For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#1 Post by Ketzal »

[video]https://youtu.be/1rPxiXXxftE[/video]

THE FUTURE IS NOW

to me, this kinda looks like Legend of Zelda meets Shadow of the Colossus. I REALLY hope they're going to implement huge [censored] boss battles that involve climbing

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#2 Post by TinyVoices »

I'ma start by saying that's a really weird Zelda title name. And this is coming from a group with "Phantom Hourglass", "Windwaker", and "Twilight Princess". Usually Zelda titles are a bit whimsical in name, but this is sorta more like the name of a Post-Rock instrumental song. >.> (I'll prob get used to it, I just thought it kind of odd.)

What I want to believe it to be is that it's like Assassin's Creed 3 (animals, hunting, mostly), meets Skyrim (magic, weird [censored], machinery out of the earth itself), meets some game with crafting/cooking/stealth/other RPG elements (right now just because of time proximity, Fallout NV).

I forget if they had already mentioned hints as to what timeline this falls in, but the Master Sword is rusted... and Hyrule (or whatever this place will be called) is seemingly ruinous mixed with overgrowth. Machinery is about, once more, and actually it seems as though it plays some large part at some point or another (magnet type items, Machine boss we've known and loved since the teaser, and the fact that most of the ruins shown had some kind of machinery or contraption in there).

I'm moderately hyped. Will wait to know more about it before going for purchase, though. Nintendo systems have been [censored] the past near decade, so I dunno....

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

By the looks of it, this might be set way far in the future, possibly in the storyline after Twilight Princess, or unconnected to the other games. I love the way it's being presented, and I agree, it looks very SotC. Fingers crossed!

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#4 Post by Ketzal »

Myperson54 wrote:By the looks of it, this might be set way far in the future, possibly in the storyline after Twilight Princess, or unconnected to the other games. I love the way it's being presented, and I agree, it looks very SotC. Fingers crossed!
I'd be willing to bet this is a game after the original nes games

kiabugboy
Templar GrandMaster

#5 Post by kiabugboy »

Man, did they get the guys from studio Ghibli to make the music here

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#6 Post by TinyVoices »

TinyVoices wrote:I'm moderately hyped.
My little bro hates the trailer. Says it doesn't look like a Zelda game, but rather just some reskin of a ton of games mangled together. That the presentation quality was poor, overall.

(Damn, he's more brutal on something than I was. XD )

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#7 Post by Dadrobit »

TinyVoices wrote:
My little bro hates the trailer. Says it doesn't look like a Zelda game, but rather just some reskin of a ton of games mangled together. That the presentation quality was poor, overall.

Ya know, I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with him. Quite frankly, it's put me off even more from updating to a new Wii. If this is what ~years~ of development on Nintendo's single most prized adventure RPG looks like, then I honestly don't know what to say.

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#8 Post by Schrodinger »

I must be tired, because when I saw the name of this thread I read it as The Legend of Zelda: Breaking Wind. I'm only somewhat sorry.
What was it the spider said to the fly...

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#9 Post by Ketzal »

Dadrobit wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:

Ya know, I'm gonna have to go ahead and agree with him. Quite frankly, it's put me off even more from updating to a new Wii. If this is what ~years~ of development on Nintendo's single most prized adventure RPG looks like, then I honestly don't know what to say.
I'm not really following what there is to complain about. I mean, they introduced material gathering in skyward sword, and using multiple weapons has been a staple since the nes games. They're just now implementing it with weapons like axes. They've also done open worlds before, just look at wind waker.

I guess the fact that you can go stealthy is kind of an odd decision, but besides that I'm not sure what the problem is.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#10 Post by Dadrobit »

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:
TinyVoices wrote:

I'm not really following what there is to complain about. I mean, they introduced material gathering in skyward sword, and using multiple weapons has been a staple since the nes games. They're just now implementing it with weapons like axes. They've also done open worlds before, just look at wind waker.

I guess the fact that you can go stealthy is kind of an odd decision, but besides that I'm not sure what the problem is.
See, I've never been a super big Zelda fan, so for them to get me on-board is already an uphill battle. Really the only reason I've even looked into this was because it was being toted as being graphically super impressive. I really don't see that here. There seems to be parts that are fairly good looking sure, but then those areas clash way to hard imho with the comical and whimsical presentations of others. To say nothing of some areas looking downright ugly.

I wasn't looking for God tier PC graphics or anything, but I was kinda hoping they'd lean more towards something like a great looking Monster Hunter.

This looks like something that could have been seen on late game PS2 or PS3 in it's opening years.

If I already had the system, this would be something I'd pick up used. But for now, It's not something that's going to enter my library any time soon.

ReBob
Council Member

#11 Post by ReBob »

Dang, you guys are brutal. The game looks great, I think you should compare it to these so called PS2-generation games side by side at this point because I do not see it myself.

Anyway, for those interested in timeline placement, I'm currently hypothesizing between Spirit Tracks and Phantom Hourglass for vague reasons involving that Korok shown in the gameplay and a friend is hypothesizing downfall timeline right after OoT if I remember correctly, based on all the dialogue and visual similarities to stuff from OoT's world like the Temple of Time.

I'm pretty stoked for this no matter what, but my concerns lie on if these new inventory systems are tedious or not. Those weapons don't seem to last very long, just saying. Heard there's permanent ones from dungeons as rewards, but not sure if that's confirmed.
Image Image
Image Image
I make banners. Want one?
Rest in Peace, Satoru Iwata.

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#12 Post by Myperson54 »

Just a friendly reminder that aesthetics and graphics are different. I've heard a lot of people compare this to Windwaker and complain that the game has "literally GameCube graphics". No, it has cel-shading. The game's graphics are perfectly acceptable, what most people seem to be turned off by are the aesthetics. That's not related to performance, not much at least. It's all presentation.

Additionally, I also don't see what the fuss is about. Acting like this is nothing more than a combination of other games really doesn't do justice to the way games (and other art forms) are created. It takes cues from other series for sure, but what I see in BotW is a new spin on a recognizable series. Hopefully what this means is not that Zelda feels like other games, but that these new elements begin to feel like they fit in with Zelda. I'll try to reserve much of my judgement until I can play a demo.

You'll also notice that after SF0, Nintendo listened. This promises to be a game dedicated to actual quality gameplay and player experience, not to gimmicky controls or some hardware feature.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#13 Post by Dadrobit »

My problem is that it's just very much a visual downgrade into bland-ville from what was presented previously and simply isn't up to snuff with modern standards. It looks only marginally better than what we got out of console games 10 to 15 years ago like MGS3, FFX, FFXII, or Legend of the Colossus.

If you're going to advertise your game as being visually stunning, then I'd expect you to deliver something that isn't even close to comparable with games that came out 2 generations ago. Especially when it's your mainstay high fantasy RPG that you could and should have spared no expense on.

But ugly textures like this, barren landscapes, and so bad it's distracting 2d foliage doesn't cut it to convince me that it's worth investing an extra $400 into.

And it kinda makes me sad because I grew up enjoying my SNES, but they're still putting out the same 3-5 IPs today that they were 30 years ago and especially after their last Star Fox disaster, they're showing that they really can't keep up anymore...

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

#14 Post by Ketzal »

Dadrobit wrote:My problem is that it's just very much a visual downgrade into bland-ville from what was presented previously and simply isn't up to snuff with modern standards. It looks only marginally better than what we got out of console games 10 to 15 years ago like MGS3, FFX, FFXII, or Legend of the Colossus.

If you're going to advertise your game as being visually stunning, then I'd expect you to deliver something that isn't even close to comparable with games that came out 2 generations ago. Especially when it's your mainstay high fantasy RPG that you could and should have spared no expense on.
I can actually see the point you're making here, but I'm with Myperson on this one. It feels more like they're going more for a specific aesthetic. That and I don't give two [censored] about the graphics as long as it looks okay enough to play.
Dadrobit wrote:But ugly textures like this, barren landscapes, and so bad it's distracting 2d foliage doesn't cut it to convince me that it's worth investing an extra $400 into.
So...you're deciding whether to get a Wii U not based on it's library or the gameplay of its first party games, but the graphics of one game that's coming out?
Dadrobit wrote:And it kinda makes me sad because I grew up enjoying my SNES, but they're still putting out the same 3-5 IPs today that they were 30 years ago and especially after their last Star Fox disaster, they're showing that they really can't keep up anymore...
And what, stuff like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy get a pass? Those games have been coming out since back in the NES days and people still love them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

And yeah, from what I hear Star Fox Zero wasn't any good, but for this Zelda game I'm already noticing some stuff that seems a lot different than in the Zelda games that they've done in recent years: more open exploration, multiple ways of fighting enemies, even opening treasure chests isn't the whole drawn-out "omg what's insiiiiiiide" trope.

Dadrobit
Grand Templar

#15 Post by Dadrobit »

Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:My problem is that it's just very much a visual downgrade into bland-ville from what was presented previously and simply isn't up to snuff with modern standards. It looks only marginally better than what we got out of console games 10 to 15 years ago like MGS3, FFX, FFXII, or Legend of the Colossus.

I can actually see the point you're making here, but I'm with Myperson on this one. It feels more like they're going more for a specific aesthetic. That and I don't give two [censored] about the graphics as long as it looks okay enough to play.
For sure. Again, if I already bought a system, this would be something I'd have no issue with picking up used. For goodness sakes, I play EVE Online, that's not what most people would consider a cutting edge graphics game. :mrgrin: (Though they are getting better with recent updates)
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:But ugly textures like this, barren landscapes, and so bad it's distracting 2d foliage doesn't cut it to convince me that it's worth investing an extra $400 into.
So...you're deciding whether to get a Wii U not based on it's library or the gameplay of its first party games, but the graphics of one game that's coming out?
See, that'd be a good point...

If it had a plethora of great first party games.

As it stands, the Wii U really doesn't. Almost everything great on it is available on other systems including the 3DS. What remains is Super Mario Maker, Bayonetta 2, Pokken Tournament, tons of party games, and their go-to Mario/Zelda/Star Fox trifecta. And I haven't been into Zelda since GameBoy Color.
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:
Dadrobit wrote:And it kinda makes me sad because I grew up enjoying my SNES, but they're still putting out the same 3-5 IPs today that they were 30 years ago and especially after their last Star Fox disaster, they're showing that they really can't keep up anymore...
And what, stuff like Metal Gear and Final Fantasy get a pass? Those games have been coming out since back in the NES days and people still love them. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Not only do both the FF and MGS series get a pass for stories, they get a pass for graphical fidelity as well. They both are ~consistently~ on the absolute cutting edge of graphical showmanship for their competition over the years.

Final Fantasy story telling has been deep and compelling with almost every game existing in their own universe with new protagonists and antagonists every time. And when they don't hold up to snuff, (here's looking at you, FFX-2, FFXIII-2, and Lightning Returns) Square gets absolutely lambasted for it. There are plenty of folks who openly dislike plenty of the FF games.

The same goes for MGS. Either you look at the brain aneurysm inducing interweaving plotlines of the series as a statement that Hideo Kojima has utterly lost his mind, or you look at the brain aneurysm inducing interweaving plotlines of the series as a statement that Hideo Kojima can do no wrong. But when they definitely do things wrong, no one bats an eye at criticizing it, (here's looking at you MGS4 deus ex nanomachines and MGSV development cuts.)

So I don't get why criticizing Zelda for lack of keeping up should be any different.
Fubar de Lizzy wrote:And yeah, from what I hear Star Fox Zero wasn't any good, but for this Zelda game I'm already noticing some stuff that seems a lot different than in the Zelda games that they've done in recent years: more open exploration, multiple ways of fighting enemies, even opening treasure chests isn't the whole drawn-out "omg what's insiiiiiiide" trope.
Congratulations Zelda, you've caught up with Morrowind. Welcome to the 21st century of player choice. :mrgrin:

Sorry, but if I wanted those things set in a high fantasy land with the pretense of imminent world destruction, I'll head back to Tamriel or just wait for Horizon Zero Dawn. Maybe if when it comes out and if it and it gets some seriously rave reviews and if I can find a Wii U for cheap I'll pick it up. But until then, I have better things to invest that kind of money in.