For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Vay
Traveler

#76 Post by Vay »

Salem
Citizen

#77 Post by Salem »

Where's my epic New Mombasa battle from the BELIEVE trailers? I really wanted to see that scene where Chief gets captured and blows up everyone with a Plasma grenade.

Fatalcrash
Master
Location: Singapore, which contrary to popular belief is not actually part of China.

#78 Post by Fatalcrash »

Didn't even get an epic battle at all. And scarabs die WAY too easily.

"The worst perdition known to man is that which is self-imposed."
--Captain Dylan Rhys

Vay
Traveler

#79 Post by Vay »

Fatalcrash wrote:Didn't even get an epic battle at all. And scarabs die WAY too easily.
agreed, but the system has limitations on epic battles. and they didnt want to discurage people with massive scarab bosses

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#80 Post by Insomniac »

Vay wrote:
Fatalcrash wrote:Didn't even get an epic battle at all. And scarabs die WAY too easily.
agreed, but the system has limitations on epic battles. and they didnt want to discurage people with massive scarab bosses
I want massive scarab bosses...'Course, I also want a 360, but I ain't gettin' one till I get mahself a bloody job.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Blue62
Master

#81 Post by Blue62 »

How about 2 scarabs at once?

Saw something about some kind of uberboss in the paper, but I don't have it anymore.
No warrior should allow his weapons to rust.
Let me cure your infection, it pains me to share it.

If you can't run, you crawl. If you can't do that....well you know the rest...

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#82 Post by Ryusen »

(No spoilers)

After beating the campaign on normal, I heard a rumor that the ending was different depending on if you beat it on heroic or legendary. Can anyone validate this?

Try not to post any spoilers if you can.
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

Vay
Traveler

#83 Post by Vay »

I heard that it isn't different. I beat it on heroic and legendary, but only watched heroic on accident.

Fatalcrash
Master
Location: Singapore, which contrary to popular belief is not actually part of China.

#84 Post by Fatalcrash »

Blue62 wrote:How about 2 scarabs at once?

Saw something about some kind of uberboss in the paper, but I don't have it anymore.
There was a double scarab fight, but I wasted them in less than five minutes. Still way too easy.
All of them have the same ending except legendary, which has roughly 10-20 seconds more footage right at the end. Nothing fantastic, but worth taking a look at.

--Captain Dylan Rhys

Vay
Traveler

#85 Post by Vay »

I would have been your daddy, but a dog beat me over the fence.

That skull OWNS. got it yesterday.

Johnson would be proud

oh ya, if anyone wants to play with me, My gt is Vaenier
I love assault rifles, co-op, and long walks on Halo

Particle Ghost
Traveler

#86 Post by Particle Ghost »

Hang on... I don't get it. You go to a launch event, and hog a console for five hours straight, completing it there and then? No offense, but that'd make any game anti-climatic. It's just not how it's meant to be enjoyed. And what's there for people to be disappointed about? What was everyone expecting? No really, that's a proper question. :wink:

Oh, and just so folk know, as there seems to be some confusion, there is a cinematic after the credits (which is after Bungie's 'Thanks' message; don't do what I did and press A at that point, it skips the credits and the extra cinematic). Complete it on Legendary and it adds a good ten or so seconds on to it. It's worth it, trust me. 8)

Fatalcrash
Master

#87 Post by Fatalcrash »

Particle Ghost wrote:Hang on... I don't get it. You go to a launch event, and hog a console for five hours straight, completing it there and then? No offense, but that'd make any game anti-climatic. It's just not how it's meant to be enjoyed. And what's there for people to be disappointed about? What was everyone expecting? No really, that's a proper question. :wink:

Oh, and just so folk know, as there seems to be some confusion, there is a cinematic after the credits (which is after Bungie's 'Thanks' message; don't do what I did and press A at that point, it skips the credits and the extra cinematic). Complete it on Legendary and it adds a good ten or so seconds on to it. It's worth it, trust me. 8)
I agree, it takes a bit out of the experience, but the launch over here was definitely a lot smaller than the launches you guys might have. Which is why me and my friend promptly collected his free XboX 360 Halo 3 edition kit and completed the game once more. Stayed after the credits, saw the legendary version as well. Still not a beautiful ending. Not after all the hype from bungie about the chief being a great hero and everything. I was expecting some long, bloody slog up a muddy hill with screams and roars all over the place, at least a short cinematic with a decent space battle, and plenty of insight into the world behind the Halos. But no, we get to play Halo 1 all over again. Maybe it's because I thought Halo might take a lesson from Call of Duty.

--Captain Dylan Rhys

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#88 Post by Insomniac »

Wanna know something about the world behind the halos? Read the books by Eric Nylund. Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. Doesn't really explain what the halos are, but it does explain how the spartain program began, which was well before the humans even knew what the Covenant was.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

Particle Ghost
Traveler

#89 Post by Particle Ghost »

'*' means spoiler.

Halo's getting to be a bit like Star Wars I've noticed: there's a big 'Expanded Universe', as it's called. If it's back story you're after, read the books. Simple as that.
Not a beautiful ending... I disagree. Considering the very subtle love story going on in there (yes, love, grow up), the fact that the whole series basically comes full circle (*the Chief climbing back into the cryogenic pod, essentially ending where the first game started nearly six years ago*) and that it ends with *the destruction of the Covenant and the Flood*, I'd say the conclusion couldn't have been any better. Of all the people I've talked to that have been a fan of the Halo series since it's begining (I count myself among them), nearly all of them have said they were welling up at the ending. Welling up! Clearly it's 'beautiful' in some way. :wink:
And come on, lads! Of course the Chief's a hero! He's saved all life in the entire galaxy twice now, cut the guy a break. :P
In short, I really see no reason to say that Bungie have short-changed us; they've delivered a killer single player, a brilliant multiplayer, and an utterly mind-blowing wealth of community involvement. I'd put money on Halo 3 continuing to grow well into the years to come. I mean, one look at Halo 2's track record will make a believer out of anyone. One billion hours of online play? Halo 3 will top that no problem. 8)

Fatalcrash
Master

#90 Post by Fatalcrash »

Insomniac wrote:Wanna know something about the world behind the halos? Read the books by Eric Nylund. Fall of Reach, The Flood, First Strike, and Ghosts of Onyx. Doesn't really explain what the halos are, but it does explain how the spartain program began, which was well before the humans even knew what the Covenant was.
Yes, I know the backstory, seeing as I read all of the books [exception being Ghosts of Onyx], but what I'm trying to point out is that it didn't make its way into the game, which is a shame. Star Wars built their expanded universe partly around the movies, through their games, books, and other stuff. Halo barely hints at it in the games, but the books leave you wishing they did.
Considering the very subtle love story going on in there
I would have loved to see something more than subtle. Cortana and Johnson were the only ones who kept me walking away from the game. But the whole Halo 3 storyline feels shallow. No real sorrow over Johnson from the characters, the Arbiter as a sidekick, not being able to fight the Gravemind or Truth. Closest it came to having a good story was the whole Johnson/Miranda scene. But even that was wrapped up and thrown aside a moment later. With Halo coming out as close as it was to Bioshock, I'd say Bungie should have done better.
the fact that the whole series basically comes full circle (*the Chief climbing back into the cryogenic pod, essentially ending where the first game started nearly six years ago*)
I noticed that too, and it wasn't a bad touch. But it could have been better.
I'd say the conclusion couldn't have been any better.
Sorry, but I respectfully have to disagree.
nearly all of them have said they were welling up at the ending.
Maybe it's because they're fans. I certainly wasn't close to tears. Then again, I'm not really emotional, either. Your opinion.
Clearly it's 'beautiful' in some way.
It is. It is. But not as 'beautiful' as all the dioramas and hype led me to 'believe'.
In short, I really see no reason to say that Bungie have short-changed us; they've delivered a killer single player, a brilliant multiplayer, and an utterly mind-blowing wealth of community involvement.
Singleplayer? Not really killer, but noticeable. Multiplayer? The source of all its glory. Community? Teabagging is their national sport.
I'd put money on Halo 3 continuing to grow well into the years to come.
Can't say I disagree, albeit reluctantly. Halo will continue to be talked about, but I doubt it will ever reach Star Wars or D&D's level of depth.

--Captain Dylan Rhys