Global Warming

Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Re: Global Warming

#121 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

It's possible to be liberal enough to piss off insomniac?
VERY, GOOD

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#122 Post by Insomniac »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:It's possible to be liberal enough to piss off insomniac?
Oh, trust me, fanaticism is not being liberal. Just like putting one's head in the sand isn't being conservative, and being a member of al Qaeda doesn't make one a good Muslim, and agreeing with bunk, easily disproved 'science' doesn't make one a good scientist. I don't know anyone that died on 9/11, it didn't affect my life in any way that I've even noticed other than politics, but as a liberal, I have a possibly more than healthy hatred for fanatics. And I really, really don't want to hate you, Kinuki.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#123 Post by Kinuki »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:It's possible to be liberal enough to piss off insomniac?
Dunno if you refer to me, as I don't ascribe to that right/left axis theory nonsense, but if you do, be advised that writing off belief in hard facts and aspiration to protect America (and everybody else, really) from the consequences of environmental degradation as "liberal" tells more about you and your ideology than about mine.

That said, tell me what you would people who unquestioningly accept whatever opinions their ideologues trot out, defend their ideologues interests with ever increasing aggressiveness and don't realize said ideologues consist of members of industries that perceive, say, environment protection programs as threats to their business models?

Fanatics, perhaps? Lots of Americans who describe themselves as conservative?
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#124 Post by Insomniac »

Kinuki wrote:
Dunno if you refer to me, as I don't ascribe to that right/left axis theory nonsense, but if you do, be advised that writing off belief in hard facts and aspiration to protect America (and everybody else, really) from the consequences of environmental degradation as "liberal" tells more about you and your ideology than about mine.

That said, tell me what you would people who unquestioningly accept whatever opinions their ideologues trot out, defend their ideologues interests with ever increasing aggressiveness and don't realize said ideologues consist of members of industries that perceive, say, environment protection programs as threats to their business models?

Fanatics, perhaps? Lots of Americans who describe themselves as conservative?
Do you just ignore every word I post, Kinuks? Because if that's the case, I'm gonna have to wash my hands of your part in this discussion. I'm not angry, I'm just...disappointed.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#125 Post by Kinuki »

I'm not ignoring your points, but you seem to willfully misinterpret mine.

Who says those guys ain't paid? There are enough In Name Only scientists who get bribed by the corporate overlords behind the Rethuglican Party to convey the impression there's no scientific consensus about the existence of ACC.

Admittedly, the other half of this bunch isn't paid, but rather came down with the Ideology Of Evil themselves and had their judgment clouded.
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin

#126 Post by Insomniac »

From all I've seen and heard, most if not all of the scientists who say that the IPCC is wrong about global warming are the ones who've gained nothing from it. And when the so called 'scientific consensus' on global warming comes from a group as filled with non-scientists as the IPCC, I'm much more inclined to side with the scientists who had to threaten legal action to get their names taken off of the IPCC list and have received death threats from fanatics for their assertions. The fact of the matter is, scientists have more to gain from saying that there's a problem than from saying that no those frauds are wrong there's not a problem. Tens of thousands of jobs depend on global warming being a problem. It's my belief that at least some percentage of the scientists who fanatically defend their stance on global warming being a problem when their theories have been as thoroughly disproved by science as creation has only do so because they know that if they admit they were wrong years after it's been proven, they could be taken to court for defrauding the government. In several countries. It's not that the so called 'deniers' are being paid to deny. It's that the non-'deniers' are afraid of not only losing a job, but of being taken to court for fraud in several countries and either losing every penny to their name or dying in prison.

Yash
Administrator

#127 Post by Yash »

Alright, instead of handing out warnings for off-topic spam and arguing about things that belong in PM chat, (Especially you Kinuki, running around and going "look everyone lots of Americans are fanatics because they're conservative!111". You're on strike two, strike three will get your Media board access revoked) I'm going to go ahead and lock this thread, as it's clearly turning into drama and not an actual discussion.
Forum Rules.

"Any fool can criticize, condemn, and complain - but it takes character and self-control to be understanding and forgiving." - Dale Carnegie