Civil war is in the comics, but it's still enjoyable to watch.
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.