Horizon: Zero Dawn

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

midnightblink
Council Member

Horizon: Zero Dawn

#1 Post by midnightblink »

I just watched the trailer for this game and... holy crap it looks amazing. For half of the trailer I was pretty into it, then the bomb dropped on who, or should I say what, you're fighting and my jaw hit the floor. First I was like, "what? That doesn't make sense." And then I though about it a little and realized how interesting and amazing the concept is. Just watch the video to find what I'm talking about.
[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBTNDdwVsMk[/video]
Spoiler!
ROBOT FREAKING DINOSAURS. Didn't want to spoil the surprise to those who haven't seen the video. The whole idea that these people have interacted with robots for so long that they consider them a part of nature is just so interesting and unique, and I love the idea that WE are the lost civilization that these people worship, instead of the other way around.
Primum Non Nocere

Myperson54
The Imagineer

Re: Horizon: Zero Dawn

#2 Post by Myperson54 »

I dunno. It certainly looks pretty, but that gameplay looks like easy-mode Monster Hunter to me. That thing came charging along looking like a miniboss, but it ended up being really easy to kill. The slow-mo on every major shot was probably meant to look cinematic, but it also makes the game seem more like a large quicktime event than a skill-based hunting game.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

midnightblink
Council Member

#3 Post by midnightblink »

Myperson54 wrote:I dunno. It certainly looks pretty, but that gameplay looks like easy-mode Monster Hunter to me. That thing came charging along looking like a miniboss, but it ended up being really easy to kill. The slow-mo on every major shot was probably meant to look cinematic, but it also makes the game seem more like a large quicktime event than a skill-based hunting game.
I don't really see it as being a "hunting game". Of course, there's going to be hunting, but I'm hoping for more of a story driven game about forming a basically prehistoric civilization. The whole voice-over and cinematics at the beginning makes me see it as less of a skill based game like Monster Hunter, and more of a game like the Last of Us, where decent-to-good gameplay is merely a way to present a beautiful world and interesting story. It is really hard to have the best of both worlds, but I think the gameplay looks fun at the least
Primum Non Nocere

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

That's fair.

... I'd say more, but honestly I don't know enough about the game to judge it further. Certainly whoever made this game has been using the next-gen hardware properly; console games this year are looking good.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#5 Post by ButterBall »

I'm interested. I'd need to see more, sure, but I'm glad to see the Killzone dev studio making a new IP.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Insomniac
The Experienced Virgin
Fav. Twokinds Character: Natani

#6 Post by Insomniac »

This game looks pretty interesting. I dunno where the 'easy mode monster hunter' vibe came from, it's clearly gonna be more of a story based game with hunting in it than a hunting based game with...nothing else to it. Sorry Monster Hunter fans, just tellin' it like it is.
From the Sergals and Sergal Lovers channel of F-List's chat system (Beyond NSFW, by the way): Honey, you ain't the only abnormal sergal in here. We got three pink northerns, a fairy, and a dork with a talking sword.

midnightblink
Council Member

#7 Post by midnightblink »

I can kind of understand where he gets it. If you were to make the robots organic, you've got your little raptor monster, your weird deer monsters, and a really big boss monster, and if the bow was 5 times bigger, it would look like a PS4 version of Monster Hunter. I never really got into Monster Hunter, so when I see it, I see the Last of Us mixed with Assassin's Creed and robots, but it all depends on what you play.
Primum Non Nocere