Stellaris

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Stellaris

#1 Post by Envy661 »

So I stumbled upon a game Scott Manley started playing called Stellaris.

Stellaris is an empire builder like Civilization, but plays in an RTS environment. I guess the closest comparison would be Endless Space meets Sins of a Solar Empire.
The scale is monstrous, and this game is the reason I currently possess no hype for Civ VI, despite loving Civ V to death.

I recommend checking it out if you haven't. It's a slow start kind of game, but has a lot of depth and customization to it.

Oh yeah, and you can create your own furry race.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhLKM2HPLJQ[/video]
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

Re: Stellaris

#2 Post by TinyVoices »

I dunno man. Spore alone taught me not to be too excited about space games. And games like EVE make space games even less attractive.

I'll follow it, and maybe buy it if it ever dips low enough on price, but otherwise it looks better as a Let's Play kind of a game.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#3 Post by Envy661 »

TinyVoices wrote:I dunno man. Spore alone taught me not to be too excited about space games. And games like EVE make space games even less attractive.

I'll follow it, and maybe buy it if it ever dips low enough on price, but otherwise it looks better as a Let's Play kind of a game.
Endless Space, X3, Elite Dangerous, and the Upcoming No Man's Sky are reasons I love space games. Even Fractured Space, and Star Conflict in it's prime are good examples. Spore isn't even a space game, honestly. It's space element is one of the main reasons people who stream or do let's plays of it never show that content. It's regarded as poor for a reason. EVE Online on the other hand used to be a huge deal, but these days is hugely niche because 90% of the playerbase is those who have already been playing for years. Neither is really a good example of the genre.

So don't take space games with such a grain of salt, man. It's a legitimately wonderful genre that has been done right for years now. A few mournful experiences should never be enough to turn you off to a game, especially one of a completely different genre than those you mentioned.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Butterscotch
Master

#4 Post by Butterscotch »

One of the reasons i actually like civ is because it's turn based. I can get my life together whilst i play.
The Scottish Dograccoon!

Gimme trash.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#5 Post by Envy661 »

Butterscotch wrote:One of the reasons i actually like civ is because it's turn based. I can get my life together whilst i play.
I get that. I understand completely. It's one of the reasons I love Civ, but It's also the reason I hate Civ for multiplayer - specifically during wars.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Razmoudah
Merchant

#6 Post by Razmoudah »

TinyVoices wrote:I dunno man. Spore alone taught me not to be too excited about space games. And games like EVE make space games even less attractive.

Okay, I haven't played Spore, but what about it is a 'Space Game' as you put it? What gameplay features does it have in common with Star Trek Armada, X Rebirth, Star Craft, Master of Orion, Sins of a Solar Empire, Sword of the Stars, Star Wars: Empire at War, Space Empires V, or Star Wars: X-Wing Alliance? Those are all 'Space Games', and although several of them have things in common there are also a lot of variences (note: I stayed mostly with titles available through Steam, to make it easier for you to find comparisons). From what I've heard regarding Spore it is a 'God Game' where you are essentially a god creating new life, and aside from 4X games that let you create your own race there isn't much for similarity that I am aware of (and in the examples I used only Master of Orion allows that).

EVE Online is a very challenging game to break into these days, but it's an MMORPG and most MMORPG's tend to no longer be new player friendly once they hit around 5 years old, and EVE Online is much older than that, so although I understand the dislike it still has some critical differences from the examples I gave above mostly due to the type of community it has developed and partially because of the way the game is meant to be enjoyed.

If anything you sound more like a spoiled brat who just wants to complain. You used two very poor examples to explain why you generically hate 'Space Games', with one of the examples not even properly being what you called a 'Space Game' to start with, when neither example really had anything to do with the game this thread is about. Nearly every title I listed off for you to use for comparison has more in common with Stellaris than Spore and EVE Online combined, and until you have played a few more games that are set in space, especially ones that would be closer to "apples to apples" comparisons than the "apples to carrots and kumquats" comparison you used, it sounds more like you were never interested in 'Space Games' and went out of your way to find some rather lackluster ones to justify the dislike. Hell, if you'd never said the titles that turned you off from 'Space Games' I would've assumed you'd been playing 4X type titles, such as Master of Orion, Sword of the Stars, Sins of a Solar Empire, Star Wars: Empire at War, Star Wars: Rebellion (personally I'm not very fond of this one, and hearing that Stellaris is Real-Time and not Turn-Based has cost it some interest from me), Endless Space, Space Empires (IV or V), AI War: Fleet Command, Galactic Civilizations (I, II, or III), Galactic Inheritors (which has a few good points, but the developers seemed to stop supporting it just a month or so after release, so I advise skipping it), Horizon, The Last Federation, Legends of Pegasus (which no longer seems to have a Steam Store Page, weird), Lors of the Black Sun, Star Traders: 4X Empires, or StarDrive (1 or 2) as those are the games that are the most similar to Stellaris that I personally own, and I would've had a lot more respect for your opinion. But saying that you don't like 'Space Games' when you've used one game that from what I've heard had the space elements as almost an after thought and the other is a long-running MMORPG (one that wasn't easy to get into in the early days, forget recently) is a lot like saying you don't like apples when all you've had was a cheap Green Apple flavored sucker, one of the ones that tastes nothing like real apples, green or otherwise.

If you don't like my comments here than in the future either do some more research before you complain or else don't tell us why you dislike something, just say you don't like it.

*EDIT*After watching the entirety of that video I'm down-grading my degree of interest in Stellaris. It seems like a game that would've worked far better as a Turn-Based rather than Real-Time, enough so as to make the game difficult to handle or fully enjoy at times. I love the degree of depth in the race creation system, but the randomized techs (it doesn't sound like there's a true tech tree in there) is also very discouraging. Glad I saw a video to reveal its more distinctive traits, even if some of them I find rather unappealing.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#7 Post by LuckyMudman »

A very important thing to consider is that Paradox is on point for Stellaris. Which means it should play more like Europa Universalis or Hearts of Iron than anything else, and that game has some awesome depth (even moreso with additional patches and addons).

At some points it can get so complicated it scares people away, but that's also the charm of it.
Butterscotch wrote:One of the reasons i actually like civ is because it's turn based. I can get my life together whilst i play.
The active pause in Europa Universalis could be implemented in this as well, it's not the same as turn based, but you still get a breather to decide what next.
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever

#8 Post by Envy661 »

LuckyMudman wrote:
The active pause in Europa Universalis could be implemented in this as well, it's not the same as turn based, but you still get a breather to decide what next.
It has an active pause feature. Dunno if it translates to multiplayer.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq

Razmoudah
Merchant

#9 Post by Razmoudah »

Having Active Pause still doesn't compensate for the fact that it doesn't appear to have a true tech tree. I don't mind the techs currently available for me to choose from being randomized, but I still prefer a true tech tree so that I can have some kind of control over what types of techs I gradually get access to. I think first I'll save up for Mighty No. 9 (which apparently hadn't released yet, as it got pushed back again) and Star Ocean: Faithlessness and Integrity (I'm a big Star Ocean fan, very big Star Ocean fan), both of which are releasing next month, and then I'll be saving up for X-Com 2, the $70 edition as well as Megadimension Neptunia VII. After all of that I'll see about putting $40 towards Stellaris. Now, if I can get some sort of hard proof of a true tech tree behind that seemingly randomized research system (going by what was in the video) then I'll bump Stellaris up to just after the two pre-orders mentioned above as it does have an awesome race creation system.
Hmmm......about what I expected when almost half of the questions I'd want to select a few of the answers not a specific one.

ImageImageImageImage

LuckyMudman
Templar GrandMaster
Location: Croatia, the land of many islands (or so I have been told)

#10 Post by LuckyMudman »

Razmoudah wrote:Now, if I can get some sort of hard proof of a true tech tree behind that seemingly randomized research system (going by what was in the video) then I'll bump Stellaris up to just after the two pre-orders mentioned above as it does have an awesome race creation system.
So I've played a bit of Stellaris An unofficial demo of 1.0.0, as I like to call it, and I can attest that techs are random, and the same time they aren't.

It's a bit confusing, but as you might have seen in a gameplay video, you have three tech families: Physics, Communal and Engineering, each of them gives you a selection of three, which can be increased through various traits, policies, research and even scrapping after combat, at one point I had a choice between six different techs.

The other thing I noticed is that it conforms to a certain bubble of tech level. Meaning that you will always get techs that are seemingly adjacent to your tech level, so no worries of getting an endgame tech as your first two tech picks. An example of that is, in my engineering research, the same missile tech appeared four times in a row until I finally decided to research it just to get it out of my way and advance that combat tree to open up new options.

There are though "Rare" techs which won't pop up as often, and take quite longer to research, but those are some specialized techs that work a bit like researching the ability to build a wonder in CIV, for lack of better explanation.

Another explanation of a rare tech is "Regenerative Plating", you get that after collecting debris from battling certain aliens, and it always stays there as a choice, but it takes a LOT more to research than anything else, though you can speed it up by subsequent scavenging if you keep fighting the same species.

Another thing to note about scavenging is that the points you get are twofold from it. Some of it goes into certain technology, and it permanently boosts how much it takes to research it (kind of like X-Com, where you boost a certain item you want to research), and some of it is just converted into general research which gives you points towards what you are currently researching.
Gabriel of creosha wrote:Far cry 3 Weed burner simulator 2012
Souls Of The Wild: A short story I'm writing, inspired by TwoKinds and Sword Of Truth.

Razmoudah
Merchant

#11 Post by Razmoudah »

Well, that at least implies there is an actual tech-tree in the background. That's a lot better than what the game was originally seeming like. Still, I've got two pre-orders that I really need to cover before I consider X-COM2 or Stellaris. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a very definite and reliable method of influencing the tech choices, outside of racial traits or picking fights with certain enemies (Although, that does raise the question, can you create a custom race that can naturally research some of those 'alien' techs? That makes me think of Space Empires IV and V with their five special tech areas that required a racial trait to research.), but that is a lot better than purely random techs. I've had the misfortune of trying to fight with a game that had purely random techs, although with how the techs worked it didn't really let you 'skip' techs if you got a late-game tech before an early- or mid-game tech as the techs built on and complimented each other so the late-game ones were only awesome if you also had the related early- and mid-game ones researched, but they still took a long time to research.

ImageImageImageImage