The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Sage Asuka
Teacup Kitsune

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#31 Post by Sage Asuka »

This hasn't been updated since the game's release so let me just casually do that.

The game was well worth the wait. I haven't finished because I can't finish because there's so many things to explore. The world does feel alive. Whoever wrote dialogue mostly did a good job. I was so overwhelmingly pleased when characters actually pointed out directions to me or commented on the weather at that moment. It's small, but it adds so much.

The weapon system is clever too. Frustrating at first since the weak weapons wear down so fast and you have so little slots, but it makes sense in the long run as it gives you flexibility. You CAN get a totally badass weapon early in the game, but you won't break the game by being overpowered too early. You'll get a good run with your pumped up weapon and then return to where you should have been. Also the idea of grabbing weapons and tackling shrines builds this sense that you're training yourself rather than the 'level up number' system. You feel like you're growing and that's pretty darn neat.

As is watching people come up with crazy ways to attack monsters. Or travel Hyrule.

It's not a building epic of story intensity but it's an investing journey.

Also Sidon is amazing.
Image Image Image Image

Ketzal
Templar GrandMaster

Re: The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

#32 Post by Ketzal »

I've seen a lot of complaints in regards to the weapons system, but like you said asuka, it does tie in well with the whole theme of exploring and working on the fly with what you have.
Spoiler!
even the master sword has a (temporary) limit if you don't use it for the right fights
I also have to say that this game does an awesome job at the puzzles and giving you just enough of a hint to give you an idea of what to do, even when it's just something that's out in the middle of nowhere. There was a couple of times where it felt frustratingly obtuse, but it wasn't enough to deter me at all.

Lastly, I never found the difficulty to be TOO much, but it was surprising how hard everything hits. Sure threw me for a loop coming from a zelda game.