Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

Re: Avatar

#76 Post by Windwaker »

Wynni wrote:I think, the movie that handled a "message" best was 'Mystery Men'. Best movie ever for race relations.

No fan fare, no 'hey look, its an INTERACIAL couple". They were there, they were important to the plot, but nobody blinked an eye, or felt they had to comment.I highly doubt Avatar was that subtle with its message.
Wait, doesn't that mean a certain measure of in-world realism is being sacrificed in order to further the message?

That goes against the grain for me. Unless you're watching, say, the discovery channel, I feel that any message should be subordinated to the plot and entertainment value. :|
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#77 Post by Sebbie »

Windwaker wrote:Unless you're watching, say, the discovery channel, I feel that any message should be subordinated to the plot and entertainment value. :|
I disagree. Movies, as a form of art, should have something to say, be it the conveyance of an emotion or the sending of some message. I can't stand shallow, superficial movies whose only purpose was clearly to provide eye candy without even trying to evoke complex emotions or portray themes. They're a complete waste of money and manpower, and they shame the art that is movie-making. In my opinion, the entertainment value of movies comes from the plot's skillful conveyance of a some theme - I guess I'm getting a bit Randian here.
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Wynni
Forum Momma

#78 Post by Wynni »

OH, race relations weren't the only thing Mystery Men were about. It really is a sweet little gem of a movie. Rent it, watch it online, whatever. It's worth your time, even if it does have Paul Reubens in it.

Some movies are just about having fun, escaping reality, or a romping adventure. I don't need to be preached at every time I sit down to watch a movie.

I have yet to see 'Out of Africa' and don't think I ever will, simply because it is such an 'art' movie.

But I'll rewatch 'Princess Bride' or 'Raiders" nine hundred times, and love it every time.

As for Avatar, just because I have seen such mixed reviews on it, I'm going to HAVE to check it out, maybe when it comes to DVD.

Edit: Considering that the scenes with the interacial family involved folks who'd known them for years?
Seriously, who would be making the comments about 'omg! interacial!"
Image Wielder of the Wooden Spoon. Boogeymen and Slendermen everywhere beware.
ImageImage

Draden Draetsu
Master

#79 Post by Draden Draetsu »

Saw it for the second time last night. Was even better the second time! :mrgreen:
Trace Legacy wants YOU to join!... his Legacy!

*Visit my music wall here!

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#80 Post by Windwaker »

Wynni wrote:Edit: Considering that the scenes with the interacial family involved folks who'd known them for years?
Seriously, who would be making the comments about 'omg! interacial!"
Ah, okay then. |D
Sebbie wrote:In my opinion, the entertainment value of movies comes from the plot's skillful conveyance of a some theme - I guess I'm getting a bit Randian here.
Well, yeah, I feel the same way. I view that as part of the entertainment. I just don't think that it automatically necessitates a "message."
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Valbrandur
Grand Templar

#81 Post by Valbrandur »

I'll probably go see it soon with my mother which wants to see it, or my brother, father and half-brother which is about 6 or 7. I honestly can not remember ages well.

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#82 Post by Sebbie »

Wynni wrote:I don't need to be preached at every time I sit down to watch a movie.
Windwaker wrote:
Sebbie wrote:In my opinion, the entertainment value of movies comes from the plot's skillful conveyance of a some theme - I guess I'm getting a bit Randian here.
Well, yeah, I feel the same way. I view that as part of the entertainment. I just don't think that it automatically necessitates a "message."
I'm not saying movies need to "preach a message," just that they need to do more than simply look pretty - conveying emotion is totally fine too, whether that emotion comes from a serious movie with complex plot and storyline, or from a sappy, cheesy, mushy chick flick :P
PhycoKrusk wrote:especially Alaric who, without all that fur, I imagine is ripped

Drisk Kayne
Grand Templar

#83 Post by Drisk Kayne »

I saw this movie today, and wow.... just wow.

This is my new favorite movie, and isn't likely to be bumped from the position anytime soon. Between the great story, characters, and setting, the amazing special effects, and the fact that the whole experience was in 3D, I believe I attained sci-fi nerdvana at some point halfway through. I was unable to speak for a few minutes after the mvie ended, and even now (hours later), I'm still experiencing the occasional rush of adrenaline and euphoria. I could not find a single major fault with any part of this cinematic masterpiece.

For anyone keeping score (pretty much just me), this bumps District 9 down to being my second favorite movie, which means The Dark Knight is now my third favorite. How the mighty have fallen.
"Free will is an illusion, and everyone is going to do what they are going to do. This is because before they do it, they're going to have done it, and afterwards they've already done it."

"So it goes."

IT'S A LION!
Templar GrandMaster

#84 Post by IT'S A LION! »

Drisk Kayne wrote:For anyone keeping score (pretty much just me), this bumps District 9 down to being my second favorite movie, which means The Dark Knight is now my third favorite. How the mighty have fallen.
Eh, The Dark Knight at least was original. Avatar ain't. It sort of combines the soppy, inexorable love story of Titanic with the [censored]-kicking, metal crunching logic vacuum of Aliens and the Terminator films. It's a winning combination, or at least the two cancel each other out.
MrFlyingAmoeba wrote:Could fifteen minutes with Geico save you fifteen percent or more on your car insurance? Can a psychotic former Black Ops agent turned dragon-man with a .50 cal machine gun babysit Kevin McAllister from Home Alone?

Verilidaine
Templar Inner Circle

#85 Post by Verilidaine »

So I finally saw this, and it's a really good movie. I didn't see it in 3D and I want to go back and do that (I was wary...Disney World kind of scarred me in regards to 3D things...>.<), because I could tell the parts that would have been in 3D weren't going to be jumping out at me or anything like that.

I think the thing about this movie is that it's very powerful and emotional, plus it's groundbreaking in terms of special effects. Those are really what make the film. The actual story itself, if you strip away the effects, doesn't strike me as too original, but it's also a classic, so they get away with it.

All in all, an amazing experience, but I'm not feeling the absolute need to go see it again and again like I did with Star Trek. I'd put it in my top 10 favorite movies. :)

But it certainly isn't god's gift to mankind like everyone seems to be thinking. XD

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#86 Post by FastChapter »

I saw Avatar again today with my sister, and I'm taking my friends to it on Friday. I can't get enough of it, :D

WTIBoy
Master

#87 Post by WTIBoy »

I personally loved this movie. Didn't think anything could top District 9, but this just blew it away. Can't wait for it to come out on DVD :mrgreen:
Empty till i think of something to put here

My dragon:Image

hands_of_stealth
Grand Templar

#88 Post by hands_of_stealth »

I thought Avatar was alright.

However, the movie felt like one HUGE CGI showcase.

Also, I can't help but feel some similarity to Disney's Atlantis Movie.

Sebbie
The Guy You're Gay For

#89 Post by Sebbie »

hands_of_stealth wrote:Also, I can't help but feel some similarity to Disney's Atlantis Movie.
THAT'S what it was! I knew there was something really familiar about it.

Sleight of Word
Templar

#90 Post by Sleight of Word »

Saw it twice, and I thought is was awesome. The dialogue seemed lacking at times, though, and the plot could have been worked differently, but I still enjoyed it.

The CGI seemed to compliment what was going on, rather than distract from. Also, the 3D wasn't all up in my face about being 3D.
Sebbie wrote:
hands_of_stealth wrote:Also, I can't help but feel some similarity to Disney's Atlantis Movie.
THAT'S what it was! I knew there was something really familiar about it.
Awwww, I remember that! I need to go see that again.
Heavy Decibels are playing on my guitar,
we got vibrations coming up from the floor.
We're just listening to the Rock that's giving too much noise,
Are you deaf, you wanna hear some more?