How did you get into webcomics?

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Ferret-X
Apprentice

How did you get into webcomics?

#1 Post by Ferret-X »

As the topic says how did you get introduced to and start reading the medium known as webcomics?

The first webcomic I read is one that kind of stopped updating was called Pocket Dragons or something like that. However I didn't have real internet yet (I was at my grandparents) so I kind of forgot about it for awhile. Then I read author John Ringo's Legend of the Aldenata series. One of the books had some comics in the back and...hey that ferret looked familiar! I looked up Pocket Dragons again and it was fanart posted as a filler of the ferret Kiki from Sluggy Freelance. So I started reading Sluggy (and at the time thought it was the BEST THING EVAR ZOMG (<I was...like 12. So that's a pretty accurate rendition of my reaction)) So I decided I liked webcomics, did a search and quickly came across one of those top 100 sites ^.^ Now I'm addicted...
Click, click, click the draggies and eggs ImageImageImageImageImage
"Do you ever get the feeling you were supposed to be the son and [your brother] was supposed to be the daughter?" -My mom

Locke357
Grand Templar

Re: How did you get into webcomics?

#2 Post by Locke357 »

Hmm, for me a friend of mine introduced me to Better Days. x3 After that I discovered XKCD and TwoKinds ^_^ I don't follow many other webcomics, though.

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#3 Post by Verilidaine »

I...honestly don't remember how I got into webcomics. Which is really strange, it seems like something I would recall. I think it might have been Boy Meets Boy (<3), though for the life of me I have no idea how I found it. After that I started clicking around on comics that people had linked from their sites, catching up on archives...now I follow about 20 which update anywhere from never to frequently. ^^

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#4 Post by Sebbie »

I think on of the first comics I read regularly was xkcd, which I probably found via someone in my classes or whatnot (I'm a physics major, so xkcd is right up my alley). Then I got StumbleUpon and found a bunch of comics through that; that's also how I found TwoKinds. Then after meeting some of the forumites and talking to them, they recommended me some other comics. So yeah, that's the short of it. Word of mouth, random internet surfing, then word of mouth again.
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Blazeofspikes
Council Member

#5 Post by Blazeofspikes »

Hmm strange I can't remember what got me into webcomics. I remember that I use to check VGcats every once in a while but I never really sat down and read all of it. Heck the only stuff I actually read were manga at the time on onemanga.com and Black cat which was good enough to encourage me to actually buy it. As for webcomics maybe it was Aoihouse or twokinds that got me into reading web comics although I can't exactly remember much on this topic. >.>

Bane Dragon
Templar GrandMaster

#6 Post by Bane Dragon »

How I got into them was weird. O.o

Was googling random things as I thought of them, I thought of some random comic I used to read (can't remember which anymore. DX) and at the bottom, it said "web comics". Needless to say, I was obviously interested, so I clicked. Guess which site popped up first when I clicked that? None other than TWC.

^
|
|
End of story.
Image Image
What's this say about me? O.o

Holy_458
Le soldat sans Grammaire

#7 Post by Holy_458 »

I...can't remember exactly how I got into web comics. I mean, I've seen them since I discovered the internet, but I never started really getting into any. I remember the first comic I read from start to finish was "1/0", my friend said it was a good one that will play with your head a bit, and besides the ok artwork, it did mess with me at times. After that he showed me XKCD and it kinda just snowballed.
JediGuy wrote:Why am I sensing that that's going to wind up in a signature somewhere?
Wynni wrote:I love you weirdos. You're my kind of mixed nuts.

Scherzo
Merchant
Location: In front of my computer. Or maybe at the gym. Then again, I'm probably surfing the internet.

#8 Post by Scherzo »

Sebbie wrote:I think on of the first comics I read regularly was xkcd, which I probably found via someone in my classes or whatnot (I'm a physics major, so xkcd is right up my alley). Then I got StumbleUpon and found a bunch of comics through that; that's also how I found TwoKinds. Then after meeting some of the forumites and talking to them, they recommended me some other comics. So yeah, that's the short of it. Word of mouth, random internet surfing, then word of mouth again.
Heh, my physics teacher put xkcd strips on all of his tests, so I guess that's what got me started...

I found TWC a long time later, though. A friend of mine showed me Order of the Stick, which also had ErfWorld linked on the site. In ErfWorld, the main character has a webcomic called Hamstard, so I decided to type in "hamstard.com" in the address bar. Apparently the authors created the site as a joke, but it was a good one and I clicked on the "Vote" button.

My life has never been the same since then.

AzeNaku
Templar Inner Circle

#9 Post by AzeNaku »

VG Cats. It's all Scott's fault. :karen:

I got here from Yosh!, Sage's comic, so all the mayhem I've caused is his fault. :kathrin:
Set Azers to "Pun". ImageImageImage

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#10 Post by FastChapter »

I place blame firmly on the shoulders of VGCats. :)

the big c
Traveler

#11 Post by the big c »

I ran arcoss CAD three years back and then i found links to other web comics now i read like 60
Click that or somthing ----> Image

hands_of_stealth
Grand Templar

#12 Post by hands_of_stealth »

I read bleedman's comics, still reading now.

coal
Pumpkin Hunter

#13 Post by coal »

TSOALR
- I <3 Harken and Kren
They will always have a special place in my heart even after they have been Ka-discontinuded... (;_;)

FOR THE EMPEROR'S POINTY STICKS!

Tygron
Notakitty!

#14 Post by Tygron »

Well for me it goes like this.

I went on youtube to look for a videogame review for 007 Quantum of Solace because I wanted to see what XPlay said about it. This was also around the time I was kinda getting into furries. The person who uploaded the video had a furry avatar (Fisk from Better Days) and I looked on his channel to see if there was anything furry on it. Instead I found a link to his website... which turned out to be Jay Naylors page. I saw the webcomic Better Days and started reading. Then one day I was on Roosterteeth's site looking through peoples photo's, when I find a few short strips and a tigergirl standing on her head (Flora from TK obviously lol) and it said the name of the comic. I google'd it and that led to Toms DA I believe, then to here. After that i've just been linked to many other comics that I would have otherwise not known existed.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#15 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Started with WTF comics, enjoyed them for quite a while. The whole idea appealed to me, mostly because I was a. a comic book nerd and b. twelve and therefore owning no forseeable source of income other than high-pitched whining.

My love of comics started with Spiderman though...freaking loved the cartoon, and comics were like cartoons you could take with you and not get yelled at to keep the noise down. :3

Don't exactly know how I got into the whole furry scene though...

(Also, why is Better Days so freaking popular? Read the whole thing, still think that the first few chapters are some of the most screwed up literature I've ever read. I say this as someone who reads Stephen King and H.P. Lovecraft as a pastime, btw.)
VERY, GOOD