Thefinebros: REACT WORLD

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

Thefinebros: REACT WORLD

#1 Post by kiabugboy »

i rarely want to start a new topic about anything because i fear that at some point i would probably make myself look stupid/ignorant. but this is something I've had in the back of my mind for a while.
i'm sure many of you already knew about the fine brothers on youtube and the recent react world controversy they've gotten themselves into as well as how it sparked so many outrage everywhere on the internet.

i just want to hear your opinions on it.

i personally think that they deserved every criticism thrown at them. But at this point i just feel that people are disliking all of the finebros' videos and constantly commenting hateful stuffs towards them simply because it's what's trending right now. even after they took down all the trademarked words and apologized about it all of their recent videos that doesn't have anything to do with react world still gets hundreds of thousands of dislikes and the comments are full of people repeating the same insults, declaring that they're unsubbing, making fun of thefinebros' jewish ethnicity (or religion? i'm not sure)

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

Re: Thefinebros: REACT WORLD

#2 Post by Schrodinger »

I don't watch Fine Bros or React videos or anything like that. From the outside it looks like a couple of chuckleheads with inflated egos announced a program that would stifle individual creativity in favor of corporate greed. And then everything started to burn.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Zylver
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Zylver »

Well, if you paint a huge mark on yourself saying "here is the target", then don't get surprised you are being shot at. :roll:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#4 Post by Nuff »

Fine Bros can go [censored] themselves

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#5 Post by TinyVoices »

I actually have not heard anything about this yet. I used to watch a lot of their reaction videos, but not recently.

Certainly don't know what all of this is about, so I'll need to go hunting for information I suppose. Since there is no information in this entire thread. S:P Schro's vague post is the best I have to go off of at the moment... Come on you guys, this is barely a discussion here.

Edit:
Google searching gave... little information too. I guess this is just a hate trend, then.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#6 Post by Schrodinger »

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NK9KJo8apfE[/video]

About as succinct as it gets. The Fine Bros. tried to police a format they didn't own and later announced they would set up a network where they would license a format they didn't own to other Youtubers for a share of the profits. There was a huge backlash and they lost nearly a million subscribers over it. They've only just now started to recoup losses.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#7 Post by TinyVoices »

Schrodinger wrote:About as succinct as it gets. The Fine Bros. tried to police a format they didn't own and later announced they would set up a network where they would license a format they didn't own to other Youtubers for a share of the profits. There was a huge backlash and they lost nearly a million subscribers over it. They've only just now started to recoup losses.
Thank you, Schrodinger.

I guess there just isn't much to this situation, then. It seems idiotic to trademark this, and so people lashed out at them.

*shrug* Can't say I see a justification for the extreme hate, but okay.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#8 Post by Vintage »

Spoiler!
I can understand the confusion as well. When this was all happening, there seemed to be no clear explaination of what they were trying to do. I had to end up doing a little research to gets some answers. The only videos I've seen of theirs are the ones with Mark in them because....well, Mark.

These things are just what I've been able to understand from the situation, and might not be entirely correct because of all the hatemongering that went on at the time.

With that in mind, what Butterscotch said in the other thread is true. It does seem like they actually tried to copyright the term "react", and had also held trademarks on some of the other "series" that they do, including things like Elders React, Teens React, ...etc. What started the conflict appeared to be a new program that TheFineBrothers launched called "React World" that they say was supposed to allow creators to use the TheFineBrothers' name (essentially like franchising) and resources to produce reaction videos. The problems that everyone saw immediately were things like these:

1. TheFineBrothers didn't create reaction videos and therefore had no authority to try and copyright them.
2. Reaction videos are mostly an abstract idea; not something you can own or "steal" from someone else. A related story is when they openly criticized Ellen Degenerous for stealing their react "format" for use on her show without first crediting them.
3. They eventually claimed they wanted to protect their reaction video format, but many didn't even see a format at all because of #2.
4. Many other people saw this as an opportunity for them to control a market that should be open to everyone, thus allowing only TheFineBrothers to have the decision-making power over these types of videos.
5. Other YouTubers were getting numerous copyright strikes as a result of their new program, even for simply having the word "react" in the name, which certainly made a lot of people angry.
6. They openly criticized (in a video now removed) that the people who didn't join their program shouldn't even bother trying to create reaction videos in the first place.
7. Someone eventually uncovered information about deleted YouTube accounts that was active right up until the point where TheFineBrothers started making videos. These accounts apparently produced reaction videos as well, but were allegedly run out of business, so to speak, by the TheFineBrothers after claiming they stole content from them, despite being a new channel at the time.

Someone with more references, explanations and examples can be found here.

What eventually happened is that TheFineBrothers were essentially burned at the stake and lost around 339,455 subscribers, which pressured them to remove all of their trademarks and trademark requests, which they did.
Short Version: They tried to copyright a concept that they couldn't and didn't have the right to own. They didn't seem to factor in that they were going to take out all the little fish with their new program, claimed things weren't happening that actually were, then essentially said it was all within the interest of smaller YouTubers who would want a better chance at producing reaction videos, when in reality everyone saw it as a greedy, money-grabbing and opportunistic move. What eventually happened is that TheFineBrothers were essentially burned at the stake and lost around 339,455 subscribers, which pressured them to remove all of their trademarks and trademark requests, which they did.

As for my opinion on the situation? It was a very, very dumb move on their part. However, to me it didn't really seem like they were doing this intentionally, rather that they were just being amazingly stupid and didn't consider the other angles React World could've been looked at. But that still doesn't mean they're innocent. Their "business practices" still include things like publicly criticizing other content creators with no justifiable reasons, allegations of shutting other people down and unwarrented copyright strikes, which are very scummy things to do. In the end, I think all the backlash and subscriber loss is reasonable considering how YouTube is already amazingly strict in terms of copyright infringement and revenue earning.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#9 Post by Bellhead »

Okay, now I get it. This is almost related to Monsanto, in a way.

Monsanto genetically modified a strain of corn, and through the supreme court, patented it. With that patent, on a plant that reproduces on its own, they go around and sue farmers at will who's crops contain Monsanto plants for re-planting seeds, whether they did or not.

So TheFineBros decided to try to copyright a type of video. That'd be like... what? Copyrighting the 'debate'? Or the 'business meeting'? There is absolutely no way this could be seen as a good thing. And based on what has been said before me, they deserved every speck of hate they got. Maybe not for this singular event alone, but with their history, this would push anyone that was on the fence over the edge.

I know I'll certainly never look them up, that's for sure.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Zylver
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Zylver »

Bellhead wrote:So TheFineBros decided to try to copyright a type of video. That'd be like... what? Copyrighting the 'debate'? Or the 'business meeting'? There is absolutely no way this could be seen as a good thing. And based on what has been said before me, they deserved every speck of hate they got. Maybe not for this singular event alone, but with their history, this would push anyone that was on the fence over the edge.
Ahh you just reminded me of something! :D

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J2gPlnqqKxQ[/video]

At least the British meant it as a funny advertising... :roll:

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#11 Post by Nuff »

This guys got it

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHSn-PaaZFY[/video]