Undertale thread--because how isn't there one yet?

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Undertale thread--because how isn't there one yet?

#1 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Undertale is a top-down RPG / Bullet Hell mashup made by Toby Fox. It's the first game he's ever made--which is impressive, as this game is absolutely fantastic. Never have I seen a game where the narration is so powerfully affixed to the player. Your actions follow you--even if you try to save over them, there's a decent chance they'll be mentioned.

Undertale's base mechanics require some deft dodging skills, so be ready for that.

The game has a morality system, and based on how you play, the game completely changes. Almost all your interactions will be altered--as will the ending. Not only that, but the game remembers actions you've done--even if you save over them.

Make sure you mark spoilers if you want to talk about them.

And how could I forget--this game has some amazing music!

Seriously

This music

Is Great!

P.S., if you want to link music from this game, please link from this youtube channel, since it doesn't have any images attached to the music (i.e., no spoilers!) Also, if you read the comments and then complain that they had spoilers, you're really dumb! Don't read comments if you don't want spoilers!
Spoiler!
Never have I seen a game's tone and plotline so incredibly different based on your playthrough choices. The Pacifist playthrough has happy-go-lucky humor all throughout, whereas the Genocide playthrough feels like something out of a creepypasta. Except, y'know, actually scary.

I just got the "True Ending," which is when you've completed all the character sidequests and have killed no monsters. Absolutely fantastic end. I've checked around youtube to see the Genocide ending as well. Fun fact--there's a small detail changed if you do a Genocide playthrough, then a Pacifist run after that. There's also bonus content if you do 3 pacifist playthroughs at once, and also if you dodge all the names during the special thanks credits.

Also, once you've gotten the True Ending--make sure you open the game one last time.
VERY, GOOD

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

Re: Undertale thread--because how isn't there one yet?

#2 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

Just finished my second Pacifist run through. Not sure if I'm willing to do genocide. Sure, it's a lot of extra content, but I'm not a monster :[
VERY, GOOD

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#3 Post by ButterBall »

MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Just finished my second Pacifist run through. Not sure if I'm willing to do genocide. Sure, it's a lot of extra content, but I'm not a monster :[
Sometimes telling yourself "It's just a game" is a good thing, right?
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#4 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

ButterBall wrote:
MeaCulpa, S.C.M. wrote:Just finished my second Pacifist run through. Not sure if I'm willing to do genocide. Sure, it's a lot of extra content, but I'm not a monster :[
Sometimes telling yourself "It's just a game" is a good thing, right?
Undertale has a way of getting to people. I didn't hesitate to go Dark Side in KOTOR, or Renegade in Mass Effect, or anything like that, but Undertale doesn't give you a little red bar and special powers--it just makes you face your actions. It strips away any sense of feeling 'badass--' you're just evil.
Spoiler!
Doing a Genocide run, even once, permanently changes the True Pacifist ending, even if you delete your save file or, amazingly, uninstall the game completely.
VERY, GOOD

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#5 Post by TinyVoices »

How does it manage to do that? It seems like the only way for a game to "remember" something after you completely start again, is if there is some data exchange online. There has to be something that lets the game know what you've done before.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#6 Post by Sithil »

TinyVoices wrote:How does it manage to do that? It seems like the only way for a game to "remember" something after you completely start again, is if there is some data exchange online. There has to be something that lets the game know what you've done before.
Correct, if the Genocide ending is achieved, the result is uploaded to the Steam Cloud, and even if you attempt to prevent it from syncing with your game file after removing the save from your computer, it will do so anyway. The only way to completely reset the game after a Genocide run, would be to corrupt the files in the Steam Cloud, so that they can not be downloaded to your machine.

For any ending besides the complete Genocide one, however, you can reset the game's memory by deleting the "UNDERTALE" folder in, "C:\Users\<YourName>\AppData\Local\".

So, basically, best not to attempt the completely Genocide ending until after you've achieved the True Pacifist ending.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

Lief
No hugs, I asplode.
Fav. Twokinds Character: Raine

#7 Post by Lief »

Sithil wrote:The only way to completely reset the game after a Genocide run, would be to corrupt the files in the Steam Cloud, so that they can not be downloaded to your machine.
Or you could delete the local copies of the files and play with Steam in offline mode.

Sithil
Templar Inner Circle

#8 Post by Sithil »

Lief wrote:
Sithil wrote:The only way to completely reset the game after a Genocide run, would be to corrupt the files in the Steam Cloud, so that they can not be downloaded to your machine.
Or you could delete the local copies of the files and play with Steam in offline mode.
I wonder. The creator seems to have gone to great lengths and much effort to make sure actions within the game remain permanent. More of an inconvenience if you ask me, almost like a severe though perhaps unintentional version of DRM, makes it next to impossible to share the game in a fresh state without buying a second copy, even if you let someone play it off your own computer.
All my life I've seen a world that hates evil more than it loves good ~Johann von Staupitz(Luther, 2003)

MeaCulpa, S.C.M.
The Last Gunslinger

#9 Post by MeaCulpa, S.C.M. »

For the most part, the game will progress in the same way on subsequent playthroughs. Occasionally, dialogue will be different, but I think you can reset the vast majority of changes made in a previous playthrough by starting the game, getting to the first save point, and resetting.
Spoiler!
The only completely permanent change can by made through the Genocide playthrough, and it's very minor.
VERY, GOOD

HeckobA
Master

#10 Post by HeckobA »

I LOVE THIS GAME. I tried doing Genocide and it broke my heart when I had to *spoiler spoilers*
I had to close the game and go do something less emotionally distressing, like killing people with guns, before I could go on.

Oh and this:
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

TinyVoices
Templar Inner Circle
Fav. Twokinds Character: Kat

#11 Post by TinyVoices »

I did a 180 on this game. I felt it was overhyped (which it probably was, but it deserves it to some degree. Which is more than how I originally felt about it.) and I felt like it was pretty weird that it became so popular all of a sudden. I mean, for Pete's sake, it came out in September this year but was stuck in demo limbo since 2013.

But after having watched a good chunk of the game, and after following a lot of the fanon and fanart, I decided to finally just go and buy it. It's annoyingly hard because of the use of arrow keys to move at any time, but besides that I love the fourth wall breaking and whatnot. Definitely not a game to take seriously, but also one to approach with an open mind and heart.

I have a copy now, and last night I finished the first date. I plan on buying a copy for a friend, and potentially getting my brother to play this. Even if that means buying him a copy as well.

I saw that Toby has started selling merchandise. Ehhh, not sure bout that. But I hope there is never an Undertale 2. This game's mechanics work around the premise that there is no sequal, and really it would undermine the message being portrayed. For either endings, really. This is the first game I've played where the endings each have their own meaning to them, and that additional playthroughs can change everything because of the fourth wall breaking. But that means that it'd be near impossible to make a sequal that could live up to the first game. A "similar" game might work, but the in game lore even prevents prequals from making much sense.

HeckobA
Master

#12 Post by HeckobA »

Nice Doggo picture ^.^
(https://40.media.tumblr.com/8465eb57b45 ... o1_500.jpg Link for future so people know what I'm talking about after you change your profile picture)
ImageImage
-~☼ Look! It's my Steam Profile! ☼~-

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#13 Post by Insomniac »

@The pacifist ending. If you know why, enough said. If you don't, DON'T LET ANYONE SPOIL IT FOR YOU. Seriously, rip out tongues if you have to. Break fingers. Smash monitors. SEE IT FOR YOURSELF! Damn...Not since the opening of The Last of Us has a game left me so utterly, emotionally wrecked. This game is art, there is no other word for it.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

xboxgamer969
Citizen

#14 Post by xboxgamer969 »

I'll probably do a playthrough of it or maybe even stream the game but I'm not sure still lol

Schrodinger
Worth 1000 Words

#15 Post by Schrodinger »

Is it strange that I like the Pacifist ending because of how gut wrenchingly cruel it actually is?

All that effort, all that mercy, all completely undone because the player wants to play again. These monster's aren't people, they're pawns to move around the board on the whim of some external force. It's almost Lovecraftian. We are the Great Ones manipulating their lives through the hands of someone without a will of their own.

What was it the spider said to the fly...