TwoKinds Game [ Anouncement ]

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

LaVo

TwoKinds Game [ Anouncement ]

#1 Post by LaVo »

My name is Lauris, I come from a relatively small European country called Latvia and I'm creating a game (3D, Open world) based on TwoKinds webcomic. I'm focusing on Single player experience.

On June this year, I discovered TwoKinds webcomic, I freaking loved the comic, the characters, the story, yet I felt something was missing and then it just hit me: Why not create a game out of it? So I searched for any clues if any game already exist (I couldn't find one that was folowing storyline, and i found this little qoute on Twokinds FAQ page.
"Q: Can I adapt your work?
Yes. You may modify, translate, or redistribute any of my non-commercial work. You may use my characters and settings, or draw inspiration for your own work.", so I hoped on to this idea.),
I started to look for appropriate software to start this campaign of mine.

Idea is not to play as a single character, but as multiple interchangeable characters ( for now, I think it is going to be 3 characters: Trace, Flora, Keith ), hence it's story being told from multiple perspectives.

What have been done so far?

I have created Trace and Flora 3D models, rigged the models and animated with basic movements, created basic landscape ( based on a World map Poster print on TwoKinds Kickstarter page).
Some Images:
Spoiler!

Landscape ( world terrain ) is based on TwoKinds World Poster print image on Kickstarter page.
sadly, i couldnt attach a .gif with Flora walk cycle animation.

These images merely show a Prototype version, which WILL change in future.
There is a lot more to do, giving me great challenge.
Hence I had no prior experience in neither game development, neither 3D modelling, though I do know coding (specifically C++ language ). It's more like create and learn as you go.
I'm using Unreal Engine 4 as game engine, and Blender as 3D modelling software.

This isn't much, as it's a very early development stage, yet I couldn't sit quiet anymore.
I have created twitter profile #TwoKindsGame, where I will post updates on my progress, as I will try to do so here.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

Re: TwoKinds Game [ Anouncement ]

#2 Post by Envy661 »

Welcome to being the fourth person on these forums to want to create a Twokinds game... In the past two years alone.

Twokinds Online is the most successful one right now.
I would talk to Judah (TKO dev). He could use some modelers.

Also, I hate to criticize, but this has been done so many times from Fanfics to game ideas...
Don't do a story following Keith, Trace, Flora, etc... Dude, it's being done right now in the actual comic, and your fan fiction probably won't be as good.

Do you know what Tom has left for us? A huge world to explore with deep intricacies of politics and diversity. Make your own story, but set it in the Twokinds universe. That will be VASTLY more successful. I guarantee you.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#3 Post by Myperson54 »

Y'know, I don't say this often, but Envy makes a good point here. Two, actually. You'd probably be most successful and more productive working with Judah, if he's open to letting you work with him. Also, yeah, the Twokinds story is terrible for a video game. There's so much more you could do with the same universe but your own story.

I'd also note that, because you said you have no experience with game design, that you start with something small before going on to make a big project like this, especially something "open-world". Tons of people use the term "open-world" but don't implement the idea well. It's not by any means an easy concept to use in any game.

You're obviously invested in this idea, so I'd say full-speed ahead! Just, make sure to take a good approach so that you don't burn yourself out or become disappointed when you make mistakes.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

LaVo

#4 Post by LaVo »

Envy661 wrote: Don't do a story following Keith, Trace, Flora, etc... Dude, it's being done right now in the actual comic, and your fan fiction probably won't be as good.
Duly noted, yet I will try to do so.
Envy661 wrote: Do you know what Tom has left for us? A huge world to explore with deep intricacies of politics and diversity. Make your own story, but set it in the Twokinds universe. That will be VASTLY more successful. I guarantee you.
That would be more of a back-up plan. I have some ideas.
Myperson54 wrote: You're obviously invested in this idea, so I'd say full-speed ahead! Just, make sure to take a good approach so that you don't burn yourself out or become disappointed when you make mistakes.
Isn't exactly the mistakes we make which drives us forwards? Nothing will be without mistakes, only question is how each of us interprets those mistakes and whether or not learns from them.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#5 Post by Envy661 »

You're free to try, but the reality of things is, you're not going to garner a lot of support on here, and the size of the project you're looking to undertake is nearly impossible with one person unless you go a rogue-like proceedurally generated route for your open world experience.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#6 Post by Myperson54 »

LaVo wrote:
Myperson54 wrote: You're obviously invested in this idea, so I'd say full-speed ahead! Just, make sure to take a good approach so that you don't burn yourself out or become disappointed when you make mistakes.
Isn't exactly the mistakes we make which drives us forwards? Nothing will be without mistakes, only question is how each of us interprets those mistakes and whether or not learns from them.
Of course; I don't disagree. All I'm saying is that, with the wrong approach, mistakes can be a disincentive instead of a motivator.
Anyhow, I mentioned your idea to Judah and I believe he may get in contact with you.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

LaVo

#7 Post by LaVo »

SperoWolf wrote:Either way, my main curiosity is whether or not you're going to actually make this or burn out on it like most do
Well that ain't happening anytime soon as I can be quite stubborn ( in a good way) with doing things when somebody says I shouldn't.
If you know what code debugging is, then you understand what it is like to find one simple mistake you did( syntax mistake, which allow code to compile).
Since I'm using Unreal Engine 4, game engine creation is out of equation. only game mechanics, storyline and art assets left.
Though it will take a lot of my time, I'm up for a challenge.

MoonSticks
Master

#8 Post by MoonSticks »

a twokinds game? wow i hope your plan works, im pretty sure it will take you quite a long time, good luck to you :wink: :trace: :flora: :keith:
|D :heart: MOMMY MOON :heart: |D

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

STOP FEEDING ME MARSBARS!...

LaVo

Re: TwoKinds Game (SP)

#9 Post by LaVo »

Update:

Added Root Motion controller for basic movement ( still need to add transition animations )
[video]https://youtu.be/kjvkZzpLjck[/video]

NOTE: the quality in the video is intentionally set to lowest possible, due to limited computing power. Actual quality in-game engine is much better: Image

LaVo

#10 Post by LaVo »

August-light wrote:did you do Running animation? it looks a lot like GTA V, well... it looks cool so far
For Animations, I'm using Mixamo animations ( not all of course) , some needed to be done manually, some retargeted to different skeleton.
Once I get the equipment, I will be able to create my own Mocap studio and there shouldn't be any worries about animations

foxlord
Elder foxy

#11 Post by foxlord »

Good work son! I for one am pleased so far with your progress and are looking forward to more :D

I personally agree with MyPerson and Envy on the story ideas, using your own instead of just ripping from canon, as I feel that could lead to more expression and possibilities but in the end it is your game to do with as you wish.

May the moon ever shine on your endeavors lad!
The elder has spoken! Ex-Brony Slayer.

Take two old white men, fuse them together, and they become a black ginger with an obsession for power. - Invidian

LaVo

#12 Post by LaVo »

Been busy at university. This game now will be indirectly associated with my Bachelor Thesis ( indirectly - meaning thesis focus isn't the game, but analysis of game engine capabilities). Will have plenty of time to work on this.

As for now i have created animations for Flora character:
[video]https://youtu.be/T7jpsRsB70k[/video]

as you can see in the video, animations have a bit of stuttering movements, this is because of manual animation ( that means i animated bone by bone for every keyframe)
That blue shirt is some kind of render bug in preview viewport.

One more thing, I will have to re-work on movement controller.

MirceaKitsune
Citizen

#13 Post by MirceaKitsune »

This is surely an interesting idea, I like it. If there will be a native Linux version or it runs on WINE, I will certainly give it a try! Good luck :)

LaVo

#14 Post by LaVo »

Hey there!, Sorry for this late update, Have been very, I mean very, busy with stuff at university. Despite that, I have been continuing development of the game.

So what are the new things?

1st - I have swapped, recreated character models to be compatible with Mixamo animations (meaning I don't have to worry about manual animation, For that same purpose, I'm currently thinking of temporarily going for plantigrade legs for anthropomorphic characters for ease of animation)
2nd - Created IK ( Inverse Kinematics) controls, which allows legs to be always at the ground instead of floating in air or going into objects.( quality is quite low because my laptop isn't nearly powerfull enough for high settings. This IS NOT how the game will look. this is a limitation of MY hardware)
3rd - Acquired and modified Inventory system ( Free for any purpose, if you wonder), which also supports crafting. It have Drag and Drop functionality.
4th - Created base for Dynamic Skill Tree system( so far not so much into visual, but more into functionality)
Meaning I can create skill system that is very flexible in both functionality and visual.
5th - Implemented basic melee combat system. Still have to make for ranged and magic weapons.

These are major core functionalities which have been created so far. (creating some of which made me bang my head into the wall for more than one full day :D :D )

But this list isn't complete.
What I plan to do next:
First of my studies at university goes first so development wont be that fast ( also this is the graduation semester in which I have to create Bachelor thesis, as I have told earlier).
On to To-Do List:
Create AI (Artificial Intelligence) enemies to be fighting against.
Create dialogue system.
NPC Merchants, Quest system.
Create a playable Prototype DEMO version with at least Intro storyline( with ability to frealy roam around the map)
I'm thinking of also creating two player co-op story about how Natani and Zen became who they are now.( but that will be only when main story is completed.)
As for those wondering about platform compatibility: I'm using Unreal Engine 4 which is cross-platform game engine. so yes it will be available for linux, mac and pc.

One last thing, I think a "Tale of TwoKinds" will be much better name for a game.

Well, that would be all, for now. Till next update.

judah4
The Cookie Dragon
Fav. Twokinds Character: Nora

#15 Post by judah4 »

Nice IK work!