For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

Kellard
Templar Master
Fav. Twokinds Character: The bucket

Gears Of War 4

#1 Post by Kellard »

How isn't there a thread for this yet?

After all that's happened in the other games I didn't expect to see a sequel for the game, but it's coming and it looks amazing.
The protagonist now is Marcus's son: JD Fenix.

I hope this game comes out to be a great one, even though it didn't seem like making a sequel was possible.

Heres the trailer:
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3f8VgQ_dqk[/video]

Spoiler!
Let's recap.

So in Gears of War 3, Dom died, Adam Fenix died, and the lambent threat was eliminated along with most of the locust. So what is this game going to be about now? Those things are really scary.
What are they?
More locust?
A completely different threat?

I don't have a solid clue.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Re: Gears Of War 4

#2 Post by Envy661 »

I'm about as excited for Gears of War 4 as I was for 2 and 3.
I just don't care.

Don't get me wrong. I don't HATE the Gears of War franchise. I just think this video sums it up really REALLY well:
https://youtu.be/is08Fon2Qsw

You like what you like though bro. I didn't absolutely hate the first game, and maybe, just maybe, this will be a game I look into, depending on what's different.

I think the overall problem I've had with Gears of War is that I just don't find it to be a good third person shooter, and it has an incredibly lackluster story about roided out dudes without sleeves. It's about as interesting as Bulletstorm was 3 weeks after launch. There just wasn't enough substance there to keep me interested, in very much the same way that Call of Duty didn't have enough substance to actually get me to pick up a new CoD game in the last 4 years.

That being said, I hope I can have a negative opinion on something and express it in a constructive way without the risk of getting an account warning for holding an opinion.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

kevin
Grand Templar
Fav. Twokinds Character: Keith

#3 Post by kevin »

I share your surprise, Tyten. After GOW 3, I didn't really see a sequel happening. Prequels, sure, but not really a sequel (speaking of prequels, just gonna say I like Judgment). Personally, I was hoping for a prequel set in the tail end of the pendulum wars (the war that occurred before the Locust war, which ended just several weeks before E day). When I realized there was going to be a sequel, I was pretty well stoked.

As for what the new baddies are, only heaven and Microsoft knows for sure at present. While there was a glimpse of something resembling a Locust in the trailer, the other creature is definitely new. My own current theory is that either some Locust survived the events of GOW 3, though I find that to be doubtful. Just gonna wait with cautious excitement until the release.

Speaking of release, an article I read the other day claimed that the release date is aimed at October 11th (my birthday, which would be pretty awesome). Not sure if that will indeed be the case.

Side not, I'm calling it, the D in JD stands for Dom. Just my own speculation.
My 2K fan fic story ---> The Adoptive Father: Chapter 11 Part 2 now up
Head over and give it a read if you would be so kind, any comment is appreciated.

Kellard
Templar Master

#4 Post by Kellard »

Envy661 wrote:I'm about as excited for Gears of War 4 as I was for 2 and 3.
I just don't care.

Don't get me wrong. I don't HATE the Gears of War franchise. I just think this video sums it up really REALLY well:
https://youtu.be/is08Fon2Qsw

You like what you like though bro. I didn't absolutely hate the first game, and maybe, just maybe, this will be a game I look into, depending on what's different.

I think the overall problem I've had with Gears of War is that I just don't find it to be a good third person shooter, and it has an incredibly lackluster story about roided out dudes without sleeves. It's about as interesting as Bulletstorm was 3 weeks after launch. There just wasn't enough substance there to keep me interested, in very much the same way that Call of Duty didn't have enough substance to actually get me to pick up a new CoD game in the last 4 years.

That being said, I hope I can have a negative opinion on something and express it in a constructive way without the risk of getting an account warning for holding an opinion.
Can't argue with that, the story mostly is dudes killing things. But, even though I was skeptical about the games at first I ended up liking them. In fact I DIDN'T want the games, they just happened to come with the xbox one, so I game them a shot, and oh boy...
kevin wrote:I share your surprise, Tyten. After GOW 3, I didn't really see a sequel happening. Prequels, sure, but not really a sequel (speaking of prequels, just gonna say I like Judgment). Personally, I was hoping for a prequel set in the tail end of the pendulum wars (the war that occurred before the Locust war, which ended just several weeks before E day). When I realized there was going to be a sequel, I was pretty well stoked.

Speaking of release, an article I read the other day claimed that the release date is aimed at October 11th (my birthday, which would be pretty awesome). Not sure if that will indeed be the case.

Side not, I'm calling it, the D in JD stands for Dom. Just my own speculation.
Yeah, I did as well expect to see a prequel instead of sequel. With all that talk about pendulum wars (which I think was about the control over imulsion) I thought we'd get to see a game about it.

I believe it has been confirmed that October 11th is going to be the release date.

And yeah, my speculation is as well that the D in JD stands for Dom.

Whenever someone says Dom I just go like, DOM!!!

kevin
Grand Templar

#5 Post by kevin »

I figured that this would be relevant in this discussion

From what I could tell in the video, the multiplayer looks good. Between it and the original trailer, it looks like it will play much like previous gears games, albeit with a more fluid feel and smoother animations. Also, the enemies in the video look an awful lot like Locust, but without looking exactly like them.

Side note, Tyten, you're correct, the Pendulum war was more or less a war over imulsion, their world's miracle fuel, with lots of ideological reasons thrown in to further justify the fighting. Gotta love propaganda machines S:P
Head over and give it a read if you would be so kind, any comment is appreciated.

Kellard
Templar Master

#6 Post by Kellard »

So today the GoW4 Demo was showed of at E3.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk5oGeaeePY[/video]

For now it seems that we get the standard drones and some smaller enemies that are very similar to wretches. And the same weapons that were seen in the beta. And it also has some nice visuals.

Now we know what the J in JD stands for: James. Now we just new to find out what the other letter stands for...
Spoiler!
And as it seems all the audience wanted was to see Marcus :mrgrin:. Can tell by the much louder cheers after Marcus talks :roll: .

kevin
Grand Templar

#7 Post by kevin »

Happy to see some actual campaign footage, the multiplayer looks nice and all but I am more concerned about the campaign itself. Love the atmosphere they make in the footage, definitely makes you feel the distance between the Locust war and this new war. The skeletal remains of long gone COG soldiers was certainly a nice touch. As you said, great visuals and sound effects, as is to be expected.

What really made me the happiest about this footage was the evident return to classic Gears game play mechanics. As much as I enjoyed Judgment, the mechanics they used in that game made it feel too much like a COD game. Seeing them go back to the original formula is just great in my opinion. All in all, this appears to be shaping up into a great GOW sequel, and they certainly have my money on release day.

Side note, yeah the cheers at the end of the video were to be expected I'm sure.

Kellard
Templar Master

#8 Post by Kellard »

kevin wrote:Happy to see some actual campaign footage, the multiplayer looks nice and all but I am more concerned about the campaign itself. Love the atmosphere they make in the footage, definitely makes you feel the distance between the Locust war and this new war. The skeletal remains of long gone COG soldiers was certainly a nice touch. As you said, great visuals and sound effects, as is to be expected.

What really made me the happiest about this footage was the evident return to classic Gears game play mechanics. As much as I enjoyed Judgment, the mechanics they used in that game made it feel too much like a COD game. Seeing them go back to the original formula is just great in my opinion. All in all, this appears to be shaping up into a great GOW sequel, and they certainly have my money on release day.

Side note, yeah the cheers at the end of the video were to be expected I'm sure.
I agree. I much prefer the classical GoW mechanics over Judgement's. Not to mention it doesn't let you have more than two weapons at a time.
I recently tried to beat judgement in insane mode and even dough I beat every other game in that mode I couldn't get used to judgement's mechanics. I only beat it in normal.