Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Silver Seren
Templar Inner Circle

Re: Avatar

#106 Post by Silver Seren »

Well, I doubt you would be able to find it at the library, if that's what you mean.

But if you want to buy it, you can get it off of Amazon and a few other places. Only $10, which is a pretty good price.

Nuff
The One With the Ears

#107 Post by Nuff »

Well, I say this christmas eve and before new years too and I've really enjoyed it. This is what a blockbuster is meant to be (unlike those utterly terrible Transformer movies) and by that I mean, awesome.
Silver Seren wrote:These writing have been condensed, sorta, into a book called Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora, which acts as a sort of a field guide for humans going to Pandora. It talks about...pretty much everything. It's 224 pages and I really want to read it.
Lucky for us in the UK it goes by the much more managable name of Avatar: The Field Guide to Pandora

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#108 Post by Ster Zetanee »

Silver Seren wrote:I saw it two days ago. It was perfect and easily became my favorite movie of all time. The graphics were astounding, to the point that it really is impossible to tell, especially if you're just looking at a photograph, that the Na'Vi are completely digital. They look like real people with costume makeup on, but they aren't. That's the most amazing part for me. The storyline wasn't great, but I thought it was passable. They took a bit of a different take on the "everything being connected" theme with them literally being able to connect with their...tentacle, weird thingies. Kinda gross, now that I think about it... :/
I have to agree, the way that the Na'vi look like actors in make-up is so great, that before I got home even though I knew that the Na'vi were made using CG I had convinced myself that they were actors.
I didn't find Tsahaylu and gross, it made the whole thing even cooler to me some how.
Silver Seren wrote:Why is it that no review that I can find mentions that they ride freaking DINOSAURS? Pterodactyls and all...those scenes were seriously my favorite. I want one, so badly.
I have to agree when they're riding the Ikranay, I am really jealous of them too. The reason no review tells about them is because the movie

Silver Seren wrote:In terms of money made, their budget was 237 million, but they went over that, up to between 280-300 million. And then you count in the 150 million for marketing and you're running up against a 450+ million wall.

Which doesn't matter at all because Avatar made over 700 million worldwide in its first ten days. :|

Since it was successful, they're making two sequels. If they are as awesome as this, which I have my fingers crossed for, but they are still using the same awesome director so I have hope, then I will pretty much die from sheer CGI delight
I personally think that I am going to go to the midnight releases of those movies.
Silver Seren wrote:James Cameron is akin to a god. Considering that he's been working on Avatar since 1994, it worked out for them. In preparation, he wrote over 500 pages of culture, social structure, and biology of Pandora in advance. He wrote that in 2004.

These writing have been condensed, sorta, into a book called Avatar: A Confidential Report on the Biological and Social History of Pandora, which acts as a sort of a field guide for humans going to Pandora. It talks about...pretty much everything. It's 224 pages and I really want to read it.
I want to read that too.

My overall opinion of the movie is that it's an amazing movie and if it doesn't do better the Transformers 2 I think I will be pissed off, Transformers 2 is literally just Megan Fox sequences and robot fights when compared to Avatar so if avatar doesn't do better the the human race is losing intelligence for movies like Transformers 2.
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

WTIBoy
Master

#109 Post by WTIBoy »

Man i loved this movie. Even just the way the animals were created and presented was epic (fan lizards FTW!). Another cool thing about this movie is that it came out on my Birthday :mrgreen:
Empty till i think of something to put here

My dragon:Image

coal
Pumpkin Hunter

#110 Post by coal »

I just saw it yesterday, it was amazing with the effects and I really enjoyed it. I saw it in 3D though and I'm not really used to that. To me the only difference was that some things tended to pop out, I think I would rather see it in, well regularly. Still really awesome! :grin:

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#111 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

Every time a new blockbuster hits, everyone says it's their "new favorite movie of all time." I tend to ignore when people say that and not let their ever changing opinions affect mine.

With that said, this is my new favorite movie of all time. :P It was outstanding.

Saw it in 3D last night, and I was blown away the whole three hours. Normally when I see such a long movie, there's a point where I'm thinking "Is it over yet?" With Avatar, whenever I thought we'd reach the end, I was silently pleading for more.
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#112 Post by Ster Zetanee »

Wow, it passed the dark night in sales.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

Dante_715
Templar GrandMaster

#113 Post by Dante_715 »

Ster Zetanee wrote:Wow, it passed the dark night in sales.
http://boxofficemojo.com/alltime/world/
Really? God dammit movies shouldn't get away with having a crapy story and flat characters just because it looks pretty.

Wynni
Forum Momma

#114 Post by Wynni »

old as the hills, my friend, as old as the hills. Glitz gets away with it every time.
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

Traveler

#115 Post by 127.0.0.2 »

Silver Seren wrote:Well, I doubt you would be able to find it at the library, if that's what you mean.

But if you want to buy it, you can get it off of Amazon and a few other places. Only $10, which is a pretty good price.
Well, thanks for the info! This is now ordered.

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#116 Post by Valbrandur »

Will see it tonight with my bro, dad, sister, her husband and my other ssister.

IT'S A LION!
Templar GrandMaster

#117 Post by IT'S A LION! »

The plot may be predictable, but it's seamless. The moral may be heavy-handed (some would say Anvilicious), but its heart's in the right place. The Na'vi may be fake, but they look real. I want one.
MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:Could fifteen minutes with Geico save you fifteen percent or more on your car insurance? Can a psychotic former Black Ops agent turned dragon-man with a .50 cal machine gun babysit Kevin McAllister from Home Alone?

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#118 Post by Valbrandur »

I just finished watching it.

I friggin' love it.

I enjoyed every minute of it.

Too bad we can't connect to animals as well as the Na'vi. I'd so love that.

Wynni
Forum Momma

#119 Post by Wynni »

Makes hunting for protein a pain in the butt. :P
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

Drisk Kayne
Grand Templar

#120 Post by Drisk Kayne »

Well, it's official. The two highest-selling movies in the entire world are Titanic and Avatar. That means that the only movie this James Cameron masterpiece has yet to exceed is ANOTHER James Cameron masterpiece.
"Free will is an illusion, and everyone is going to do what they are going to do. This is because before they do it, they're going to have done it, and afterwards they've already done it."

"So it goes."