Where's the Fair Use?

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Where's the Fair Use?

#1 Post by Ketzal »

So I just recently watched a video by Doug Walker, a.k.a. The Nostalgia Critic, discussing the problem that apparently is arising with YouTube and it's policy on Fair Use and Copyright Infringement. Here's the video for reference:

[video]https://youtu.be/zVqFAMOtwaI[/video]

Now I myself am not a content creator on youtube, but I do know there are some users on this forum who are and are gaining popularity (I'm looking at you, Spero :P). It seems like a very sad situation for any individuals wishing to take a stab at the entertainment industry through the Internet, but what do you guys think? Has this situation affected you or anyone you know?

(God, I just realized how much my ending sentences sound like essay prompts in these kinds of posts XP)

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Where's the Fair Use?

#2 Post by Vintage »

I think it's definitely a legitimate concern for content creators. I'm not a creator myself, but I can still see the problems with YouTube's (quite broken) autonomous management system. Even Markiplier shared this video on Facebook the other day.

I'm glad that Doug is really pushing this problem into the spotlight. Just have a look at what TheFineBrothers just tried to do a while back, and it makes complete sense why they were nearly lynched for attempting to put more restrictions on an already restrictive system.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#3 Post by Bellhead »

And once again, we are legitimately concerned about our rights being taken away, and once again, it's because somebody in power is taking them away.

One day somebody's going to stand up to them. I just wish I could be there to see it.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#4 Post by Insomniac »

Saw this video recently, and a similar one by Pony reviewer and occasional top tenner Josh Scorcher/The Fiery Joker. He mentions that he has people who work for him who pretty much only work for him because they like him, because he can't afford to pay them minimum wage, and he's both embarrassed and angry about it because it's entirely because of YouTube's bull*#!@. Plus there's The Cinema Snob, who got a copyright claim on a video of him and a friend talking about a movie in their car. No clips, no images, no audio, just two guys in a car talking about a movie. Yeeeeeeeeeeeeah...
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

midnightblink
Council Member

#5 Post by midnightblink »

Relevent video

While I do agree with Sky on certain parts, namely that people making false claims are the bigger problem, I still do agree with the general populous that youtube needs to do something. False claims in the real world are illegal, so there needs to be some sort of punishment for those that make them.
Primum Non Nocere

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#6 Post by TinyVoices »

midnightblink wrote:Relevent video

While I do agree with Sky on certain parts, namely that people making false claims are the bigger problem, I still do agree with the general populous that youtube needs to do something. False claims in the real world are illegal, so there needs to be some sort of punishment for those that make them.
The appeal system, false claims, rampant disregard to what is Fair Use, and rampant display of Companies are more important than Consumers, are all issues here.

It's all of concern here. Saying that one part is a "bigger problem" and so the rest are irrelevant in comparison, defeats the point that they are still extremely cancerous. Youtube has been [censored] up hardcore for several years now, and only recently are people beginning to actually give a damn about it. If Youtube/Google actually took the time to pull out the algorithms and replace them with 40-60 real human beings, then the system would run a whole lot more smoothly. I mean, [censored]. It's YT/Google. If they can't afford to hire on a team dedicated towards YT Copyright Claims, then how the [censored] are there millionaires on YT simply because of ad revenue?

Semi-not related, but kind of still related: Steam Support sucks because it's non existent, similar to YT's support. There's maybe 2 humans working Steam Support, and with no phone number or direct email available it's impossible to dispute claims. My younger brother lost his account because of it, and so too has many others. And so I'm pretty scared of losing mine someday soon here, all because of a glitchy system and [censored] customer service.

The moral here is that we need to address when coding isn't up to par with real life human interaction. And YT is definitely up there.

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by Ketzal »

SperoWolf wrote:-snip-
Well-made point, but the lack of any communication and a broken system for contending these claims are kind of a problem. I do get what you're saying, and yes, it'd be a nightmare for any content creator or even youtube to handle the lawsuits that would be filed against them if the companies didn't have this alternative, but the fact remains that youtube isn't doing much to help people understand that they're trying to help content creators if that's their goal.

Also, the whole part with where the confiscated monetization goes seems kind of shifty. Again, I'm not a content creator myself, but it feels like this is going to create an environment that's too hostile for anyone wanting to break out into the internet entertainment community.

Stryder221
Templar GrandMaster

#8 Post by Stryder221 »

A bit of a necropost, but I find this entirely relevant.

So, about this whole fair use thing... Guess what? Apparently, there's progress being made against all the abuse being flung around.
At least a hundred-thousand people went ahead and spoke up to save fair use, in just roughly 30 hours.

Apparently, that makes them all mindless zombies.

Because, you know, citizens with an opinion equals an Apocalypse.

Anyway, here's a quick update for those who haven't been watching the situation closely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWNtkls2Jw
E͎͖̯̱̻͡r̲͇r͢҉͈͚ò͈̹̰̩̺͓̝̘̟̕r̨̡̺̥̲̰͕̭̬:̵͙̦̟̮̖̯̞́͢ ̴̛̞̙͙̠̲̝̟S̵͎̼̖̜̯͕̺͔̀i̶͉̟̝̻͕̺g̢̤͕n̴͈̩̝͓͖̹͕̟͢a͕̺̱͞ț̸̛͓u̢̥̣̣̰̪ͅr̨̠͙̯̣̣̘̠ḛ̡̨̟̗̥̰̱̻ͅ ̻̮̼̥͕̼͉͎u͏͔̳n͏͔͈̭̭͟a̮͕͖̲͕͙͔ͅv̺̦̼̥̭͙a͏҉̦̺̫̯i̝̙̳̜l̴̡̳̥͠a̢̘̬͈͢ͅb̶̶̦͉͙́ḷ̸̙̙̳̩̥́e͔̪̳̦̫͚̪̹ͅ.͖̠̗͔̖̞ͅ

Razmoudah
Merchant

#9 Post by Razmoudah »

Well, I would've loved to have left a comment about some of the games I've played (and eventually bought) because of a review (normally in Game Informer, I don't usually go to You Tube reviews), but You Tube apparently isn't liking me right now and won't let me leave a comment. This isn't even new for me, as half the time You Tube doesn't like me, and that seems to be true for both of my computers not just the one I check webcomics on.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

Razmoudah
Merchant

#10 Post by Razmoudah »

Well, at least it appears that they have made the single most useful forward step possible that can be quickly implemented, holding the revenue in escrow until the dispute is resolved. Now to see how things go on some of the other points.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

Vintage
Certified Fool

#11 Post by Vintage »

schradieck wrote:Somewhat relevant. Dan Bull may have helped us make a giant leap forwards dealing with this BS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a6K1NiUY2s
Sounds like there's some progress being made, but it's pretty ironic that they made him sign a non-disclosure form. You'd think that YouTube would want to try and resolve this on-going dispute rather quickly to avoid PR nightmares.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

BasettLord
Citizen

#12 Post by BasettLord »

I just want to be able to watch abridged parodies and possibly make them myself. If someone makes a disclaimer at the beginning of the video, that is enough in my opinion.
I will make this world of my devising, out of a dream in my lonely mind...

It's not to late to suggest cards for the cardcast, (basically Cards against humanity), deck for the forum.
:potatoes: :potatoes: :potatoes:

Zylver
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Zylver »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=duxgvPK2LNA[/video]

As I said it in my comment under the video: the dictators of the 20th century would lick all fingers' of each other seeing how a multinational gigacorporation accuses people who had done nothing wrong and want to clear themselves... Gratz YouTube! :D

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

amenon
Grand Templar

#14 Post by amenon »

Zylver wrote:As I said it in my comment under the video: the dictators of the 20th century would lick all fingers' of each other seeing how a multinational gigacorporation accuses people who had done nothing wrong and want to clear themselves... Gratz YouTube! :D
I watched this video, and it seemed like a complete non-sequitur to me. The email he reads out just makes me think that when someone files a counter-claim for the first time, there's an automatic reply that tells them to make really really sure they know what they're doing, probably based on some criteria.

I'm also not at all sure the claim is invalid, since it sounds like he took some photographer's photos and used them without permission. I'm not sure if that's fair use in this context, but my first guess would be no.

The system is messed up for sure, but I'm not sure this showcases any of it, apart from the bit at the beginning of the video, which has nothing to do with the current case he describes.

Did I miss something?
]]> Twokinds search (search the comic based on art or text!)

My most recent Twokinds smutfics, newest to oldest [NSFW]:

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#15 Post by Insomniac »

From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.