Television, movies, and politics

Moderator: Moderators

Windwaker
Superior to Checkers Drive-Thru
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

Re: Avatar

#16 Post by Windwaker »

Talonmaster Zso wrote:I am not looking forward to it. :?

Mainly because, if the "leaked" information I'm finding is accurate, it's a hypocritical movie portraying humanity as nigh over-the-top dicks for the sake of giving a "respect nature" message to the audience.
I think our collective ego could use a little deflating once in a while. |D

Besides, humans are almost always the good guys. Why *not* switch it up a bit?
Tom wrote:Hi! 8)
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Jimmies: Rustled
Yash wrote:At the tender age of 22, my quest for the ultimate philly cheese steak sandwich begins now.

Zack
Templar Master

#17 Post by Zack »

Is it bad I may have figured out the plot already?

I'm rather interested in this film. :grin:
I started a Wargaming Blog, come and have a look: The Fourth Sphere

Talonmaster Zso
Templar GrandMaster

#18 Post by Talonmaster Zso »

Windwaker wrote:I think our collective ego could use a little deflating once in a while. |D
Oh quite certainly, too much ego leads to bad things. However, there's a difference between "ego deflation" and what Avatar provides. Ego deflation is watching the overconfident humans in Aliens or World War Z get their rumps handed to them due to the belief that "flashy flashy tech good" will let them triumph over the unarmed foes. Avatar has (if the sources are correct) a scorched-Earth humanity spending 5 years going near-lightspeed in a straight line to pillage a planet housing their first-and-only encountered alien species so as to take a superconducter out from underneath them, and then having their rumps handed to them because one hypocritical guy with a heart of gold decides "Hey, Genocide is bad, m'kay."
Human (n): Susceptible to or representative of the sympathies and frailties of human nature.

Loud & Proud Humanist. Malignant to Misanthropes.

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#19 Post by ButterBall »

Talonmaster Zso wrote:
Windwaker wrote:I think our collective ego could use a little deflating once in a while. |D
Oh quite certainly, too much ego leads to bad things. However, there's a difference between "ego deflation" and what Avatar provides. Ego deflation is watching the overconfident humans in Aliens or World War Z get their rumps handed to them due to the belief that "flashy flashy tech good" will let them triumph over the unarmed foes. Avatar has (if the sources are correct) a scorched-Earth humanity spending 5 years going near-lightspeed in a straight line to pillage a planet housing their first-and-only encountered alien species so as to take a superconducter out from underneath them, and then having their rumps handed to them because one hypocritical guy with a heart of gold decides "Hey, Genocide is bad, m'kay."
This does read like Battle for Terra.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

supervanman64
Too Curious For His Own Good

#20 Post by supervanman64 »

ButterBall wrote:
Talonmaster Zso wrote:
Indeed. It sounds JUST like it. :|
But I hope Avatar is more awesome. :kathrin:

Talonmaster Zso
Templar GrandMaster

#21 Post by Talonmaster Zso »

If it makes you feel better, one of the leaked scripts (from a version planned many years ago, so take it with a grain of salt) has the entire planet actively against Humanity, sort of like the novel "Death World" but with eight foot blue aliens.
Human (n): Susceptible to or representative of the sympathies and frailties of human nature.

Loud & Proud Humanist. Malignant to Misanthropes.

Pteroid
Grand Templar

#22 Post by Pteroid »

ButterBall wrote:
Talonmaster Zso wrote:
That's what I said.

Nice to see someone else got that feeling. :eric:

Dante_715
Templar GrandMaster

#23 Post by Dante_715 »

This moive looks stupid. It's Dances with Furries.

Hell here's how it will end

the Blue Furries with the EVIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIL human with there bows and arrows (as we all know those are far better than gunship and mechs) the hero becomes a furry for life or something and the Earth is doomed to die without the rocks. But it's ok as that ONE tribe of furries gets to still be at one with nature (since they're clearly better)

or the humans just nuke them for orbit

Cole Stone
Citizen

#24 Post by Cole Stone »

Is it just me or does that sound like Dances with Wolves in space? :?

Cessna Skyhawk
Templar Inner Circle

#25 Post by Cessna Skyhawk »

Cole Stone wrote:Is it just me or does that sound like Dances with Wolves in space? :?
If you're referring to the above post, then yes, that's what he was going for.
Dante_715 wrote:This movie looks stupid. It's Dances with Furries.
da Vinci wrote:Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return.

Cole Stone
Citizen

#26 Post by Cole Stone »

Cessna Skyhawk wrote:If you're referring to the above post, then yes, that's what he was going for.
You're sure? Because the aliens look more like blue Greys with long faces. :keith:

Dante_715
Templar GrandMaster

#27 Post by Dante_715 »

They're clearly 8 foot cat people who are blue

Drisk Kayne
Grand Templar

#28 Post by Drisk Kayne »

They're also quite clearly awesome.
"Free will is an illusion, and everyone is going to do what they are going to do. This is because before they do it, they're going to have done it, and afterwards they've already done it."

"So it goes."

Cole Stone
Citizen

#29 Post by Cole Stone »

Dante_715 wrote:They're clearly 8 foot cat people who are blue
How, without fur? <_<

Dante_715
Templar GrandMaster

#30 Post by Dante_715 »

Cole Stone wrote: