OnLive

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Chaosye
Grand Templar

OnLive

#1 Post by Chaosye »

http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-warne ... 6130.phtml
Okay, so see, there's this thing called OnLive by Warner Bros. which is going to let you play basically a [censored] ton of games with no download, and no matter if you have a laptop, a Mac, or some other crappy computer, you'll be able to play something as good as Crysis or better.
An example of the Crysis thing: http://www.destructoid.com/gdc-09-playi ... .phtml#ext
Oh yes and there's also no download time. And the only requirement is to have a broadband internet, and to pay for the device.
Oh yeah and by the way there's a signup for the Beta going on RIGHT NOW
http://www.onlive.com/beta_program.html
THERE'S GONNA BE WAY MORE PC GAMERS IF THIS WORKS.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

Re: OnLive

#2 Post by Ryusen »

So it's like a remote desktop? Interesting.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#3 Post by Tygron »

:D~

I might actually get this. If it has awesome exclusives like the xbox and halo. No real reason to buy a "console" to play the same stuff my current console has.
[Click the sig to check out my music]
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#4 Post by Chaosye »

Tygron wrote::D~

I might actually get this. If it has awesome exclusives like the xbox and halo. No real reason to buy a "console" to play the same stuff my current console has.
Well it has a ton of PC games that you probably couldn't play if you don't have a supercomputer
THAT'S COOL

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#5 Post by Ster Zetanee »

I don't really care what anyone has to say, I AM BUYING THAT THING!!!
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#6 Post by Tygron »

Chaosye wrote:
Tygron wrote::D~

Well it has a ton of PC games that you probably couldn't play if you don't have a supercomputer
THAT'S COOL
I can already run crysis with everything on high...... it would save HD space though... but i'm mostly a console gamer.
emmy wrote:It's not to prevent the suit from being stolen, but to prevent the fancy mofo in it from being stolen. :P

GodsNightmare21
Templar GrandMaster

#7 Post by GodsNightmare21 »

Wait, I may be misinterpreting what you said, but if your saying you can play games like Crysis no matter what computer you have your wrong. Doing that is impossible. But yes it it quite intresting, I would definitely use it.
Ye, as I walk through the shadow of the Vally of Death...

Ster Zetanee
Grand Templar

#8 Post by Ster Zetanee »

GodsNightmare21 wrote:Wait, I may be misinterpreting what you said, but if your saying you can play games like Crysis no matter what computer you have your wrong. Doing that is impossible. But yes it it quite intresting, I would definitely use it.
Welll, techincally your not running crysis on your computer it you think about how it works, Yes you would be playing it on your computer, but it would be running off some ultra high end computer somwhere hundreds of miles away.
Aero Blaze on Steam for the time being. Busy with college most the time.

Tygron
Notakitty!

#9 Post by Tygron »

GodsNightmare21 wrote:Wait, I may be misinterpreting what you said, but if your saying you can play games like Crysis no matter what computer you have your wrong. Doing that is impossible. But yes it it quite intresting, I would definitely use it.
No I was saying my computer can run Crysis on high. The idea of running high end games on any computer I own is a nice thought however.

I'll look into this around time of release to see if it's even something I want to get into. If it's popular enough I might get it.

FuzzlePup
Merchant

#10 Post by FuzzlePup »

Don't make the mistake of being bedazzled by the fancy promises, this thing has enormous set back which are complete deal breakers for me.

You see, to play games with high graphics you need high speed internet, on top of this, if your internet is down or running slow, you'll be completely unable to play video games at all. You no longer own these games, you have simply bought the rights to play them, like going to the movies, say good bye to your game collections, tangible boxes and swag. If this takes over the gaming market you will no longer have competition between companies, you will be forced to play through their controllers, pay for their service, pay for the games and still never actually own the game. If the service ever shut down or closed, all your games are gone, never coming back, no record of you ever having them, never able to play them again. Say good bye to Wii games, the Wii 2, motion control, new consoles or systems from the big gaming companies which try to revolutionize the way we play games because OnLive will force us to play all of them on the keyboard or their controller. I'm a gaming collector, it emphasizes my gaming passion and inspires me to play more and collect more. I don't just want a stupid list of games that I have purchased the rights to play, I want the boxes, discs, game manuals, etc...

This thing is fine if its just a 4th option, but I'll be damned if we get sent into a video game dictatorship.
"Everythings always better with two scoops of Fuzz"

Tygron
Notakitty!

#11 Post by Tygron »

O_O you bring up a good point... I like being able to hold my game disc/cartridge... It's a nice idea, but now thinking about all the flaws... not so much.

Kinuki
Banned
Banned

#12 Post by Kinuki »

I'm with Fuzzle, I like having a hard copy, and being able to resell or transfer it if I so choose. This might be good as a "Netflix"-esque service, though, because there is no alternative for PC gaming rental, and it's guaranteed to work on your computer (providing you have the internet, of course.)
Finally, the evil plan revealed!

"Reality has a well-known liberal bias." - Stephen Colbert

Chaosye
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Chaosye »

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it'll be just a 4th option.

If it does become the dictatorship Fuzzle is thinking of, however, [censored] DAT.
It's a good thing for people with [censored] computers but good internet though
:D

FastChapter
The Inkwell Coyote

#14 Post by FastChapter »

I think the guy at Ctrl-Alt-Del summed it up nicely. OnLive = Game Netflix, at best. It's not going to get much more revolutiony than that. XD

GodsNightmare21
Templar GrandMaster

#15 Post by GodsNightmare21 »

Hmm after thinking about it, I think I'll stick with buying/pirating games.
Ye, as I walk through the shadow of the Vally of Death...