Halo Legends

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Ignis_Solus
Grand Templar

Re: Halo Legends

#16 Post by Ignis_Solus »

Locke357 wrote:
Ignis_Solus wrote:My point is this, Great studios make great games, and then they make that same game over and over again, the universe and game play stagnates and nothing new is achieved.
I just wished they'd spend a little time innovating and trying new things.
O_o

. . . Lemme give you an overview of the series here

Halo CE: the original, one of the greatest shooters of all time on that generation of consoles, definitive for the aspect of multiplayer, with two player splitscreen co-op, four play splitscreen competitive, and 16 player system, with four guys per screen.

Halo 2: offered one of the best xbox live experiences for the original xbox, organized it's multiplayer into a categorized and ever-changing hub. Kept the offline multiplayer modes, and offered more versatility in custom games

Halo 3: introduced 4 player online co-op, with up to two players per xbox (I have yet to see this emulated in another game), introduced the ground-breaking functions of custom maps, more customizable gametypes, screenshots that upload to the net, and film clips to share with your friends.

Halo ODST: admittedly a weak point in the series, but regardless offered a more character-driven story, took the campaign in a different direction, offered a more free-form campaign, and had firefight (settle down Gears of War fanboys, it existed long before that)

Halo Reach looks like it's going to be not only offering a completely different style of gameplay in multiplayer (as evidenced by the MP trailer), and there has been a lot of talk of having more non-linear style campaign sorta in the style of the second level of Halo CE

. . . that's stagnant?
You missed out Halo *vomit* Wars

But i see your point, they have tried other things and its not quite stagnating yet.
I could stand Reach and one more, but then they definitely need to be creative.
But if halo wars was an attempt at something different, then bungie should stick to what they know O.o
ImageImage

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#17 Post by Holy_458 »

Ignis_Solus wrote:But if halo wars was an attempt at something different, then bungie should stick to what they know O.o
Personally, I would rather see a developer reach out and try to do different things. Even if they fail, at least they are reaching out and trying to see what can and can't work for it's games. That's a lot better then wallowing around in the successes of the past, just making the exact same game over and over again.
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

Locke357
Grand Templar

#18 Post by Locke357 »

Ignis_Solus wrote:You missed out Halo *vomit* Wars

But if halo wars was an attempt at something different, then bungie should stick to what they know O.o
uh . . .

Halo Wars wasn't made by Bungie, it was developed by Ensemble Studios. Microsoft owns the rights to the Halo Series (ever since they bought Bungie back in the late 90s), and while Halo Reach is almost certainly Bungie's last Halo game, Microsoft may very well get other developers to continue churning out Halo titles.

Ignis_Solus
Grand Templar

#19 Post by Ignis_Solus »

Holy_458 wrote:
Ignis_Solus wrote:But if halo wars was an attempt at something different, then bungie should stick to what they know O.o
Personally, I would rather see a developer reach out and try to do different things. Even if they fail, at least they are reaching out and trying to see what can and can't work for it's games. That's a lot better then wallowing around in the successes of the past, just making the exact same game over and over again.
Gahhh that was my original argument D:

But we must admit, Bungie must walk away from the RTS...
try an RPG or something...
ImageImage

Locke357
Grand Templar

#20 Post by Locke357 »

Bungie didn't make Halo Wars, -_- see my last post.

Ignis_Solus
Grand Templar

#21 Post by Ignis_Solus »

Locke357 wrote:Bungie didn't make Halo Wars, -_- see my last post.
Sorry but i suggest we stop now, we are VERY off topic :P
ImageImage

Locke357
Grand Templar

#22 Post by Locke357 »

Alright then, on-topic, Halo Legends.

I saw some previews for the thing, thought it looked okay, but to be honest I've never been huge into anime, and I've only delved into the Halo canon outside of the games once or twice. I might eventually look at it, but frankly I don't think the whole style of anime really suits the kind of story Halo tries to present, or at least the kind of anime that I saw in the trailers for it :| Just my 2¢ though, and in fairness I haven't watched an entire episode

Ignis_Solus
Grand Templar

#23 Post by Ignis_Solus »

Locke357 wrote:Alright then, on-topic, Halo Legends.

I saw some previews for the thing, thought it looked okay, but to be honest I've never been huge into anime, and I've only delved into the Halo canon outside of the games once or twice. I might eventually look at it, but frankly I don't think the whole style of anime really suits the kind of story Halo tries to present, or at least the kind of anime that I saw in the trailers for it :| Just my 2¢ though, and in fairness I haven't watched an entire episode

Gahhh! i love anime, but halo legends was a bit of a let down...

And i see where your coming from, it feels more like any halo based movie/series would need to be CGI like in all their cutscenes.
ImageImage

Drisk Kayne
Grand Templar

#24 Post by Drisk Kayne »

Oh super, this doesn't count as necro-posting.

Anyway, I would have given my own thoughts on this anthology before now, but Netflix decided that no, I did not deserve to see that particular movie before I'd waited my turn, a wait that ended up being over a month or so. Anyway, I finally got it in the mail today and have had a chance to watch all but the last two shorts. Since this is a collection of works by different groups, it doesn't seem fair to lump them all together into one opinion, so I think I'll just give my thoughts on each. It should also be mention that I am really not a fan of the Halo games. I thought Halo 1 was okay and I do still play it on occasion at my friend's house, but it is still far below what I expect from FPS games, even ones from back then (Half-Life has spoiled me, I suppose...). As for Halo 2, I didn't really care for it. I thought the campaign was boring and the multiplayer was fun for a while but just not good enough for me to enjoy it for more than a few minutes at a time. By Halo 3 it became clear that I was just not their target audience and today will only play Infection games. However, I have read several of the Halo-verse novels and do find the setting to be pretty interesting. Anyway, I hope that gives you some idea of what kind of person it is giving this opinion.

Right, I also REALLY LIKE ANIME.

Origins- meh, it was okay. Nothing more than a history of the Halo-verse up to the end of Halo 3. It may have been a mistake for them to put this one first, thought I can see why they did, because I was almost tempted to just shut it off and go play Oblivion or something...

The Duel- I liked this one. I thought that the animation was strange but in a good way, and the fighting was pretty cool. The main flaw (at least for me) of this one was that the story overdosed on cliche and died foaming at the mouth in a gutter somewhere, though the badassery more than made up for it. If I wanted a story that made me think, I wouldn't be viewing anything related to Halo.

Homecoming- I enjoyed this one as well, definitely more so than the other two. One of the things that I just don't like about Halo is Master Chief, who suffers from Gears of War syndrome, or uninteresting-unfeeling-why-won't-you-just-die-already-protagonist-itis. This short just went out of it's way to make the Spartans seem human, and I felt more sympathy for the spartan in this 20-minute or so short than I did for MC after numerous hours of campaign spread across three games. Forget my comment about story that I wrote up there in the section for The Duel; I enjoyed the story here a lot. There's only one thing I don't like about this short: the back flip the spartan does near the beginning. It just seems pointless, like they were watching a near-finished version of the short and thought "we need more back flips AND WE NEED THEM NOW".

Odd One Out- So... apparently quite a few people didn't like this one. I did. Clearly, this short was not trying to take itself seriously, instead deciding to give us some good ol'-fashion over-the-top DBZ-style fights. Don't get lost in how stupid this short is, just sit back and realize that you just watched a SPARTAN GET EATEN BY A TYRANNOSAURUS REX. They could spend the rest of the damn thing playing chess for all I care, because A SPARTAN WAS JUST EATEN BY A TYRANNOSAURUS REX. If that did not put a smile on your face, then you have lost the ability to feel joy and naught but misery lies in your future.

Prototype- along with Homecoming, I thought Prototype was one of the better shorts on this disc. The fighting can only be described as being CRAZY AWESOME (yes, the capital letters were necessary) and I found what story there was to be pretty good for a Halo-related short. That's all I have to say about it, so stop looking at me. Seriously, stop it, I have nothing more to say about Prototype. Nothing at all. Sorry... OKAY, FINE! I almost cried after watching it. Almost. There, are you happy.

I have yet to watch the remaining shorts, though when I find some time I shall. All in all it's better than what I expected, even if Origins almost bored me to death.
"Free will is an illusion, and everyone is going to do what they are going to do. This is because before they do it, they're going to have done it, and afterwards they've already done it."

"So it goes."

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#25 Post by Lief »

I recently acquired this, and I have to say it is pretty [censored] awesome!

They were all pretty good, with Origins giving some backstory into the Halo universe. The Duel was pretty good, full of action, though it could have been better if it hadn't been "painted" animation.

foxfireattack
Master

#26 Post by foxfireattack »

Locke357 wrote:Bungie didn't make Halo Wars, -_- see my last post.
One last comment on that.

Halo was originally designed to be an RTS like halo wars. I thought that was a cool fact.
dA | fA

THAT1ANDONLY
Council Member

#27 Post by THAT1ANDONLY »

Heres my thoughts on each of the shorts.

Origins I - Awesome. I love how we finally get to see what the forerunners looked like. And the animated Flud was eye candy, seeing all the different shapes they take.

Origins II - Even more awesome then the first. Seeing the beginning of man, up into the halo saga. Watching as man fights man, then man fights alien, then man and alien fights parasite. I think thats the key to piece on Earth. The world needs a common enemy. :grin:

The Duel - LAME!!! I see what they're trying to get at with the honor thing. But "ELITES ARE NOT JAPANESE!!" Sure they share the same honor morals. But so do middle eastern's. An Elite in a keffiyeh is just as silly as an Elite wearing what ever those samari clothes are.

Homecoming - The narrator in the beginning was horrible. A great concept. But off from the story. In the book, Master chief had complete control of the other Spartans by loyalty. (And brainwash from the training) The Spartans couldn't imagine anything else other then military life. Witch is why this story is a bit weird. They must of been Spartan III's, but they're not. Other then that, it was cool. Got to see a Flash Clone. And they're short life span.

Odd One Out - It's almost like an insult. It has a bit of a story, but WHO CARES!!! IT WAS STUPID!!!

Prototype - 8) Deep man, real deep. I like the whole Gundum thing going on. But mostly what I like is that its the story of a Marine! Sure, Halo's about Spartans, AI's, and aliens. But who's doing the real fighting? THE UNSC!!!... Seeing covenant explode into pieces is eye candy, especially that hunter. The Marine chick dieing was voiced good. It was sad.

The Babysitter - Well done. Is what comes to mind. The story was interesting, the animation was cool, and we get to see an Anime Dutch. The little whinny [censored] ODST was annoying. And the brutes looked like vikings. But everything else made up for it. And the Spartan ended up to be a chick- an 8 foot chick- an 8 foot albino chick! what are the odds? :grin: (I like to joke with my friends who watch it. I say "Check it out. Japanese are raciest. Theres one black guy... guess who dies first. :grin: hahaha)

The Package - They saved the best for last. This was over the top awesome! You get to see Kelly and Fred. (If you read the book. You were excited as I was. :) ) They could of used the original voice for Master Chief, but oh well. You get to see Spartans at they're best. And personaly I love the Halo story sooooo much. I think the game really reduces the Spartans capability's. Which is why I want to see other things come from Halo other the first person shooters. And this Dr. Halsey looked a whole lot better then the evil looking one in "Homecoming". (Once again. Japanese are raciest. One black guy, and the first to die is... :wink: you got it.)