RWBY, Rooster Teeth's new thing

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

RWBY, Rooster Teeth's new thing

#1 Post by Insomniac »

From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

Re: RWBY, Rooster Teeth's new thing

#2 Post by anonfox123 »

Darn, and here I was planning to start one once it actually premiered...

My worry is that this will get buried until the next trailer, then the next, then finally the series itself. Oh well.

So some speculation on the other two's weapons is that Black has a whip, while Yellow/gold has dual revolvers/flintlocks. Pure guessing based on the silhouettes, but it doesn't seem unreasonable, especially for Black.

And maybe I'm weird, but I have some fan-characters/inversions thought up already:
Rust: A reddish-brown werewolf. He's not a snarling beowolf, but a more civilized creature from a more civilized age. Uses the Brute Shot
Alabaster: A long-dead knight who placed his soul in a powerful suit of pure white armor, to better serve his kingdom as well as cheat death. Uses a BFS (Big-[censored]-Sword) and [insert cool idea here]

I'll probably think of more inversion characters later, once the other trailers are here.
Ice-cold science-fantasy space-ninja operative!

MrFlyingAmoeba
Grand Templar

#3 Post by MrFlyingAmoeba »

For some reason, I wasn't a huge fan of the White trailer. The animation style didn't feel as smooth as Red, well, at least her face.
Red Mage Statscoski wrote:That is not how we do things around here, buddy. First we have to argue incessantly over semantics.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#4 Post by anonfox123 »

Eh, faces are hard to do right. And it wasn't like Ruby was singing or anything like that. The fighting and sound quality seemed to be quite a step up though. You just gotta wonder what kind of story is behind all this stuff in the trailers, though...

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#5 Post by Sage Asuka »

Admittedly I didn't like the White trailer as much as the Red, but that's probably because Monty's 'thing' seems to be well coordinated fight scenes and this one was sliiiiightly deviating from it with the singing and mirror. Like...Red was flat out what I think of with Monty's work. White was tamer, trying to introduce some story elements.
Image Image Image Image

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#6 Post by Insomniac »

I like how the song from Red mentions all four colors at the start. And I like that White is some rainbow battle-mage. And I cannot WAIT to see what "Black the beast" will bring us when she "descends from shadow", or just how hot the beauty of Yellow will burn. And what's the significance of Gold? Face it, Asuka dear, Red's trailer was dripping with story teasers, even more than White's.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#7 Post by Sage Asuka »

In song, yes. But visually the most we got for the story was Ruby walking away from a grave. The rest was wolves stalking her then a fight. White had more visual story cues.
Image Image Image Image

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#8 Post by anonfox123 »

Another thing about the songs though:

Red's song seemed to give small snippets about each of the characters, while still kinda applying to her self/the situation.
Red: It's her color.
White: Cold, snowy environment, perhaps Ruby is there for some kind of mission
Black: Could refer to both the beowolves or to the upcoming character
Gold: Another upcoming character reference, and let's face it: when Ruby isn't kicking a ton of [censored] she's probably got all the boys chasing her :P

White's song, however, seems to focus more on just herself. The way that she's the "loneliest" could reflect some feeling of isolation. (Perhaps coming from being a sheltered royal when not fighting huge suits of armor? No opportunities to make friends?)

Then there's the way she's scared of whatever is in the "mirror". "Why won't you let me hide from me." Seems to suggest that there's a relation between her and the main antagonist, or maybe there's a darker side of her we're not seeing...

And oh, Asuka, I would never have thought you followed the RT crew. Or did RWBY pull you in? (Just curious, heh... :D~ )

Random though: Any name for Weiss's sword/rapier yet? Or should we just stick with the Rainbow Rapier (RR) for now?

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#9 Post by Sage Asuka »

Oh, I don't follow the RT crew at all. But I followed Montyoum on deviantArt because of his animation skills and this is his own project so I'm curious : > The visual animation is definitely a far cry from what he was doing with Final Dead Fantasy. Fight wise...he's excellent with fighting coordination.
Image Image Image Image

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#10 Post by anonfox123 »

Oh I see. I saw Monty's Haloid vid a while back, before I even knew about RT, but I wound up watching it and moving on. (I got roped in to the RT scene from RvB, wound up watching more of their stuff. May I recommend the Animated Adventures?)

So, anyone have any comments on my song-based speculation, or am I just looking like a fool stating the obvious over here? S:P

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

#11 Post by Sage Asuka »

Well black trailer is up. I like the character designs, but I have to say this one is my least favorite and a tad bit of a turn off. Parts of the animation (like in the hair) seemed off to me and the voice acting was a bit distracting as it came off kinda flat.
Image Image Image Image

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#12 Post by Schrodinger »

The red haired guy reminded me far too much of DmC Vergil and Sam from Metal Gear Rising, and yeah the voice acting was really distracting.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#13 Post by Insomniac »

Not much I can say for this one, other than I really want this thing to happen already. Can't wait for the Yellow trailer.

anonfox123
Grand Templar

#14 Post by anonfox123 »

Quick comments on the enemies: werewolves and golems and robots, oh my!

In all seriousness though, I did pick up on the embroidered rose on Mr. Mask's shirt, coupled with the rose-petal disintegration of the crab-like robot. Seems like the effects of the Cresent Rose aren't so unique anymore. Also, that crab-mech sounded pretty organic when it first appeared. Probably not much behind it, but still.

Seems like Blake's SMG/pistol has that ribbon around the trigger, not to mention the recoil effect here makes the blade part more of a maneuverable boomerang. Interesting. Also interesting, but not as much, is Maskman's shot-sword. My only problem in this aspect is that I couldn't really get a good look at their weapons. We got a pretty good idea about the Crescent Rose, Weiss's sword wasn't too hard to figure out, but these weapons? I'm still trying to figure them out...

Also, the snowflakes on the boxes seem to link the cargo with Weiss, or at least her faction. Looks like the girls won't be allies (immediately) after all. I can't help but wonder if these bots were developed before or after Weiss's encounter with the huge armor-golem thing.

Come to think of it, does Blake even have a faction, or is she a rouge thief/merc? A rebel perhaps? Sure raises a lot of questions, doesn't it?

And I thought RT's black-clad females hated goodbyes?

But yeah, that voice acting made my cringe. Blake sounded alright, but her companion was just... Jeese, even Ray would to a better job of it. Hell, I could do a better job of it, maybe...
(And speaking of Ray, he needs a themesong. Something along the lines of... Ray Likes Roses?)

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#15 Post by Insomniac »

anonfox123 wrote: (And speaking of Ray, he needs a themesong. Something along the lines of... Ray Likes Roses?)
Oooooooh. That was good and bad at the same time. I think Aze would be proud.