Obama's performance as the President

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Obama's performance as the President

#46 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Kinuki wrote: That's the result if you can only decide between bad and [censored].
Which, in my opinion, has been the choice for the past three elections. :|
But I'm convinced that I'll probably never be satisfied with a candidate, anyways. It really is asking too much, for them to appeal to a good percentage of the population. Popular vote's been hanging around 50% for ages now. Hell, Bush didn't even win the popular vote. But I'm not one to get hugely into politics. Maybe I'm just hugely critical of politicians in general. Either way, it doesn't matter if someone really did get that landslide victory. We'd still find something to complain about.

Luca Fox
Grand Templar

#47 Post by Luca Fox »

This might be the best place for this..
PITTSBURGH—Citing three years of exhausting partisan politics, constant gridlock in Congress, and an overall feeling that the entire nation has "completely lost it," President Barack Obama openly asked a campaign-rally crowd Tuesday why he'd want to serve another term as president of "this godforsaken country."

"My fellow Americans, I come to you today to ask, why?" Obama said to 1,200 people gathered inside a gymnasium at Taylor Allderdice High School. "Why can't our congressional leaders work together to create jobs? Why can't Wall Street ever be held accountable? And most important, why on God's green earth would I voluntarily subject myself to this nonsense for another four years?"

"I'm dead serious," the president continued, saying that any reasonable person would have walked away the moment the Senate minority leader announced his main priority—above creating jobs and improving American health care—was to make Obama a one-term president. "I'm asking if anybody out there can come up with even one reason why I'd want to endure this unmitigated [censored] show for another minute, let alone through 2016. What's in it for me, ex­actly? Can anyone answer that? Anyone at all?"

After a long silence during which crowd members mostly just shuffled their feet and stared at the ground, Obama said, "Yeah, that's what I thought."

Arguing he'd have to be certifiably insane or some kind of sadistic freak to extend his presidency, Obama asked why anyone with half a brain would willingly open himself up to constant vilification by media strategists, or place himself in a situation that involves so much work for such little reward. He also asked the audience how "messed up and sick" he'd have to be to devote nearly a decade of his life to an unending cycle of political gamesmanship that stifles progress at every turn.

At one point during the 40-minute address, Obama wondered aloud if anyone could blame him for wanting to avoid another four years of idiotic questions about his birth certificate, racist immigration laws, Eric Cantor, citizens who know in their hearts the country must switch to renewable energy but simply refuse to do so, the South, antigay bigotry, and "just all of it, really."

"Today this nation faces difficult questions," Obama said. "For one, how bad must it have gotten for a politician to gladly—gladly—give up the most sought-after elected position in the world? And also, of all the people listening to me right now, is there even one of you who would honestly want to trade places with me? There isn't, is there? And I don't blame you."

In the coming weeks, Obama will reportedly continue to take his anti-second-term message across the country, asking ordinary Americans if they agree that his being on the ballot in November would make him a complete and total moron. Sources within the president's new "One Goddamn Reason" campaign confirmed he is genuinely curious to see if one American citizen can tell him why leaving the White House isn't the best thing he could possibly do for himself and his family.

"I have a pen and some paper right here," Obama said Wednesday morning at a town hall meeting in Ohio. "Let's list the pros and cons of being president. Con: There are people out there who literally want to shoot you dead. Con: We live in a country seriously considering a Newt Gingrich White House. Con: You can help 40 million Americans receive health care, sign legislation that regulates a financial system run amok, give the order to kill Osama bin Laden, help topple Muammar Qaddafi's tyrannical regime without losing the life of one American soldier, end the war in Iraq, repeal Don't Ask, Don't Tell, stave off a second Great Depression, take out more than 30 top al- Qaeda leaders, and somehow everyone still calls you the next Jimmy Carter."

"Can anyone out there name a pro?" continued Obama, gesturing at the silent crowd with his pen. "That's okay. I asked a bunch of people in Pittsburgh the same exact question yesterday, and they couldn't, either."

While many Beltway observers questioned Obama's new strategy, saying the president could hurt his chances of serving a second term by saying he doesn't want to serve a second term, others argued Obama seems to have finally rediscovered his voice.

"Whenever I watch him on the stump asking a crowd, 'Why am I [censored] here right now?' or saying things like, 'I think I'd rather die than do this job again,' he's so fiery and passionate I'm reminded of the 2007 Obama," Democratic strategist Karen Finney said. "The one who thought he could make a difference before a broken, nonsensical political system and an insane populace robbed him of his humanity, ripped out his heart, and left him for dead.
http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama- ... wan,26933/

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#48 Post by Kinuki »

At least he's honest. That elevates him above most Presidents. Hell, above all recent ones.
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Luca Fox
Grand Templar

#49 Post by Luca Fox »

Yeah. Honest.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#50 Post by Insomniac »

And then I saw the onion link under the quote, and died laughing. I can agree though, I wouldn't voluntarily take his place.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#51 Post by Kinuki »

Luca Fox wrote:Yeah. Honest.
This said, Dubya has catched up in the honesty department after he publicly confessed Iraq was all about oil. God, I love that site. I wonder how they found out Chuck Norris is going to personally carry out the execution?

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#52 Post by Ryusen »

I fell for it hook, line, and sinker. I'm not sure if it's because it was well written, or because it was partly (mostly?) true. Either way, kudos to the onion for another great article.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#53 Post by FurryForlife »

I got to the point where profanity entered then I realized it was bull [censored]. That said, I loved the article. It made me laugh so hard.
Story: To be Inspired.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#54 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

I like my history teacher's stance; the worst people to judge a president are his contemporaries. Polk is a perfect example.
Imagine if, within ten years, NYC fell under nuclear attack from terrorists. Not necessarily Al Qaeda, not even necessarily radical Islam. Just any damn fool with a grudge. You could probably take your pick.
Bush's administration would be looked at in an entirely different light.
(Inb4 Kinuki says NO SHUT UP YOUR BRAIN IS WIRED TO HATE ME)

So I'll refrain on my opinion of Obama for now.
Granted, his health care plan is not going to cover our family's medical bills, but is going to increase our tax rate from 32% to 61%. So I would be akin to a blood-traitor if I re-elected him.
VERY, GOOD

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#55 Post by Kinuki »

New developments. Let me highlight the chief points:
Huffington Post wrote:The surplus -- the first of Barack Obama’s presidency -- was the result of both increased tax collection and lower government spending.

Obama's wish list includes a number of proposals that he has outlined previously but have failed to gain traction in Congress. They include eliminating tax incentives for companies that ship jobs overseas and promoting new tax credits for small businesses and for companies to develop clean energy.
Market Watch wrote:CBO estimated that receipts were $30 billion higher in April than the same month a year ago, due to declining refunds that month and higher corporate income tax receipts. Spending fell by $69 billion compared to April 2011, marked by lower outlays on defense, Medicaid and the Postal Service.
Jesus H. Christ, it's almost like productivity happens if you don't purposefully obstruct everything the President tries. And increasing taxes / reducing refunds helped to provide thirty billion extra? Without the entire nation collapsing immediately? It's like the "KILL BUSINESS!" rhetoric was just that: Rhetoric.

Fun game: What's $30 billion USD times 36? I seem to think... yes, reduced refunds and increased taxes could theoretically have provided some one trillion USD over the course of three years. Evidently these proposals - which, again, have been having trouble getting passed through Congress - were nothing but bad news. Or, alternatively, "See? Obama's terrible because he didn't have the power to overcome a Congressional cock-block. Let's not blame the cock-blocking persons, but the guy who people would apparently rather tank the global economy before listening to."

AlfaWskyDlta
Templar GrandMaster

#56 Post by AlfaWskyDlta »

Kinuki wrote:*snip*
You win the logic game! :mrgreen:

In all seriousness the legislative branch is a joke nowadays. Since when did internet piracy and the position of pizza on the food pyramid become more important than our nation's crumbling economy?
Fuzzle wrote:Alfaw...Alfydiys...A...Hard to remember name guy

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#57 Post by FurryForlife »

Kinuki wrote:Win
Now if only the rest of the world could digest this.
My Sofurry account (I believe unless you log in, or change it, the site is in SFW mode)

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

#58 Post by Silver Seren »

Of course, at this point, in a decision between Obama and Romney, i'm Obama all the way. Romney's economic stance and the plan that he's more or less outlined is scary. If you want the US to go bankrupt, then don't look any farther than Romney's economic policy.

Not to mention the hypocrisy of Romney criticizing Obama for number of jobs created. It's just sad.

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#59 Post by TinyVoices »

If Obama is reelected, I hope he does stop beating around the bush about things. The deadlock didn't exist for his entire presidency, and he's been more of a "friendly" president, than a productive one. He reassured people, he used the last State of the Union as a campaign speech, showing his 4 years compared to the previous 8, and he's tried to get us out and away from things, with mixed results.

I feel like I'm almost betraying my family for not being Democratic, I even tried to hide it from them, but I just don't like Obama. If you ignore the hype, he wasn't very good.

I know every president can only do so much, but then I can't even tell if the data we have is sufficient evidence towards any solid conclusion. :|

FurryForlife
Hugger Extraordinaire

#60 Post by FurryForlife »

TinyVoices wrote:If Obama is reelected, I hope he does stop beating around the bush about things. The deadlock didn't exist for his entire presidency, and he's been more of a "friendly" president, than a productive one. He reassured people, he used the last State of the Union as a campaign speech, showing his 4 years compared to the previous 8, and he's tried to get us out and away from things, with mixed results.

I feel like I'm almost betraying my family for not being Democratic, I even tried to hide it from them, but I just don't like Obama. If you ignore the hype, he wasn't very good.

I know every president can only do so much, but then I can't even tell if the data we have is sufficient evidence towards any solid conclusion. :|
... Really? He cock blocked and the vast majority of what he wanted to do. Most of which takes quite some time to get through the house and the congress, and when it does... well very few things are instant gratification when it comes to governmental policies. It'll take years for the effects to really show from what ever someone puts in place. Unfortunately most the American populous doesn't realize this and gets angry at the presidents, or in Bush's case, not angry. It took a few years for Bush's policies to start showing how bad they were, hence he managed to get a second term in.