Obama's performance as the President

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

The Gray
Banned
Banned

Re: Obama's performance as the President

#31 Post by The Gray »

No disrespect, ma'am, but you didn't really explain anything.

I don't want to insult or harass you in any form or shape, but simultaneously I'm not a person that likes to beat around the bush, so I will speak my mind openly. You only practice ultimately empty Obama bashing that boils down to "He's to blame for all of America's problems."

I you would be so kind as to re-read my above post, you would find that I didn't speak of magic or "before Bush finished taking the presidential oath", I spoke the language of facts and figures. I spoke of a demonstrably bloated military budget to finance questionable military actions in the Iraq, gobbling up any surplus wealth back in the U.S. and eventually frittered away there because it couldn't help the soldiers to win the guerrilla war after the war or save their lives?

Speaking of deleterious tactics:
Wynni wrote:There have been bad economic decisions all along. THe biggest problem being that the government wants to do more and more that ordinary citizens OUGHT to be able to do for themselves.

There is a faction in the government that, i swear to you, if they could mandate how to wipe after using the potty, they'd find a way to set up an agency for that.
You know who else shares ultimately unsubstantiated fears of an EVIL centralized, intrusive government?

The Objectivists and the Teabaggers.

Exactly, the same guys that celebrated America's financial crises and act racist against their frikkin President just because he's black.

Their twisted beliefs that a Minarchist American together with a Laissez-faire economy (businessmen can do as they please without nearly any legal restrictions) would solve all problems (new and old alike) is exemplary nonsense.

As one can see by looking at recent events heavily deregulated businessmen don't lead to an improvement, the lead to near collapse. Heavy deregulation as propagated by right-wing elements leads to businesses that sell junk packages right and left like Lehman Brothers and consequently wreck not only the U.S., but the global economy.

And you know who gave LB and others plenty of scope, i.e. issued many deregulation laws?

The Bush administration.

Another question that I have to ask as a rational being is why you still support an administration that almost entirely consisted of business friends from the oil industry and that presented faked evidence of WMDs before the frikkin UN and a baloney correlation between Bin Laden and Hussein to justify the invasion of Iraq in what many independent sources now consider a gambit to take control of oil and gas resources and entirely motivated by greed than an obligation to protect the American populace from their enemies?

To put it bluntly, now it is more urgent than ever before to put aside one's personal ideology and work together to solve America's problems. Bad-mouthing the other side only to gain more power will deteriorate things. It's either stopping blaming now or watch powerlessly how the USA will suffer the same fate as the Soviet Union.
It's the Big Shrander, Charlie Brown.

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#32 Post by Windwaker »

Gorramn it's always refreshing to see an intelligent and articulate newbie.

I just wanna point out though, that deregulation could theoretically work if it were absolute in nature and preexisting externalities/conditions were removed. That's functionally impossible, though, so your point still stands.

Anyway, just because stupid people are associated with an idea does not make the idea in and of itself stupid. :kathrin:
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

avwolf
Templar Inner Circle

#33 Post by avwolf »

The Gray wrote:
avwolf wrote:It's true that Obama inherited the problems that I tend to think are largely responsible for the current economic situation in the US, but Bush wasn't responsible for most of them either, they largely predated his presidency too.
Not to step on your toes, but I don't think you can generalize that so strongly. Didn't the U.S. under the Clinton administration enjoy historical record-high surpluses and record-low poverty rates, but also the longest economic expansion in history; the lowest unemployment since the early 1970s; and the lowest poverty rates for single mothers, black Americans, and the aged? And all that after the preceding Bush administration let the middle class heavily suffer?
Oh, I can generalize pretty widely. Presidents inherit most of the economy, and an individual President's policies often have far-reaching consequences that are not immediately apparent. On top of that, culture and spending behaviors don't necessarily rely on the President's policies to drive the economy. I tend to view the housing crisis, which led directly to the credit crunch, as being the foremost cause of the economic adjustment we're seeing here. Bush inherited sub-prime lending, and the Democrats generally opposed examining the massive organizations responsible for malfeasance. Bush didn't operate with his own party controlling Congress for most of his Presidency the way Obama has. In fact, a great deal of the criticism President Bush received from Republican registered voters during his tenure was that he acted in too bipartisan a manner and compromised on too many policies. *shrug* It's true, Bush spent a lot of the surplus in stimulus funds, but if we're going to criticize Presidents for that, at least Bush had a surplus to spend. And being an across the board stimulus, it's not like he was counting on trickle-down to drive the economy, he was counting on consumer spending, the thing that drives our economy, to drive our economy more. Unfortunately, culture and policy had already been trending toward a borrowing-happy consumer culture that simply wasn't sustainable. I'm pretty sure that goes far beyond any single President.

The criticism Obama has faced isn't so much that he caused the economic downturn, it's that he doesn't seem to care very much. His personal focus (what little there is, because he rarely suggests bills to Congress) tends to be on policies that increase spending (something the American people are currently nervous about) rather than on decreasing spending or focusing on job creation (which polls have, time and time again, wished the President would bother commenting about). The stimulus was a nice try on his part. It didn't work, and he should have quit trying to sell it to people after it was clear that it wasn't helping the way he claimed it would, and the content of the stimulus package was pretty "pork"-laden (though that should be considered a criticism of the American government in general and not the President or his administration in particular), but it's hard to personally criticize Obama for that. His focus on the Healthcare bill tends to get criticism, because, at the time, Americans didn't give a damn, it only looks like it's going to cost us money, and, most damning of all, "we need to pass it before we can see what's in it." (Old news, I know, but we're debating George Bush, Sr., Clinton, and George W., so it's not the oldest news to mention.) Since it has become law, more and more sections have come out which are...unattractive and/or unnecessary. It steams my cheese in particular because it's going to be forcing Americans to purchase health insurance at a time when many, many Americans are in less of a position to be capable of purchasing it. (And this is coming from a Nebraskan, where unemployment rose so high, it'd be considered a healthy national average in a year of economic growth, and our public power utilities are the poster children of how government regulated industry can be better than private industry answers. Seriously, why nobody tried to compare government-sponsored health insurance to Nebraska's ultra-low cost public power utilities is a mystery to me.)
The Gray wrote:How the Obama administration should have been supposed to tidy up all this neglect defies me, especially since one would have to get past several senate subcommittees controlled by the opposition.
It would have been nice to see him try. Democrats have held majorities in both houses of Congress for his entire Presidency. He's had unfettered and unprecedented direct access to the American people. Even if bills were held up in committee, he could have taken one of his many, many addresses to make a case for the bill. Instead, he's rarely bothered to do anything but promise to change Bush policies and then never follow through, or make excuses as to why changing those policies just isn't possible at this time, even though he'd claimed it'd be a priority.
The Gray wrote:Exactly, the same guys that celebrated America's financial crises and act racist against their frikkin President just because he's black.
Like Windwaker said, an idiot with a sign (or even many idiots) does not necessarily mark the policies supported by the non-idiots around them as invalid or completely unworthy of consideration. If that were the case, Bush should have pretty much been able to do whatever he wanted unopposed, judging by the sheer number of stupid signs attesting that he was a Nazi in the pocket of the Jews and similar poorly articulated but incomprehensibly idiotic statements. The real Tea Party statements tend to be based on a desire for fiscal responsibility in the government, not an unreasonable thing to request. For that, they've been vilified more than the protestors of Bush's policies, to the point of having a derogatory, sexual slur nickname attached to them which the media incessantly parrots. That bothers me much more than the occasional birther, truther, or other idiot with a sign in any given political protest.
The Gray wrote:Another question that I have to ask as a rational being is why you still support an administration that almost entirely consisted of business friends from the oil industry and that presented faked evidence of WMDs before the frikkin UN and a baloney correlation between Bin Laden and Hussein to justify the invasion of Iraq in what many independent sources now consider a gambit to take control of oil and gas resources and entirely motivated by greed than an obligation to protect the American populace from their enemies?
Nonsense argument, Gray, I'm disappointed. Every intelligence agency in the world believed Iraq was in control of WMDs (including Iraq's own), it wasn't until after the boots hit the ground in the war that we learned the situation was different. And if this was a gambit to control oil and gas resources, it's a damn poor one, since we didn't manage any of that happening, now did we? Besides, Congress, which at the time was pretty bipartisan, authorized the use of military forces in Iraq for a laundry list of causes, most of which were casus belli dating from the Clinton administration. You are welcome to argue that you do not believe we were justified in our military action (though Congress disagreed), or that the military action was poorly managed, or that we "declared victory too early" (the ridiculous "Mission Accomplished" thing making that a pretty valid complaint), or that we didn't fight the right kind of war for the war we got involved in, but arguing that we were lied to or went into this blind is not a particularly defensible position. Might as well argue that Bush was an idiot, if you want to throw easily disproven political mud around. ;) Besides, at least Bush had the decency to request authorization from Congress, and receive it. President Obama's military actions in Libya lacked such authorization, making it more fitting the term "illegal war" than Iraq ever was. (Not that I personally disagree with the President sending military assets to Libya, I just wish he'd gotten Congress to give him the thumb's up first -- Presidents are well known for disliking that rule and generally pushing as hard as they can against it, but they do generally comply, if grudgingly).

If you'd like to criticize Bush for having an administration consisting of business friends, then it's entirely appropriate to criticize Obama for having an administration consisting of friends from Chicago's political machine. The fact of the matter is that, regardless of the supposed corruption of Bush's "cronies," it's Obama's that are actually being forced to resign after embarrassing scandals come to light. Bush's friends might have been oil barons, but in terms of people who reflect well on the President, he did a much better job of picking his friends than President Obama has thus far.

So why would a rational being support an administration consisting almost entirely of spendthrift political figures from one of the most corrupt political landscapes in America?

Really, it's easy -- we pick and choose the people who best suit our policies, even if they don't match our own personal policies precisely. Additionally, our own biases color our views: I for one find Obama impossible to listen to because his public speaking style offends me, for instance, which makes it harder for me to see the good in his policies. President Bush wasn't perfect, but I appreciated many of his policies, especially his foreign policy. And, maybe, in the end, I'd rather have "smaller government for rich people than bigger government for everybody." :P

-- Edit --
A bit off the topic of Obama specifically, but the Tea Parties' signage is particularly interesting because there's been honest attempts to "infiltrate" Tea Party events with offensive signs so that the media would see these offensive signs and attribute them to the actual Tea Party protesters. I'm not aware of that being a common counter-protest tactic for most previous political protests. The sign in question might well be real though -- the infiltrators that I've seen photos of didn't really get the point of infiltrating, and their signage was largely very obviously nonsensical or not part of the Tea Party agenda. It's still crazy, but it might be authentically crazy instead of fake crazy. But if you ever see a guy holding an upside-down sign that says, "This is a sign," just know that he isn't actually a Tea Party protester. ;)

Wynni
Forum Momma

#34 Post by Wynni »

A lot of the points I would have liked to make were more eloquently made by Avwolf. As to the rest of Gray's remarks, I'm not exactly sure how to answer them appropriately. To be honest, many of them came across rather insultingly. I EXPERIENCED, for myself the day we were told we had a surplus under CLinton, and then, before Bush was in office, we were being told we were in a deficit.

It is public record that ACORN took banks to court for not lending to all and sundry. It is public record that Obama worked for ACORN, also public record is that ACORN performed our latest census.

And why should I be so impressed with 'facts and data' as presented by Mr. Gray? I have performed my share of data collection, collation, and graphing. The old truism 'statistics don't lie, staticians do' is trebly true where politics are concerned, and I would think a gentleman as studied as Mr. Gray would be aware of that.

Now, how any of this is Obama bashing, someone please explain to me.
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

Marie August
Traveler

#35 Post by Marie August »

I don't think Obama has enough backbone. He spends too much time trying to be a nice guy, and negotiate with people who have no intention of negotiating with him. I will vote for him again, but I won't be as excited to do so as I was in the last election.
Read my webcomic, The Fox & The Firebird, at: http://www.fairytaletwisted.com

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster
Location: In the land of Mountains, lacs and hills. Where the rails meet, binding the knot.

#36 Post by Phantom »

The problem is sometimes people tend to look at the surface of the problem, and not go into the details, and look at the bigger picture. There will never be a president that is perfect, and that brings heaven and peace to earth. As Winston Churchill once said,

"The human story does not always unfold like a mathematical calculation on the principle that two and two make four. Sometimes in life they make five or minus three; and sometimes the blackboard topples down in the middle of the sum and leaves the class in disorder and the pedagogue with a black eye."

We must enjoy what we can, and endure when nescessary.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#37 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Trillions more into debt, economy not looking any better, still sending troops into 3rd-world nations for reasons that don't concern us.
Neeeext
VERY, GOOD

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#38 Post by Kinuki »

Nothing will change as long as we can choose just between the puppets of the mad and the sane billionaires.

What we need is to a) establish non-corrupted third parties as b) serious competition, c) forcibly expropriate the biggest Megabucks wielders with known political ties, d) put all other rich [censored] under heavy taxation and e) found a new, independent government department tasked with the protection of political transparency.

Everything less will [censored] us many times over.
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Windwaker

#39 Post by Windwaker »

Kinuki wrote:What we need is to a) establish non-corrupted third parties as b) serious competition, c) forcibly expropriate the biggest Megabucks wielders with known political ties, d) put all other rich [censored] under heavy taxation and e) found a new, independent government department tasked with the protection of political transparency.
Man, is there *anywhere* that does that? :|

Edit: I mean, any sort of precedent. That wasn't supposed to sound like me saying the idea is stupid.
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#40 Post by Kinuki »

Multi-party system and wealth taxes?

There are many historical and contemporary examples.

Windwaker

#41 Post by Windwaker »

Kinuki wrote:Multi-party system and wealth taxes?

There are many historical and contemporary examples.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. ;>.>

What I was trying to say (I made that last post braindead) is: Is there any precedent for such a dramatic transition of this nature going at least semi-smoothly?

I mean, yes, it sounds wonderful, but when you're discussing reforming something as entrenched as the US government, feasibility is definitely something worth taking into account.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#42 Post by Ryusen »

A good friend of my family is an Army Wife (so to speak). Her husband has been deployed for the last 12 months, and is finally coming home this week. We're all very happy for her, and they're going to have a fantastic Christmas .. before he gets deployed in February? Bwah?

I didn't know this. When you see, from these news outlets, that "We're Bringing the Troops Home", we're not really bringing the troops home. They're being relocated from the Iraq area, where they focus on building schools, hospitals, and roads (which is what her husband has mostly been doing), to Afghanistan, where they can focus on what it is soldiers do best. The government is certainly not about to keep all our troops safe, and certainly not about to unite them all with their families.

This reminds me of Bush's infamous Mission Accomplished speech. Welcome to Obama's version, conveniently in time for re-election.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Phantom
Templar GrandMaster
Location: In the land of Mountains, lacs and hills. Where the rails meet, binding the knot.

#43 Post by Phantom »

Well one thing to consider, a solider that does nothing costs money, an army costs money. With already quiet alot of problems, it would be more economical to send them somewhere to do something (I guess). Plus now there is the threat of what may happen with North Korea, depending on how things change around there politically.

SpikeRulesHell
Templar Inner Circle

#44 Post by SpikeRulesHell »

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#45 Post by Kinuki »

SpikeRulesHell wrote:388

http://www.obamacountdownwidget.com/
That's the result if you can only decide between bad and [censored].