USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you want to be president of the United States in the 2016 elections?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Donald Trump of the Republican Party
25%
Hillary Clinton of the Democratic Party
25%
Jill Stein of the Green Party
25%
Gary Johnson of the Liberation Party
25%

Total votes: 20

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

#346 Post by Akira110 »

Glad to know that everyone is freaking out about incompetent buffoon winning the presidency when if you took a look at wikileaks, the alternative you were trying to be scared towards, by the Democrats themselves, is a corrupt warhawk who literally was salivating at the thought of a war with Russia.

Do you HONESTLY believe that Trump would last five weeks in the presidency? Both chambers of congress hates him because he's not an insider. The supreme court doesn't like him because he's not an insider and Mike Pence has no power in the position that he's currently in. Their goal is going to be to get Pence into office.

I was wrong about my prediction that Hillary would win. I'll admit that. I was correct about just about everything else in the General. I will put money down on the fact that congress is going to try to get Trump impeached so that Pence can be their guy in office.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Vintage
Certified Fool
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#347 Post by Vintage »

I'm scared for what's going to happen. I started crying when they announced the winner. Call me weak, but I'm not going to hide the truth.
Image Image
*pssst* Want'a see what happens when I attempt art? (Avatar made by WoofSenpai & NowandLater)

Diabolicon
Citizen

#348 Post by Diabolicon »

Freaking out isn't going to do any good. We'll just have to see what happens. Hope for the best prepare for the worst I suppose. What worries me isn't that Trump won, it's that the more..virulent... sections of his supporters aren't gonna like it when they get it through their heads that at the end of the day Trump's gonna HAVE to actually work with the Democrats to actually DO anything and have it not called into question every step of the way.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#349 Post by Akira110 »

Diabolicon wrote:Freaking out isn't going to do any good. We'll just have to see what happens. Hope for the best prepare for the worst I suppose. What worries me isn't that Trump won, it's that the more..virulent... sections of his supporters aren't gonna like it when they get it through their heads that at the end of the day Trump's gonna HAVE to actually work with the Democrats to actually DO anything and have it not called into question every step of the way.
No, he's going to have to work with the political establishment in order to get anything done. Problem is, the establishment of both parties hates Trump.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Phaing
Master

#350 Post by Phaing »

Vintage wrote:I'm scared for what's going to happen. I started crying when they announced the winner. Call me weak, but I'm not going to hide the truth.
Diabolicon wrote:...What worries me isn't that Trump won, it's that the more..virulent... sections of his supporters aren't gonna like it when they get it through their heads that at the end of the day Trump's gonna HAVE to actually work with the Democrats to actually DO anything and have it not called into question every step of the way.
Oh will you guys just STOP it?
Don't freak, that's what they other side did when Obama got in, and did the world collapse?
Don't fall for the lunacy on Facebook and the damn TV. They just make noise to get ratings, how accurate were all those Polls, eh?

Akira110 wrote: No, he's going to have to work with the political establishment in order to get anything done. Problem is, the establishment of both parties hates Trump.
The Establishment has to face that fact that we hate them, and for good reason.
Hillary wasn't the only one that is breaking the law constantly and so corrupt that a Roman Senator or a Medieval Pope would have a stroke seeing everything they are trying to get away with today.
"Drain the Swamp" is what Trump has been saying... now would be a lousy time to start wailing about Mosquito Rights.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

Akira110
Literary Artist

#351 Post by Akira110 »

Hillary is going to win the popular vote, while Trump has a near landslide in the electoral college.

http://www.politico.com/2016-election/r ... /president

Michigan and Arizona are safe for him and gives him 27 more electoral votes, giving him 296 to Hillary's 232. Meaning despite losing the popular vote, he wins in a near landslide and I didn't even think this was possible.

midnightblink
Council Member

#352 Post by midnightblink »

Akira110 wrote:Hillary is going to win the popular vote, while Trump has a near landslide in the electoral college.

Michigan and Arizona are safe for him and gives him 27 more electoral votes, giving him 296 to Hillary's 232. Meaning despite losing the popular vote, he wins in a near landslide and I didn't even think this was possible.
Are you serious? This is why the electoral college should have been abolished over a century ago. This is the SECOND TIME this has happened in my short, 19 year life and it is unacceptable no matter what party you are or which you thought was the lesser evil. This honestly has me so [censored] fumed right now
Primum Non Nocere

Akira110
Literary Artist

#353 Post by Akira110 »

midnightblink wrote:
Akira110 wrote:Hillary is going to win the popular vote, while Trump has a near landslide in the electoral college.

Are you serious? This is why the electoral college should have been abolished over a century ago. This is the SECOND TIME this has happened in my short, 19 year life and it is unacceptable no matter what party you are or which you thought was the lesser evil. This honestly has me so [censored] fumed right now
I honestly agree that the Electoral College is an antiquated system that needs to be an abolished.

eccitric
Traveler

#354 Post by eccitric »

Touted policies aside, what I'm most concerned about is the personality and feel of this new president. We're basically going from school science fair to school pep rally. Those were agonizing in high school, and I don't look forward to dealing with 4 more years of it.
psychoanalyses for everyone!

Bellhead
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith and Natani

#355 Post by Bellhead »

Hillary won the popular vote, while Trump won the electoral college.

If not for FrogSteak's post in the smile thread, I would.. not be doing well.

Part of me thinks he won't have the traction to actually DO anything, but part of me knows that he can also stop things from getting done at all. The next four years will be horrible either way.
Gearhead mechanic in the digital era, who will probably grow up is in the process of growing up to be a very grumpy old man.

Diabolicon
Citizen

#356 Post by Diabolicon »

Phaing wrote:
Diabolicon wrote:...What worries me isn't that Trump won, it's that the more..virulent... sections of his supporters aren't gonna like it when they get it through their heads that at the end of the day Trump's gonna HAVE to actually work with the Democrats to actually DO anything and have it not called into question every step of the way.
Oh will you guys just STOP it?
Don't freak, that's what they other side did when Obama got in, and did the world collapse?
Don't fall for the lunacy on Facebook and the damn TV. They just make noise to get ratings, how accurate were all those Polls, eh?
I'm not freaking out, I'm pointing out that many of Trump rallys and speeches, and many of the people who have been running around screaming "Killary" and such for the past year were basically replays of the Tea Baggers in 2010, and how those same people started screaming bloody murder when the "new bloods" they supported turned out not to be able to do a damn thing (Mainly because first term congressmen have pretty much no power over any damn thing to start with). It's just what happens when you have a campaign (on both sides) that's based almost exclusively on propaganda and blind obedience to an ideology rather than engaging their collective cerebral cortex.

TheFrozenSlime
Templar

#357 Post by TheFrozenSlime »

Y'know, I'm not going to say who I wanted to win (I tend to keep my views to myself), but I will relay a soapbox my Economics/History teacher gave today (as best I can remember, I'll at least try to hit the highlights):
First off, I'm not going to say who I voted for; if there's one thing I learned from my years teaching in public schools is that you don't discuss religion or politics. I was thoroughly disgusted by the rhetoric coming from both campaigns this election season. I can't remember there being this vicious of a campaign since the election of 1828. Maybe your guy won, maybe your gal lost, but one thing you've got to keep in mind is that no matter if you're black, white, straight, gay, wealthy, poor, republican or democrat, we're all American, above that we're all human, we are all citizens of this planet. This election is not the end of the world. One of the most amazing things about American democracy has always been the peaceful transition of power. You all should remember the Revolution of 1800; John Adams voluntarily gave up the presidency to Jefferson. It was the first time the party in power lost an election and willingly gave up that power. Adams could've called in the military, but he respected the decision, as have all presidents since. There will be a peaceful transition of power. Like it or not, he will still be our president, and all anyone can really do is wish him the best. No matter what happens the next four years, America will survive. If we could survive 1861 - 1865, we can survive anything.
It's not verbatim by any means, and there may be stuff in there from other soapboxes, but that's the main gist of it.
/╲/\╭( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)╮/\╱\ <------- This is my attack spider. Don't mess with it.
Procrastinator Extraordinaire and Connoisseur of Fine Distractions,
Self-Proclaimed

midnightblink
Council Member

#358 Post by midnightblink »

I am so [censored] tired of debating Trump supporters on the electoral college. It's funny how many republicans elevate their party and this country as the "defenders of democracy", but when a truly undemocratic system gives them the result they want, it doesn't matter what the majority wants. when I point things out like how individual Californians have 3 times less power in the electoral college than less densely populated states, one person said "good, californians are only worth 1/3 of a normal person". And they always give the same points, such as "California has 55 electoral votes, and that's not fair", even though that's SUPPOSE to be proportional to population (which, as I stated, it isn't), and so I ask them "so you think a state with half as many people should have the same power as a larger state, giving the residence of the smaller state twice as much power?", and most of them dodge around the question in a way that implies YES. I don't understand why people care so much about individual states. A person elected to govern the whole country should be elected by the country as a whole, not as separate states, the senate and house are suppose to represent individual states in the federal government.

EDIT: Also, one guy says we should be thankful because the electoral college "saved us" from the "uneducated masses swayed by corporate media", but that's basically saying "people that don't agree with me are stupid, and stupid people shouldn't get to vote", and I'm sorry to use this cliche, but that is literally fascism.
Primum Non Nocere

Phaing
Master

#359 Post by Phaing »

Diabolicon wrote: I'm not freaking out, I'm pointing out that many of Trump rallys and speeches, and many of the people who have been running around screaming "Killary" and such for the past year were basically replays of the Tea Baggers in 2010,
Whoa... you are complaining about name-calling, and then engaging in it yourself in the very same sentence.
... maybe it is too soon for this.
Diabolicon wrote: It's just what happens when you have a campaign (on both sides) that's based almost exclusively on propaganda and blind obedience to an ideology rather than engaging their collective cerebral cortex.
Okay, first of all, by cerebral cortex is my own. It does not belong to any Collective.

And I'll tell you why Trump is a good thing from my POV;
Remember 2 years ago,, when it looked inevitable that it would be a Bush/Clinton race, and what a dreary proposition that was? Just sickening, and so mandated from on-high as if there was nothing that us little guys could do about it.
And then along came Trump, and the only people more upset about that than Megyn Kelly were all the Big Shots in the Republican Party itself. It was a rebellion against the "good ol' Boy" network, and somehow it succeeded. Our votes still count for something, it would seem.
How many people were really sure of that before this happened?
After what happened to Bernie, I wasn't so sure myself.

The GOP was doing all they could to back-stab him every chance they got, what does that tell you?
It tells me that Trump isn't willing to go along with the same old power-brokers, the same old dirty inside deals and the same old crap that gave us one wishy-washy hollow man after another.
TheFrozenSlime wrote:Y'know, I'm not going to say who I wanted to win (I tend to keep my views to myself), but I will relay a soapbox my Economics/History teacher gave today (as best I can remember, I'll at least try to hit the highlights):
First off, I'm not going to say who I voted for; if there's one thing I learned from my years teaching in public schools is that you don't discuss religion or politics. I was thoroughly disgusted by the rhetoric coming from both campaigns this election season. I can't remember there being this vicious of a campaign since the election of 1828. Maybe your guy won, maybe your gal lost, but one thing you've got to keep in mind is that no matter if you're black, white, straight, gay, wealthy, poor, republican or democrat, we're all American, above that we're all human, we are all citizens of this planet. This election is not the end of the world. One of the most amazing things about American democracy has always been the peaceful transition of power. You all should remember the Revolution of 1800; John Adams voluntarily gave up the presidency to Jefferson. It was the first time the party in power lost an election and willingly gave up that power. Adams could've called in the military, but he respected the decision, as have all presidents since. There will be a peaceful transition of power. Like it or not, he will still be our president, and all anyone can really do is wish him the best. No matter what happens the next four years, America will survive. If we could survive 1861 - 1865, we can survive anything.
It's not verbatim by any means, and there may be stuff in there from other soapboxes, but that's the main gist of it.
Wonderful, brilliant post!
I hope everyone gets a chance to read it.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#360 Post by anonfox123 »

I don't often post about political things, and I'll freely admit that I'm not the most well informed about many of the issues. I'm also optimistic to a fault, so...

[censored] all this negativity and doom-saying. I get it, Trump has been saying a whole lot of [censored] [censored] this whole campaign, and some very ugly facts came to light in this race. I also get that the electoral college is stupid as [censored], and that Trump isn't "the president that America actually wanted". (And yet the popular vote put Hillary in the lead by only one percent.)

It's easy to blame something like this on the Other Guy, the supposed racist, sexist, whatever-ist. Mocking them as backwards [censored] who want to undo the progress of the "civilized people". But, FrozenSlime's teacher hit it on the head. At the end of the day, we're all Americans, and we have to realize that 47% of us did want Trump in office, for reasons both good and bad.

I've talked to a someone who supported Trump because she, as a legal immigrant, was sick and tired of seeing so much concessions and sympathy extended to people who got in illegally, jumping the line and skipping ahead of those who had the integrity to honestly wait their turn. And yet that support turned to panic after finding out his goal of overturning Roe Vs Wade. I've seen an extremely intelligent graduate student expound at length how he feels that Trump might be able to keep China in check. He had done his homework, and all everyone else could say was that Trump is an [censored], Trump is a bigot, etc, etc. In more polite terms of course, but in the end it was still the complete shut-down of an opinion they didn't like. (Though I still think that guy took too many statements at face-value and focused shortsightedly on one issue.)

The point is, there can be a lot more going on behind a Trump vote other than "[censored] black people, [censored] go to hell, get back in the kitchen woman" or whatever the hell other caricature people are so willing to put in place of an actual person casting their vote. We need to acknowledge the fact that if nothing else, 47% of the population felt so ignored and enraged that they felt that flipping the table would be better than voting in a career politician who would likely ignore them yet again.

The 48% who wanted to win has to talk to the 47% that did win, and truly be willing to find out why they voted the way they did. The ones who voted out of hate for one group or another, screw those guys. They could have voted for anyone willing to pander to their small-minded views. But those who voted because they had a real problem and felt that a Trump presidency could solve it? We need to become aware of those issues, and work to solve them without throwing anyone under the bus.

As a democratic nation, we must not forget that it is We The People who make this nation what it is. There's a lot of other stuff out there to vote on, so get cracking on that folks! Maybe some cynics here will laugh and want to spit on my optimism, but I still hope and believe that we can make America great (again?) by being stronger together.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!