Star Wars Episode 7

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

Star Wars Episode 7

#1 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

I am surprised, shocked even, to find that not a single soul has sprung up and claimed a spot on this board to talk about the newly upcoming movie Star Wars Episode 7, which featured its trailer that everyone is talking about. Already, after the release of J.J. Abram's trailer of the upcoming movie, there are controversial arguments over the aesthetics and design and universes that were previously expanded.

Here is the trailer for all those who have yet to here about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

There is very little to go on, but there is much that has been discussed.

Also, that flamesaber that the end.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

Re: Star Wars Episode 7

#2 Post by Insomniac »

Geo_&_Bio wrote:I am surprised, shocked even, to find that not a single soul has sprung up and claimed a spot on this board to talk about the newly upcoming movie Star Wars Episode 7, which featured its trailer that everyone is talking about. Already, after the release of J.J. Abram's trailer of the upcoming movie, there are controversial arguments over the aesthetics and design and universes that were previously expanded.

Here is the trailer for all those who have yet to here about it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOVFvcNfvE

There is very little to go on, but there is much that has been discussed.

Also, that flamesaber that the end.
Likely not a flamesaber, probably just an unstable crystal or something, but I'm guessing that's what you meant. Interesting variant on the Crossguard Lightsaber design, and I for one like it, though it'd be better if the emitters for the small blades were flush with the hilt instead of being extended out and vulnerable like that. More dangerous, sure, but less likely to get them chopped off.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#3 Post by Schrodinger »

You mean something like this Insomniac?
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Zylver
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Zylver »

A challenger appears!

So, yeah, I have seen a lot of trailer-based memes around the internet, especially about that new lightsaber design... I don't know what to say, but I laughed out a bit loud when I first saw it :D
Other than that, the teaser trailer doesn't show much about the film, other than it will be quite spectacular :? I hope they won't screw it up, but being the expanded universe is thrown out of the window, I'm not sure what to expect :| So there is really no chance at all to see, for example Kyle Katarn in the film? :(

Of the four elements, air, earth, water, and fire, man stole only one from the gods.
Fire.
And with it, man forged his will upon the world.
- Anonymus

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#5 Post by Sable Dove »

Not much to go on at the moment. Personally, I'm most curious as to the identity of the guy in the first scene wearing the Stormtrooper gear. Clearly not a clone. Who is he, and why is he wearing Stormtrooper gear? And who do the STs even work for now? I'll admit, I've not seen the original trilogy in ages, and I know little of the material outside of the main movies.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.
http://www.furaffinity.net/user/ivory-raven/
http://www.tumblr.com/blog/sable-sonata

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

Actually, since the clones were given accellerated aging and were prone to rebellion, the Empire did start phasing in non-clone recruits (the best of whom they cloned) at around the time of the Original Trilogy. I know EU has been demoted in favour of this new story, but J. J. Abrams knows a lot about Star Wars. I wouldn't be surprised if this guy was a non-clone recruit. And if that isn't the case, maybe he's in disguise?

I think it's gonna be a good film.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Tuna
tunatunatunatuna

#7 Post by Tuna »

If his last name isn't Calrissian, I'll be shocked :wink:

...and multi-blade lightsabres mean that, to use them safely, the wielder would have to keep their wrists very stiff, which would seriously impact the weapon's use. I mean, look at how every other lightsabre user wields theirs - it's almost *exclusively* wrist action, spinning them like a baton. I guess what I'm saying is, that this new sabre isn't an impossibility, but one would definitely need to use it in a completely unique manner.

Could be interesting to see what they come up with :kathrin:

Akira110
Literary Artist

#8 Post by Akira110 »

Tuna wrote:...and multi-blade lightsabres mean that, to use them safely, the wielder would have to keep their wrists very stiff,
First of all. Technically it's not a blade. Second of all... the [censored] that they do in the other movies with the spinning your blade around and flourishing, would get you killed fast. Third of all, have you ever used a sword!? A sword is effectively most useful when you use your wrist. It's a style of finesse, not power. If you look at the other movies, when they're not flourishing, they're using power type strikes, which AGAIN would get you killed. The only saving grace is that their blade has Zero weight, which means they can recover faster. And finally, if you hit your own wrist guard or yourself with your wrist guard, you are doing something fundamentally wrong to begin with.
Been around this forum for over 8 years now. Everyone I've known has left, now it's my time to do the same.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#9 Post by Sable Dove »

This is all assuming, too, that he can't just... turn off the guard blades. And on again.
And so it was that Godhead Pickle Inspector created the universe. He regarded His creation with fondness and saw that it was good.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#10 Post by Schrodinger »

Sable Dove wrote:This is all assuming, too, that he can't just... turn off the guard blades. And on again.
All signs point to yes.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#11 Post by Insomniac »

I think I weighed in on this already, but I feel like saying it again...While I don't have a problem with a lightsaber like this, the design of this particular one is kinda flawed. For the side blades of a crossguard saber (I know a crossguard saber is a completely different design, with only one offshoot blade at an acute angle rather than two at right angles, but this kind of saber is what I think of when I say or read or see crossguard, so.) to be most effective, the blades should come up flush with the hilt, rather than the emitters jutting out from the side of the hilt as seen in the trailer. The way it is...It'd be all too easy to just slice them off, unless the hilt is made with cortosis or something.

tl;dr, I like crossguard hilts, as long as they're not as fundamentally flawed as this.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Geo_&_Bio
Grand Templar

#12 Post by Geo_&_Bio »

Insomniac wrote:I think I weighed in on this already, but I feel like saying it again...While I don't have a problem with a lightsaber like this, the design of this particular one is kinda flawed. For the side blades of a crossguard saber (I know a crossguard saber is a completely different design, with only one offshoot blade at an acute angle rather than two at right angles, but this kind of saber is what I think of when I say or read or see crossguard, so.) to be most effective, the blades should come up flush with the hilt, rather than the emitters jutting out from the side of the hilt as seen in the trailer. The way it is...It'd be all too easy to just slice them off, unless the hilt is made with cortosis or something.

tl;dr, I like crossguard hilts, as long as they're not as fundamentally flawed as this.
It all depends how the blade comes out in the canon universe, like pic related.

While I can agree that there is a flaw, I will disagree that it is a fundamental flaw. Having some form of crossguards is better than having nothing at all. I'd say that it might be an issue if one had the ability to slide his or her blade downwards, but the canon never truly established that question because dramatic effect. However, I do believe that the EU makes the hilt out of some form saber resistant substance.
The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#13 Post by Insomniac »

Geo_&_Bio wrote:
Insomniac wrote:I think I weighed in on this already, but I feel like saying it again...While I don't have a problem with a lightsaber like this, the design of this particular one is kinda flawed. For the side blades of a crossguard saber (I know a crossguard saber is a completely different design, with only one offshoot blade at an acute angle rather than two at right angles, but this kind of saber is what I think of when I say or read or see crossguard, so.) to be most effective, the blades should come up flush with the hilt, rather than the emitters jutting out from the side of the hilt as seen in the trailer. The way it is...It'd be all too easy to just slice them off, unless the hilt is made with cortosis or something.

While I can agree that there is a flaw, I will disagree that it is a fundamental flaw. Having some form of crossguards is better than having nothing at all. I'd say that it might be an issue if one had the ability to slide his or her blade downwards, but the canon never truly established that question because dramatic effect. However, I do believe that the EU makes the hilt out of some form saber resistant substance.
Only some jedi/sith made their hilts with cortosis or other saber resistant substances. Peeps gettin' their sabers cut all the time.

InceptionBwaaa
Grand Templar

#14 Post by InceptionBwaaa »

Insomniac wrote:
Geo_&_Bio wrote:

Only some jedi/sith made their hilts with cortosis or other saber resistant substances. Peeps gettin' their sabers cut all the time.
Well, Mandalorian iron can be cut, but it takes a few chops with a lightsaber. The hilts of almost all lightsabers are made of this stuff. Other lightsabers are about the only things that can break em.
Certified Jojo fan
"She's a keeper!" ~Firekeeper
Stardust Crusaders banner coming soon.
Zelda x Palutena is the one true ship.

Sable Dove
Pocket Androgyne

#15 Post by Sable Dove »

Also, if they manage to slide their blade down enough to hit the guard, if you had no guard, you'd be losing your fingers anyways, so at worst, the guard offers no additional protection. But it can still be used offensively, and presumably can be used against weapons that themselves are saber-resistant, while not actually being lightsabers.