USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Who do you want to be president of the United States in the 2016 elections?

Poll ended at Tue Nov 08, 2016 11:12 pm

Donald Trump of the Republican Party
25%
Hillary Clinton of the Democratic Party
25%
Jill Stein of the Green Party
25%
Gary Johnson of the Liberation Party
25%

Total votes: 20

Akira110
Literary Artist

Re: USA Presidental Campaingn 2016

#361 Post by Akira110 »

Hillary supporters on social media are determined to flip the electoral college. Now if the election was close, it'd be one thing. Donald Trump is going to have 306 electors. To Hillary's 232. Then you have to factor in the 2 that are refusing to vote for Clinton and the one that is refusing to vote for Trump, so let's just say for sake of argument, it's 308 to 231.

Do these people even realize exactly what kind of mass upheaval that changing a landslide victory like this would bring. Do they even realize exactly what kind of [censored] just this mere action would bring? It'd be a madhouse!
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#362 Post by anonfox123 »

Akira110 wrote:Hillary supporters on social media are determined to flip the electoral college. Now if the election was close, it'd be one thing. Donald Trump is going to have 306 electors. To Hillary's 232. Then you have to factor in the 2 that are refusing to vote for Clinton and the one that is refusing to vote for Trump, so let's just say for sake of argument, it's 308 to 231.

Do these people even realize exactly what kind of mass upheaval that changing a landslide victory like this would bring. Do they even realize exactly what kind of [censored] just this mere action would bring? It'd be a madhouse!
And people were mocking Trump for saying he'd contest the results if he lost...
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#363 Post by SirJahar »

I run into the problem that the only trump supporters I know are the actual bigots who are the problem or just want to call me a small-minded idiot for not voting for the guy.
And Akira, considering the massive turmoil the ellected is calling for, I fail to see a problem in overturning a system that is based on the gov not trusting the people for all future ellections amd being stuck with this mess.

midnightblink
Council Member

#364 Post by midnightblink »

Akira110 wrote:Hillary supporters on social media are determined to flip the electoral college. Now if the election was close, it'd be one thing. Donald Trump is going to have 306 electors. To Hillary's 232. Then you have to factor in the 2 that are refusing to vote for Clinton and the one that is refusing to vote for Trump, so let's just say for sake of argument, it's 308 to 231.

The problem isn't that he has so much more electoral votes, it's that he he actually lost the popular vote, so the MAJORITY of people in this country voted for Clinton, most people are just upset about that. I, personally, would be fine with a Trump presidency if he had actually won the popular vote. The electoral college is a broken system that should have been abolished over a century ago, and that is what people are angry about, not that he won, but that he won unjustly.
Primum Non Nocere

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#365 Post by anonfox123 »

The popular vote was 48% Hillary, 47% Trump. And as I pointed out in a previous post, you just can't generalize that big of a segment of the population and/or disregard them.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

midnightblink
Council Member

#366 Post by midnightblink »

anonfox123 wrote:The popular vote was 48% Hillary, 47% Trump. And as I pointed out in a previous post, you just can't generalize that big of a segment of the population and/or disregard them.
So it's okay to just disregard the 48%? This is not an "everyone wins" situation, this is a win/lose competition, and I thought that the winner was suppose to be chosen based off the amount of the population that wants them. I understand where the other side is coming from, I hate Clinton myself, but the thing I find UNACCEPTABLE is that the other side can't admit that they won based on a system that basically randomly distributes individual voting power based on things like population, voter turnout, and whether the government decided to give a state more or less electoral votes recently.
Primum Non Nocere

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#367 Post by SirJahar »

anonfox123 wrote:The popular vote was 48% Hillary, 47% Trump. And as I pointed out in a previous post, you just can't generalize that big of a segment of the population and/or disregard them.
And my point is that I literally can't find an intelligent person willing to talk to me about why they voted for him. I have not me anyone who can say what about his speeches besides the hate and slogans that they liked.
Oh, one of them said "the wall will create jobs."

midnightblink
Council Member

#368 Post by midnightblink »

SirJahar wrote:
And my point is that I literally can't find an intelligent person willing to talk to me about why they voted for him. I have not me anyone who can say what about his speeches besides the hate and slogans that they liked.
Oh, one of them said "the wall will create jobs."
Some people liked that he wanted a more amicable relationship with Russia. A lot of people want more strict immigration laws, but also knew the wall was bogus. Some think he'll know how to balance the deficit, being a business man. Some want Obama Care repealed, as they see it as just another tax. There's also the defunding of Planned Parenthood. A lot of different reasons, none that I agree with though
Primum Non Nocere

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#369 Post by SirJahar »

Immigration needs to be reformed, yes, but more guns and guards and invasive "show us your papers" laws will NOT help.
Pro-lifers can go get stuffed already.
He's shown he can't run a business. Several times. Trump U. is just the most recent big public example.

midnightblink
Council Member

#370 Post by midnightblink »

SirJahar wrote:Immigration needs to be reformed, yes, but more guns and guards and invasive "show us your papers" laws will NOT help.
Pro-lifers can go get stuffed already.
He's shown he can't run a business. Several times. Trump U. is just the most recent big public example.
Yes, I agree with all of those, but other people don't, and that's the problem (for instance, a lot of people who say he's a good businessman say he has a "96% success rate" or something like that, when comparing businesses that didn't go bankrupt with those that did), along with the fact that many, of not most people on either side live in echo chambers where they never discuss their views, just get them reinforced
Primum Non Nocere

Diabolicon
Citizen

#371 Post by Diabolicon »

I apologize Phaing. I fear I've let my own personal/family issues get the better of me. I've just had to listen to everybody else in my family basically blame all the world's ills on Obama and say that anyone who didn't vote for whoever the Republicans put out was a (deleted)(deleted)(Deleted) and should be lined up in front of a wall with all the (deleted), (deleted), and (deleted) and hung for over 4 years.

Akira110
Literary Artist

#372 Post by Akira110 »

midnightblink wrote:

The problem isn't that he has so much more electoral votes, it's that he he actually lost the popular vote, so the MAJORITY of people in this country voted for Clinton, most people are just upset about that. I, personally, would be fine with a Trump presidency if he had actually won the popular vote. The electoral college is a broken system that should have been abolished over a century ago, and that is what people are angry about, not that he won, but that he won unjustly.
By law, he is our president-elect. The fact that I believe the electoral college should be abolished is irrelevant in this particular election, Blue. This happened, Bush did the same thing. The country right now is expecting Trump to get in and if he doesn't, this will cause an upheaval. I mean I don't like Trump, nor do I like Clinton, but I know that you don't have someone win the election by our laws and then say, "We're taking that win from you." without causing some sort of issue.

UPDATE!!! CNN is calling that Trump IS the projected winner of the Popular vote when the whole thing is said and done. http://www.cnn.com/election/results
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

midnightblink
Council Member

#373 Post by midnightblink »

Akira110 wrote:By law, he is our president-elect. The fact that I believe the electoral college should be abolished is irrelevant in this particular election, Blue. This happened, Bush did the same thing. The country right now is expecting Trump to get in and if he doesn't, this will cause an upheaval. I mean I don't like Trump, nor do I like Clinton, but I know that you don't have someone win the election by our laws and then say, "We're taking that win from you." without causing some sort of issue.

UPDATE!!! CNN is calling that Trump IS the projected winner of the Popular vote when the whole thing is said and done. http://www.cnn.com/election/results
Nope, Hillary's lead has actually gotten bigger, for 200k last night, to 300k

As I said before, I would be fine with a Trump presidency if everyone ADMITTED he got in because of a broken system, and abolished that system, but people aren't. Every Trump voter that I've talked to has DEFENDED the electoral college, saying IT'S NOT BROKEN. That's what upsets me
Primum Non Nocere

Phaing
Master

#374 Post by Phaing »

Diabolicon wrote:I apologize Phaing. I fear I've let my own personal/family issues get the better of me....
Happens to the best of us, and thanks for saying so.
anonfox123 wrote: And people were mocking Trump for saying he'd contest the results if he lost...
Funny how quickly the other shoe can drop, ain't it?
But all these violent protests and traffic-blocking lunacy ain't gonna help anything... and I guess it isn't supposed to do anything but make everything worse.
I wonder how much it would cost to put a Cow-Catcher on the front of my car...
SirJahar wrote:I run into the problem that the only trump supporters I know are the actual bigots who are the problem or just want to call me a small-minded idiot for not voting for the guy...
Um, hello?
From the poll above, it was even-up but I'm the only one willing to say why I liked Trump, and I thought I did a pretty good job on the last page.
If you can't accept that, fine, but could you find another way to express it instead of all the Censored words and insults?

Look, I know the Electoral system looks weird, but it was designed to cauterize corruption, plain and simple. Thousands of Dead People voting in Chicago can throw the result in Illinois, but not for the whole nation. It evens it out, gives the whole country a voice that can't be tampered with too much.

And if you want to change it, or fight Voter Fraud, the time is NOW.
Don't wait, don't wander away, do something about it before the next damn circus starts, because then it is too late.
"If you’re going to tell people the truth, you'd better make them laugh; otherwise, they will kill you."

-George Bernard Shaw

SirJahar
Grand Templar

#375 Post by SirJahar »

Sorry. I missed your post. I had been staying away from this threaf because by and large I try to avoid politics.
I'll go read it now.
EDIT: ah, the "He's no-one's puppet" thing.
EDIT 2: And I have done what I can. I voted, I have emailed my representatives, and I have signed petitions.