No Man's Sky

For all your seizure inducing goodness!

Moderator: Moderators

midnightblink
Council Member

No Man's Sky

#1 Post by midnightblink »

So, not many people have heard about this game, but it is the one I am most excited for out of all of E3, I mean, look at that gameplay preview. I love the Idea that I can discover an entire solar system with it's own group of planets. Video games have been over-saturated with shooters, so to see a game with more of a focus on exploration is quite nice. [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E-EifxkBFQ[/video]
Primum Non Nocere

The Rookie
Grand Templar

Re: No Man's Sky

#2 Post by The Rookie »

This game reminds me a lot of the space stage in Spore.

That's a good thing though, because I loved flying around in a randomly generated universe finding stuff and building colonies, however not sure if we can do the latter, but looks cool regardless.

Only thought is how is this going to compete with Star Citizen, when Star Citizen has essentially crushed every other expectation for space exploration?
Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

midnightblink
Council Member

#3 Post by midnightblink »

Star Citizen definitely look pretty, but I don't feel it's as truly innovative as No Man's Sky looks. After all, good graphics does not a good game make. Did you see how massive the galaxy in No Man's Sky is? It feels truly unique in that they have given us this massive universe that can never be fully seen, and we can create our own story, our own objective for the game, unbound by any narrative or overarching goal. Star Citizen, while looking massive in it's own right, simply seems like a much larger multiplayer version of Mass Effect mixed with Ubisoft's newest project, the Division. The idea that you can go to a planet no one has, or possibly will ever see just seems so amazing. It truly puts space exploration above anything else, as first person shooter elements and space battles are merely tools to help you extend further, rather than being a focal point of the game. That is why I am more excited for No Man's Sky more than Star citizen.Also there is no way my computer could run Star Citizen, but I do have a PS4, but this does not change my decision.
Primum Non Nocere

Myperson54
The Imagineer

#4 Post by Myperson54 »

I'd say that all those points you made about No Man's Sky actually apply to Star Citizen as well. While it's true that NMS has a particular focus on exploration, a la Star flight or Star Command, Star Citizen is just as much about discovery and exploration in a procedurally-generated universe.

The execution is different of course, but really Star Citizen's main difference is its mechanical scope; the player's freedom to do absolutely anything is the underlying goal behind the whole game. Exploration just so happens to be one of those things to do, and we haven't even had an exploration module created yet.

I'm not confident that NMS will have the same kind of depth in non-exploration mechanics, but being exploration-focused, it's probably a better choice if you don't want the quests and shooting and home planets and stuff anyways. Other than that I'd say they're very similar.

And as it is, I already have Star Citizen Pre-Alpha and Beta, and I'm gonna get No Man's Sky for PC when it comes out too.

I am become salt, destroyer of memes

Join the Unofficial 2k Discord Channel!

y7h65
The Unpronounceable

#5 Post by y7h65 »

The Rookie wrote:This game reminds me a lot of the space stage in Spore.

That's a good thing though, because I loved flying around in a randomly generated universe finding stuff and building colonies, however not sure if we can do the latter, but looks cool regardless.
The problem is the possibility that No Man's Sky Sky will become like Spore, which was a game that promised a lot but delivered very little. It's unlikely but a possibility.

While I am interested by the basic idea of No Man's Sky, there are a few concerns/detractors for me. First of all are the ship designs that they show. They just all feel really bland in the sense that they lack any defining features. Nothing that distinguishes itself, like ships from Star Wars, Star Trek, EVE Online, or even Halo.

Another concern for me is how much the Dev is focusing on the mechanics and how unique everything is because of how NMS is 'procedural' than the setting of the game itself. They mention how there are warring factions but fail to give any discussion or focus to them beyond a few quick sentences. I mean, look at Star Citizen. I am not going to talk about the gameplay itself but the way Star Citizen presents itself and what they show. No matter what Star Citizen may accomplish or play like; the Devs always, at the same time as they explain and discuss game mechanics and what not, talk about the world of Star Citizen. Star Citizen tries very hard to sell its world and that you are a Citizen of this world. I do not see anything similar in NMS and it does cause some concern for me.
Local Type Moon Fanatic.

asphere8
Master

#6 Post by asphere8 »

One game you may want to take a look at is a game called Shores of Hazeron.
It's a game that one guy's been working on for years (since 1999, I believe). It was free up until last year, as he was paying for the servers with money from selling his software company.
If you get past the (admittedly terrible) graphics and UI, the game itself is amazing. Think SimCity + Spore + No Man's Sky + Starmade + Star Trek.
Players create their own species (I made an aggressive-looking dragon species), explore entire procedurally generated planets, build their own cities on these planets (with premade buildings or with their own designs), design their own spacecraft, captain or crew these spacecraft themselves and/or with AI, and explore the cosmos.
Players build their empires and occasionally have wars with other empires.
The procedural generation can produce some incredible sights. (Think of the view from the blue-tinted atmosphere of a large moon orbiting an orange gas giant orbiting a small, blue star alongside a yellow star in a binary system.)

Here's a screenshot of a low-tech space station I designed a long time ago. http://puu.sh/g4i3N/4ab9ce5d74.jpg
And two of my slightly higher tech warships with one of my cities partially visible on the ground below. http://puu.sh/gO2qb/397af0b1b6.jpg
Sometimes, I wish I could art.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#7 Post by Envy661 »

I'd say Elite Dangerous is doing many of the same things as No Man's Sky, including the extensive Galaxy that is fully explorable.
In the end, only time will tell which game will have the better quality, as Elite Dangerous, though past official launch, is far from complete.
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

ButterBall
Grand Templar

#8 Post by ButterBall »

I've been looking forward for this game for a while. Mostly what has me interested is it's style. It doesn't look as file-size intensive as Star Citizen and it doesn't look as mlg-serious-players-only as Elite Dangerous (I admit, though, that I haven't done much research on either game's current status lately). However, my major concerns with the game are that it will wind up re-using a lot of assets such as flora, fauna, and technology level for the amount of space it's promising to give.
*Used to be a guy people knew at one time.*
Avatar by druanderson. Some things are very NSFW.

Envy661
Envy x Banned Forever
Location: Back in the Yamaku Dorms, cuddlin' it up with Emi where I belong.

#9 Post by Envy661 »

ButterBall wrote:I've been looking forward for this game for a while. Mostly what has me interested is it's style. It doesn't look as file-size intensive as Star Citizen and it doesn't look as mlg-serious-players-only as Elite Dangerous (I admit, though, that I haven't done much research on either game's current status lately). However, my major concerns with the game are that it will wind up re-using a lot of assets such as flora, fauna, and technology level for the amount of space it's promising to give.
I think it's very clear that, with the scale that exists in the game, you are 100% right on how frequently assets will be reused.

Also, Elite Dangerous has never been a hardcore MLG game. Oh God, is MLG even a thing? I thought it died a LONG time ago.
Elite Dangerous is very casual and laid back - Even in Open play. You're not gonna get attacked by players every waking second. I doubt you'll be targeted at all - unless you're wanted.
The only time Elite Dangerous gets "Hardcore" is when you're actively trying to compete with other players in some way. And things that allow players to compete are few and far in-between.

I think a lot of people have the wrong idea about Elite Dangerous. I've never really had a single problem with the game when regarding other players, or even difficulty.
So long as you know how to do power system management, which is essentially a requirement, and THE EASIEST GAMEPLAY FEATURE, then you'll have no problems at all. Unless you try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnYlCd8nu-M
ɔıƃol ʎʌuǝ ǝsnɐɔǝq
deviantART | Steam Account | Forum Sigs | Otaku Streamers
Message me for access to the Twokinds Unoffical Official Skype Chat!

asphere8
Master

#10 Post by asphere8 »

Envy661 wrote:Unless you try something like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CnYlCd8nu-M
A Viper can have little trouble taking down an AI Anaconda (or even two) if the player is focusing fire on the Anaconda's power plant. Lasers make it easier to target the power plant, but having four fixed multicannons to just spam kinetic projectiles at it can be equally effective but also leave more power for engines or shields, as you don't need as much power to your weapons in the power distribution. (3-3.5 instead of 4 power blocks).
Sometimes, I wish I could art.