Where Do You Place On The Political Compass?

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Where did you place?

Authoritarian Left (Extreme)
No votes
Authoritarian Left (Balanced)
No votes
Authoritarian Right (Extreme)
No votes
Authoritarian Right (Balanced)
No votes
Libertarian Left (Extreme)
14%
Libertarian Left (Balanced)
68%
Libertarian Right (Extreme)
No votes
Libertarian Right (Balanced)
18%

Total votes: 22

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Where Do You Place On The Political Compass?

#16 Post by TinyVoices »

As an experiment, I tried to be as extreme as I could imagine some individuals could be on the internet. Still had some trouble, because certain questions could go either extreme, depending on what fanatic you were talking to. Not to mention, again, the questions can be interpreted vaguely.

The results showed some extremism, but not as much as I expected. I answered Strong for all questions. I think the full 10,10 wasn't achieved simply because I might have contradicted certain answers without realizing it.
Spoiler!

midnightblink
Council Member

#17 Post by midnightblink »

TinyVoices wrote:As an experiment, I tried to be as extreme as I could imagine some individuals could be on the internet. Still had some trouble, because certain questions could go either extreme, depending on what fanatic you were talking to. Not to mention, again, the questions can be interpreted vaguely.

The results showed some extremism, but not as much as I expected. I answered Strong for all questions. I think the full 10,10 wasn't achieved simply because I might have contradicted certain answers without realizing it.]
That's funny, you're "extremism" is almost in the exact opposite place as I am. I guess I'm a bleeding heart communist :mrgreen:

I tried a similar experiment, and I got a little more extreme result
Spoiler!
Primum Non Nocere

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#18 Post by Insomniac »

Spoiler!
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

ReBob
Council Member

#19 Post by ReBob »

I no longer feel safe. I've also noticed, in a lot of communities I end up frequenting, I tend to not match up politically and I end up being the odd man out. As such, I typically stay silent and this is just a rare exception. Hope I don't regret it.

I'll note that a lack of neutral options and maybe some social pressure on my views may have skewed my results from my actual beliefs, but that is the ballpark I view myself in.

I'm open for discussion, seeing as I'm the grey goose, but please be gentle. I like this place.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

musicgeek
Apprentice

#20 Post by musicgeek »

ReBob wrote:snip
Not in the green square? EEEEEEEEEVIIIIIIIIL!
But seriously dude, you don't have to apologise for having political views that differ to everyone else's. It'd be boring if this place was an echo chamber in terms of political opinion, there'd be no point in having political discussions if everyone believed the same.
We're all mature people capable of having a civilised debate about politics. At least I hope so.
oh god what do i put here

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by TheMouse »

Well, my chart looked like somni's. Not surprising, really.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#22 Post by TinyVoices »

TheMouse wrote:Well, my chart looked like somni's. Not surprising, really.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWTFG3J1CP8[/video]
ReBob wrote:I no longer feel safe. I've also noticed, in a lot of communities I end up frequenting, I tend to not match up politically and I end up being the odd man out. As such, I typically stay silent and this is just a rare exception. Hope I don't regret it.

I'll note that a lack of neutral options and maybe some social pressure on my views may have skewed my results from my actual beliefs, but that is the ballpark I view myself in.

I'm open for discussion, seeing as I'm the grey goose, but please be gentle. I like this place.
I mean, yeah, we should like some variety and whatnot.

Which questions are generally pushing you toward the right? Since you're still about as Libertarian as others here, that isn't really the "issue". My understanding of the right is that "right-wing libertarianism (sometimes known as libertarian conservatism or conservative libertarianism) supports a decentralized economy based on economic freedom, and holds property rights, free markets and free trade to be the most important kinds of freedom." At least in the economic sense of it all.

But I don't fully know where you stand on things, so I just can't discuss anything with you. So, care to clarify?

Zylver
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Zylver »

You are a: Left-Leaning Anti-Government Interventionist Bleeding-Heart Liberal
Collectivism score: 33%
Authoritarianism score: -17%
Internationalism score: 33%
Tribalism score: -83%
Liberalism score: 17%
At least that's what I got a long ago :roll:

EDIT1: Yeah yeah, I realised that there is a questionnaire at the beginning of the thread :D Doing it right now, but there are so many items on that list that I could argue about and put some of them on the edge of Disagree/Agree line :?

EDIT2: Yep, just as I expected :roll:
Your Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -1.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.03

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

TheMouse
Templar GrandMaster

#24 Post by TheMouse »

TinyVoices wrote:History of Russia?
Um... what? I'm not sure if get your point.
_____
Submission is not weakness.
It takes a far stronger will to submit with grace and dignity than to pretend to be strong.
Unknown wrote:Live your life in such a way that the Westboro Baptist Church will picket your funeral.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by TinyVoices »

TheMouse wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:History of Russia the USSR?
Um... what? I'm not sure if get your point.
TheMouse wrote:Well, my chart looked like somni's. Not surprising, really.
Insomniac wrote:I'm a firm believer in "From each according to his abilities, to each according to his needs".
He quoted Marx. (Well, yes, the quiz also quotes Marx, and maybe Insomniac isn't 1 to 1 with Marxism/etc, but the principle idea here is that he agrees with the phrase, and you agree with Insomniac.)

I was just pulling a funny.

ReBob
Council Member

#26 Post by ReBob »

SperoWolf wrote:It's sad that people who believe against gay marriage (or the less-topical right-ideologies that everyone else pretends to care about less) are labeled and discriminated against after simply stating their beliefs. Honestly, I'd be interested in hearing the ways you swing right and the reason, if you felt comfortable doing so. I understand if that's not the case
This is why I usually stay silent around those I'm not more close to. I don't think gay marriage is something that should be forced upon a populace because all it does is cause friction. I'm not even against homosexual relationships, but I believe more in a separation of marriage from being a legal contract in regards to how property laws and more are handled by the state. It causes unnecessary friction and impedes upon religious freedom. Replacing one form of racism and bigotry with a more morally justifiable racism and bigotry doesn't actually solve the problem.

I'm not quite sure how to go about my views of economics, that's a generally complicated issue for a lot of reasons.
TinyVoices wrote: Which questions are generally pushing you toward the right? Since you're still about as Libertarian as others here, that isn't really the "issue". My understanding of the right is that "right-wing libertarianism (sometimes known as libertarian conservatism or conservative libertarianism) supports a decentralized economy based on economic freedom, and holds property rights, free markets and free trade to be the most important kinds of freedom." At least in the economic sense of it all.

But I don't fully know where you stand on things, so I just can't discuss anything with you. So, care to clarify?
I'm a supporter of property rights and free markets, but I'm not sure how I feel about free trade. That's mostly because of some of the shady deals like the TPP, I guess.

Specifically, I don't know what pushes me to the right as far as this is concerned. The ideas appeal to me. If I was fired up I may be motivated to go into details of my own volition, but I spent my energy not too long ago while watching the coverage of the primaries with my family. I'm pretty unreliable like that. Sorry.

I was being a little jokey with saying "I don't feel safe now" and such, but it does have some legitimacy. I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel like I'm painting a target on myself for anything I might say against the politically correct atmosphere we tend to live in. I temper myself in my online interactions so that I usually avoid political statements for the reasons stated in my first post. I would not be surprised if even my response to Spero, which I think isn't that ridiculous or extreme, to get me labeled as intolerant or hateful. Even if it isn't said here.

I should probably stop talking before I open up too much and say something I'll really regret. May have happened already. >.>
Image Image
Image Image

ReBob
Council Member

#27 Post by ReBob »

SperoWolf wrote: I see, so in essence, you believe that marriage (as a legal contract) is a less practical means of intimate matrimony, and presented in its form due to religious establishment? And seeing marriage as a wholly religious creation, you feel it infringes on religion by [censored] it in the eyes of the traditionalists? Ergo: "Gay people are fine, but marriage is only the legal way it is because of Abrahamic religion, so gay marriage should be conducted differently for both their lives' betterment and to avoid tension"?
My issue is more in lines with I don't think marriage should even be a part of the legal system for determining anything other than "this is my life partner under this religious thing for personal reasons with no concerns the state need be bothered about", and should instead be replaced in that aspect with a legal contract. Ergo, "I'm married to this woman but this legal contract with benefits the same as marriage today can be between my BFF Brian and me", for a throw-away example. Maybe multiple beneficiaries, who knows?

This would leave marriage in the "life partner" category, and out of the hands of government and the state and directly in the hands of those it affects the most. Those who view marriage as an important institution socially and in terms of building a family. Or those who just want to have a word to throw on their relationship. Whatever the case may be.
I think the issues with this stance is that marriage is both a symbol and something that presents major financial benefits. The majority of peoples, religious or not, undergo the same forms of matrimony; so to a gay person (who likely does not see marriage for what defined it at its roots) such would come across poorly. Marriage (to the public) is a symbol of "I love you and want to spend my life with you", and anyone outside of an Abrahamic religion (and many within them) likely doesn't even think of it in a religious way. And not being able to marry loses insurance and tax benefits that can be very helpful. If the issue is that you believe marriage should be a different way in a general, non-religious sense, then the issue should be to push a new, optional form of matrimony rather than saying that LGBT should simply be excluded because the system isn't made to suit them. And, what about the MANY religious members of LGBT? The vast majority of the world is Abrahamic, as are many LGBT individuals, so shouldn't they have the religious freedom to marry?
I recognize the status of marriage as a symbol. I disagree with the concept of being beholden to a symbol for social standing. I clarified the money-related things above.

My parents have been together for 26 years and haven't been married. They'll probably be together until the very end. I don't think marriage is really that important in the end. If a local church and its flock have no issue, then I don't see an issue. Forcing an institution to back off of one of their beliefs due to political and social pressure from those outside of their usual community sphere of influence really hits me the wrong way. I'm not a fan of forcing people to compromise their views because of pressure of any sort.

This is a complicated issue, I won't deny it, and it's full of hypocritical brick walls so it's hard to find your way through without breaking something. I probably did in my last paragraph, but I can try to defend in more depth if you'd like.
Also, I don't understand how allowing gay marriage is racism and bigotry (I actually don't see how racism plays into any of it, in all honesty)
That was more of a general statement on a wide array of beliefs and stances. Wasn't speaking only of marriage with that, sorry for the confusion.
As for the last bit, we're plotting your assassination as you speak. Long live the illuminunu
I expect quality work, I'll be scoring based on performance.
Image Image
Image Image

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#28 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

ReBob wrote:Libertarian Right
Looks like you ended up around where I thought I'd end up. The only reason I bring this up is because I failed to mention where I thought I'd end up in my original post. Fear of being targeted for differing opinions was another reason, but IIRC I've pulled [censored] like this before.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

foxlord
Elder foxy

#29 Post by foxlord »

Your Political Compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.77

Exactly what I thought I'd get.
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

Razmoudah
Merchant

#30 Post by Razmoudah »

First off, my chart:

I'm both surprised and not surprised to get a Left -2.63 Libertarian -1.79. I'm surprised because I thought my answers balanced out more, I'm not surprised because of a lack of a "Firm Neutral" answer. Roughly half to two-thirds of the questions where I didn't "Strongly" Agree/Disagree my correct answer is a mix of both Agree and Disagree, and I had less than ten "Strongly" answers. I could probably re-take it, swapping roughly half of my non-"Strongly" answers, and end up much more centered while still answering truthfully. Yes, the primary reason for the lack of a "Neutral" answer is to prevent someone from copping out and not taking a stance/view on something, but there is such a thing as a "Firm Neutral" where you actually have a strong and definite stance/view that just happens to be neither Agree nor Disagree, and sadly that's where I sit on a lot of things. My alignment chart from the I Side With quiz would put me less than two points left of dead center, and I feel that one pegged me far more accurately because of my multitude of "Firm Neutral" stances and views.

Now, as for ReBob and Spero's conversation regarding Gay Marriage.........how about a secondary term here guys? Let's use the term Civil Union for the legal (and thus state related) benefits/constrictions of marriage and leave the term Marriage to be used exclusively for the religious side of things? I'm fairly certain that half of the confusion in their discussion is coming from the fact that ReBob is using the term Marriage for both sides, instead of using a secondary term (I should probably point out that the secondary term Civil Union does already exist, and serve the role I am giving it, in many States of the United States of America). Now, if I am understanding ReBob's position correctly I would say that I am in rather high agreement with him. Take the State out of Marriage, requiring a different type of document, such as a Civil Union, to be filed to get the legal benefits currently associated with Marriage instead. Leave the term Marriage for religious ceremonies and purposes, as not all religions are anti-Gay Marriage, and have the power to issue a Marriage License be in the hands of churches, and require that it have all of the information needed to expedite the processing of a Civil Union to ease said filing for those who get a Marriage. Yes, not everyone would agree with it, but our founding fathers did originally express an ideal for the Separation of Church and State, and I view letting the State get involved in a predominantly religious matter like Marriage violates that ideal.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage