IBM Japan: The Beginning

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

IBM Japan: The Beginning

#1 Post by TinyVoices »

So, was torn between this and the tech board, but technically this is/will be an alpha testing for a virtual reality video game.

Link to IBM Japan site. As you might guess, it's mostly in Japanese.

The basic concept is that the IBM team in Japan is undertaking a real life Virtual Reality rendition of Sword Art Online.

Pretty funny to start here, but hey gotta start somewhere right? At least the nervous system locks and whatnot aren't a thing yet. But this is pretty much what VR will ultimately head towards, so it was a given that it'd happen eventually.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

Re: IBM Japan: The Beginning

#2 Post by judah4 »

I look forward to this. It's still a dream far away for a full sense vr game but not a bad start.

Ryusen
Grand Templar

#3 Post by Ryusen »

I've never watched SAO, but this is shaping up to be fantastic publicity for VR as a whole. Anything that will get people to purchase products (Rift, Vive, Gear, etc), or to keep VR in the front of people's minds, is a boon for the industry. I can't imagine it living up to some of the hype I've been seeing, but I fully support any developer trying to put forth this kind of effort into VR.

On a side note, what would you call this? SAOVRMMORPG? That has a, um, nice ring to it?
Man can live 30 days without food, 4 days without water, and 8 minutes without air. But man cannot live a single second without hope.

nsamok6620
Blacksmith

#4 Post by nsamok6620 »

I've never played a real MMO. They just never appealed to me, like at all. You couldn't pay me to play WoW haha.

But I planned on buying a Vive anyways, and I loved SAO. Like SAO II only came out, what, a couple months ago? I'm surprised with myself that I haven't watched it again yet.

But needless to say if an American version is produced I will be all over it, regardless of what kind of game it is.

It probably won't be structured exactly like the the SAO game was, so I wonder what it will be like. Though I suppose it could be, and that would be pretty cool. No one can progress to the next level of the world until someone defeats the main boss on that level? That would be cool even if it wasn't a life or death struggle.
Check out secretstageproductions.com
(╯°Д°)╯︵/(.□ . \)
_____________╭━━━━━╮
___━━____━━|:::::: ^━━━^
___━━____━━|::::::|=◕w◕=|
━━━━━━━━ O-O----O-O

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#5 Post by TinyVoices »

Ryusen wrote:On a side note, what would you call this? SAOVRMMORPG? That has a, um, nice ring to it?
Read that real fast as "savor-morgue" >_>

I would think that a shortened name will be/has been coined for the VRMMORPG portion of that acronym. If nothing else that could be fondly named the "proto-Jupiter" game genre. :P

At the least it's a tad bit more pleasant to pronounce.